suspension mods 2015 Tundra Hawk Deaver Springs Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:18 AM

This post is written to help someone trying to decide if the suspension modified Tundra platform will accommodate their needs for an off road vehicle on which to mount a FWC.  I know it is long and I will do my best imitation of brevity but if you read it through, you will find some nuggets of truth.

The post is not a discussion of the pros and cons of the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton chassis debate.  You can find that discussion ad nauseum throughout the forum so please do not turn it into that with those types of comments.  Rather, if you want to comment, please add your experiences with the platform you chose and how it best served your needs.

I read most and probably all of the vehicle size, GVWR discussions last spring/summer while I was trying to figure out the best platform for me given what I wanted to do with a Four Wheel Camper.  And, I will admit it was downright confusing at times  I encourage any other newcomer to read through the same discussions and impassioned debates that you will find on the topic.  The posts will help you to make an informed decision for yourself.  At the end of the day, your decision will be driven, I suspect, as mine was by what is right for you.

I have now completed three fairly long trips since last September and have already logged 15,000 miles on many different types of roads with my Tundra/Hawk combination.  The first was to Salt Lake City (1500 miles) where I purchased a slightly used 2014 Hawk to place on a new 2015 Tundra.  The second and third trips were of 3 weeks each and 2500 and 3500 miles respectively.  The remainder of the miles were logged driving me and the camper back and forth to the Central Valley for the duck hunting season.

The first pleasure trip was from San Francisco to Moab, UT in September 2015 and I just returned from the longer trip to the tip of Baja and back.  Each trip presented its' own challenges in terms of access to food, water, shelter, terrain and weather.  I will share my experiences and explain how my Tundra/Hawk has exceeded every expectation I had when choosing this vehicle/camper combination.

I started out knowing I wanted a truck camper.  Choosing the FWC was a journey of its own but I could not be happier.  There are plenty of good write ups from others on that topic.  The next decision was choosing the length of the bed (Grandby or Hawk decision) that would best suit my needs.  At the end of the day, the shorter wheel base and its suitability for sneaking into tight off road situations and its' urban maneuverability (think grocery store parking in large urban areas) won out over the extra comfort of a larger interior space.  Besides, I am not one to sit around when out camping.  Most of my time is spent outdoors and I typically do not care if it is wet, cold, hot or otherwise.

The next decision was about truck size and weight considerations.  The dreaded GVWR decision!  For me,  in the end, I knew I would rather be wearing out a Toyota than a Ford, Dodge or Chevy.  Personal preference at its' best. That's not to say I was not thorough, as I did test drive, study and consider all 4 platforms. So I knew I needed to find a way to make the 1/2 ton Tundra work for me!  In support of the Tundra, I will say that the brakes and everything else about the truck is hugely oversized when compared to the domestic trucks of the same size.  Some say it is built like a 3/4 ton.  I will tell you from personal experience that it is true in every way except for the suspension.  It is soft and spongy when it comes from the factory.  But, I have been a car dealer for over 30 years and I can say from vast experience that they all are.  It's the only way most guys can convince their partners to buy a truck as a daily driver!  Somebody in the decision matrix always opts for the cushy ride!  They don't build them (1/2 tons) like trucks any more.  They are built to ride like passenger cars and that is the reason you will need to modify the suspension.

For my first trip-the trip to Salt Lake City for the purchase, I added E rated tires, Firestone Ride Rites and the TRD sway bar.  I went straight to the tire store and replaced the tires in the first week.  BTW, I sold the takeoffs for a pretty good price on Craigslist in a week so the upgrade was fairly inexpensive!  I bought the air bags and the sway bar (OEM) from Amazon and a fifth TRD wheel from eBay so I could have a matching spare and do a 5 wheel rotation every 5k miles.  A buddy helped with the installation of the two after market parts and we knocked it off in a few hours-pretty straight forward stuff.  For the trip out, the empty 2015 Tundra 4x4 TRD LIMITED 5.7L Double Cab cave me 16 mpg averaging 70 mph and on the way back my mileage dropped to 15 mpg.  The Tundra hardly knew the Hawk was on its back.  The Hawk is very well equipped and the weight sticker said it weighed 850 lbs.  The truck weighed in at 6200 lbs with me and the wife and a full tank of fuel so even after adding the Hawk we were still under the GVWR of 7200 lbs.  The air bags were inflated to 30 psi on the left and 20 psi on the right and the rig was brought right back up to factory height before the camper went in.

