• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 isonychia

isonychia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

The search function on this site seems extremey limited by character restrictions. Is there any harm in removing them so we can search for 3 letter words like fwc, atc, gas, top, etc?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

The admins will need to answer that, but I agree it does seem restrictive. I use google to search sites, using site name: subject as I recall.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

I've used Google's site-search feature (which avoids the character restrictions problem) to search WanderTheWest in several ways.  There are others, I'm sure, but this will at least provide some options to consider....

1. Include the keyword "site:" and the address of the website to be searched in the search box with your search terms  Example:   winterization site:www.wanderthewest.com .  The site keyword can be before or after your search term(s) but must have a properly-spelled site address with it.  (My fumbly-fingers keep leaving out the 'r' in wanderthewest and then I can't understand why there's nothing found.  Google does not warn you the web site is bad, it just says there was nothing found in the site name you typed.)  This can be done in the search box at google.com, of course, but since I use Chrome as my browser I can type searches right in to Chrome's address bar (that's one of Chrome's features) without first going to the Google search screen so I just typically do it there.

2. Go to Google.com and click on Settings (on the lower right corner of the page), then Advanced Search.  The ninth line down is the "site or domain" field. Enter www.wanderthewest.com in there (and your search terms in one of the 'Find Pages With' boxes) before hitting the Advanced Search button at the bottom of the page.  The advantage of this one is the form reminds me of other options I have for my search terms such as 'any of the words', 'all of the words', 'none of the words', etc.

3. I've just tried a Chrome Extension called "Fast Advanced Google Search" and it appears to be just a quicker way to get to an advanced-search form.  There's no need to go to Google and click twice to get the form.  It too has a field to enter a site address.  However, I couldn't find any way to save a search template with the site field already filled out with wanderthewest.com so my fumbly-fingers would still be a threat to my sanity.

4. I do lots of searches on WTW so gave myself a shortcut for a quick wanderthewest search without having to type in that long address.  I created a bookmark by doing a search for a term I know won't be found followed by "site:wanderthewest.com", hit Enter, then saved it as a bookmark for the bookmark bar.  In this case, I used three letters, all of them 'z'.  When I click on the new bookmark it does the search and of course doesn't find anything.  But now I can delete the bad search term, enter my new terms and submit with the site info already there for me. (Note: For me, the key to making this convenient was to realize that I could drag the newly-created bookmark across the bookmark bar to just the right place on the bar.)

-Old Crow

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 isonychia

isonychia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hey thanks!

#5 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

Hey Old Crow, 

You saved the best hint for last. This is a real creative way to handle it. Thanks

4. I do lots of searches on WTW so gave myself a shortcut for a quick wanderthewest search without having to type in that long address.  I created a bookmark by doing a search for a term I know won't be found followed by "site:wanderthewest.com", hit Enter, then saved it as a bookmark for the bookmark bar.  In this case, I used three letters, all of them 'z'.  When I click on the new bookmark it does the search and of course doesn't find anything.  But now I can delete the bad search term, enter my new terms and submit with the site info already there for me. (Note: For me, the key to making this convenient was to realize that I could drag the newly-created bookmark across the bookmark bar to just the right place on the bar.)

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users