The trip to Moab in September of 2015 is where things started to get interesting.  We did a 10 day canoe trip on the Green River so in addition to a full camper (propane, 26 gals water food etc) we carried an additional 21 gallons of fresh water for the canoe trip, lots of canned food for the 10 days etc.  Boy was I shocked when I hit the CAT scale on the way out of town!  I knew I was in trouble when I had to inflate the air bags to 60 psi left and 50 psi right to bring the truck rear up to within 1/2 inch of factory ride height empty.  We came in at 8400 lbs, a full 1200 lbs over factory gvwr!  I kept the speed down to 60, increased my follow distance, used the tow haul feature which helped brake in the mountain descents and curves but still felt the bounciness of the bags being inflated that much.  What happens with that much air in the bags, you end up taking the weight off of the springs and the bags end up supporting the entire load. No es bueno!

I knew that the trip to Mexico this month was going to be more demanding in terms of roads and terrain since we planned to be off road for at least 500 miles and would need to bring along as much gear as the Moab trip.  I knew I needed a better suspension solution because I was worried about an air bag leak, puncture, air bag bracket bolt shear from wheel articulation etc, etc etc.

I spent at least 20 hours researching, talking to folks etc when I stumbled into Jeff Deaver from Deaver Springs in Santa Ana, CA.  I know the rest of this post is going to sound like a paid political post (the election time cynic in me just came out) but it is the straight up truth that one 10 minute conversation with Jeff put my mind to rest that I had found the best solution for my set up.

I decided to ask Deaver to spring the truck to carry a 8000 lb load and make up the balance of the load with the air bags.  I won't always carry this much gear and I do want a smoth ride when not fully loaded.  Deaver Springs installed two additional leaves to my factory springs and we kept the air bags installed. The drive through Mexico felt like the first trip home from Salt Lake City with no gear and only the camper.  The air bags were inflated to 15 psi left and 10 psi right and the springs carried the weight like they are supposed to do.  I choose to go with both air bags and the spring upgrade because I wanted to be able to take the camper off the truck at times and not need a kidney belt from the stiffness of the suspension jolting me as I drove down the road.  The CAT scale found my rig to come in at the same 8400 lbs fully loaded as the Moab trip but the improvement in ride was spectacular! The springs upgrade and air bags were the right combination for my needs!  And BTW, the Tundra still logged over 15mpg on this trip despite sometimes seeing speeds of 70 mph!

The additional springs added to the spring pack required a modification to the air bag brackets as they were perched above the axle when the springs went back on the truck. In addition, we changed out the bracket bolts and replaced them with grade 8 bolts since the factory Firestone bolts are too weak and will snap!  Deavers handled that like the champs they are without skipping a beat.  If I ever decide I need a winch for the front or want to do an Ikon etc upgrade to the front suspension, they can adjust the leaves again to accommodate the new front height.  These guys are straight up custom and very easy to work with.  They ship nationwide or you can visit their shop in So Cal.  And their prices are very fair too!

The attached pictures show the install from Deavers and how they modified the air bag bracket.  I hope someone finds this information helpful while making the right decision for their unique situation!

Front of Deaver's shop:gallery_6092_1008_935729.jpg

Jeff Deaver is the fifth generation owner of this family run business:

gallery_6092_1008_1312196.jpg

Saul and the air bag bracket mod:

gallery_6092_1008_518150.jpg

Joe checking the correct arch in the new leaves:

gallery_6092_1008_975089.jpg

Deaver Springs uses an old school cold roller to custom shape the spring pack to each customer's specific needs.

gallery_6092_1008_379389.jpg

Adding 2 leaves to the stock 2015 Tundra rear spring pack created a problem with the stock air bag bracket.  The bracket should rest firmly on the top of the axle.

gallery_6092_1008_274164.jpg

This is a shot of the completed bracket modification.

gallery_6092_1008_857739.jpg

New bracket sitting properly atop axle and ready to get bolted in.

gallery_6092_1008_672400.jpg

One Happy Camper!!  Thanks Jeff and the guys at Deaver Springs!!gallery_6092_1007_1060387.jpg

Edited by CamperCamper, 24 March 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#2 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:15 AM

Congrats CamperCamper, sounds like you've got a great setup. One issue, I believe your 850 lb weight for the Hawk is with std equipment, which is reflected on the Hawk manufacture plate. The actual weight comes with the paperwork from the factory. It looks like I have the same configuration as you, my factory paper work puts my Hawks weight at 1508 lbs. FWC calls it the shipping weight, I confirmed this at a weight station.

Great write up for those considering a Tundra.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#3 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

Great post. I had extra springs on our old HiLux and it helped immensely. Have not done anything but airbags to our 05 Tundra with Ocelot, but our Ocelot is lighter than most since we go light and I built about half the interior. Have not felt the need for extra - yet!  As for GVW, having worked with wildland fire engines for years that have many different configurations and packages installed, it is always interesting to hit a scale and see how much things actually weigh. Most of the time, a lot more than you think.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#4 DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:29 AM

If I read correctly, the first time you weighted w/ camper = 6200.  The second time = 8400? 

This probably points to checking our rigs on more than one scale...  :)

Nice set up and well thought out mods.

Edited by DYNOBOB, 25 March 2016 - 03:30 AM.

'10 FWC Hawk - '06 Ram Megacab 3500

#5 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

How does it ride without the camper?

#6 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

If I read correctly, the first time you weighted w/ camper = 6200.  The second time = 8400? 

This probably points to checking our rigs on more than one scale...  :)

Nice set up and well thought out mods.

Sorry if my post was not clear.  The truck with two passengers and a full tank of fuel weighed 6200 lbs. before the camper was added.  I have weighed twice with the camper on and both times were at the start of big trips with a lot of extra gear (including an additional 21 gals of water), two passengers, full fuel tank etc.  Both of those weights came in near 8400 lbs.  I have never weighed with just the camper and no additional gear.  I did check the MSO as BrianG suggested and the weight at manufacture came in at 1535 lbs as opposed to the 850 lbs on the manufacturer's plate.  I guess if you add the 1535 as manufactured and the 6200 together you end up at 7735 camper, truck, fuel, two passengers and no additional gear.  Hope that clears things up a bit!

Edited by CamperCamper, 25 March 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#7 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

How does it ride without the camper?

I have not driven without the camper on the truck.  This rig is not a daily driver so it will spend most of its' life with the camper installed and pleading with me to take it out again!  I asked Deaver to rate the load capacity to 8000 lbs.  The reason I did it that way was to leave a bit softer ride when/if the camper is off the truck and because I will not always carry as much load as the two lengthy trips detailed.  I left the air bags intact to take up the slack on trips with the extreme load.  Bottom line, the ride will be a bit stiffer than stock with no camper installed.  That is the trade-off.  There is always a trade-off.  But, it is a truck so I do not care about a stiffer ride.

#8 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:08 AM

CamperCamper, here's a story you might enjoy. I ordered my 2015 2500 Ram MegaCab last year thinking this was the perfect truck, with about every option available, it's quite comfortable to say the least. I also looked at the Toyota Tundra, we just sold a 1998 4Runner for $6300.00, we never had a problem with it, replaced it with a Toyota Venza, so we really like Toyota's! The payload of the Tundra was 1500 lbs and I thought it wasn't enough? So, I get my fully customized and very expensive Ram home and start reading the weight and balance sheets and number one, it's not approved for inbed campers and the payload is limited to 1,700 lbs! Fully loaded, I'm not doing much better than you, my goodness, do we all have to buy 3500/1 ton trucks? The megacab cost me 500 lbs, but I love that 4.5 x 5' platform in the back.

Good luck and enjoy your setup, most of us have one issue or another!

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#9 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. I will say that Deaver is a lot better in person than over the phone. I think the lessons learned is, its better to work with them in person than over the phone. A few years ago, I had Deaver rebuild my deaver leaf pack to handle the weight of my eagle shell on my tacoma. Scott never returned my emails. I had to chase him down on the phone several times. Its took over 6 weeks for the whole process.The cost with shipping included new bushings and hard was almost as much as brand custom leaf pack which I think Scott could've warned me. 

BTW, is there are reason why you didn't use the daystar craddles? I know its not recommend by Ride Rite.

I have a very simliar setup except my truck is a double cab, 1 less liter  :P and crappier brakes

Too bad crew cab doesn't come with a 6' bed

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#10 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:13 AM

Thanks for posting this info.  I have an 08 Tundra and just put a deposit down on a used 2014 Hawk.

Did you consider SuperSprings?  I have been reading about them.   My truck is a DD so will see the majority of it's time without the camper.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension mods, 2015 Tundra, Hawk, Deaver Springs, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users