Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Full build - Reconstructing a 1981 Grandby into a custom Hawk!

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#41 rudhawk

rudhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Diego '04 Tundra

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:43 AM

That looks good. I like Rustoleum - their epoxy appliance paint is also top notch for painting metals.

#42 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:03 PM

Nice job.  You might want to consider a small drip gutter above the door.  I couldn't tell by the photo whether there was something like that as part of the door frame.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#43 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

EPIC build. Keep the pictures coming. 

#44 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

Thanks guys, for the last several comments, encouragement is a good thing, your kindness is appreciated!

Longhorn1, I have a drip rail to put on the back end of the roof, above the soft side material, but I also see that the new campers that have the option of an awning over the door use an aluminum piece that allows you to slide in the awning material, but also appears to act as a rain diversion channel without the awning on. Curious what you or others would install, given the choice, just a drip channel, or would you go for a rear awning channel as described above? I have both pieces to work with.

I will also be putting a rain Chanel directly above the door. I'm tight on space there, because there is a brake/ marker light going in above the door as well, so still working that out.

Bill, your last comment was very generous, thanks.

I have another question I haven't decided on yet, that some of you might help me with. I have been planning to keep things relatively simple, but when I start the inside part of the build, I was trying to decide on just a hand pump for water, or possibly a switch for an electric pump as needed, or an on demand electric pump. what recommendations would you all offer?

With this question, I am additionally wondering about installing a hot water heater. I'm not sure if they're prone to problems, or pretty simple, and very useful? So any insights on these two things would be a big help to me. Thanks!

The things I am planning to have for accessories include: a forced air heater, a 12v DC fridge, sink, stovetop, two fantastic fans, usb, and 12v outlet, and solar.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#45 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:12 PM

I have another question I haven't decided on yet, that some of you might help me with. I have been planning to keep things relatively simple, but when I start the inside part of the build, I was trying to decide on just a hand pump for water, or possibly a switch for an electric pump as needed, or an on demand electric pump. what recommendations would you all offer?
With this question, I am additionally wondering about installing a hot water heater. I'm not sure if they're prone to problems, or pretty simple, and very useful.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Since you're going with an electrical system, I would recommend an electric pump.

I'm not a fan of water heaters in small campers, as they cut into storage space. We just heat water on the stove and take sponge baths, but try to swim or find a RV park on a regular basis.

I am haunted by waters

#46 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

I would go with the elec pump. Hard to wash your hands with one hand pumping water. For the price difference I would get a presure pump that will shut off if faucet is closed. To save water I have a belly bump switch that will turn on the pump (valve needs to be open) and I only run water when I need to. I had a knee switch on my old Hawk but it did not work with my new cabinets.

med_gallery_1903_734_23910.jpg

med_gallery_1903_734_156057.jpg

#47 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for your responses Wandering Sagebrush and Bill. I'm thinking an electric water pump does make the most sense at this point. As for the water heater, I have been leaning against for the reason WS gave. In a Hawk there is minimal storage space under the galley side counter.

Here's a next series of photos. I decided to go with aluminum corner brackets, and so bought the materials, and based off of measurements I've seen here on WTW, fashioned my own.

I also cut rough iron and matched up the mounting bolt holes for my jack plate mounts. These will soon be welded to the jacks, and then painted white.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242820.000629.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242871.026519.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242892.661048.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242907.155354.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242920.484435.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242934.241345.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461242947.017007.jpg

As you can see, the corner brackets were mounted with three inch roofing screws. I think 9 per bracket should be sufficiently strong, and I was careful to not over tighten. I added butyl tape putty between the bracket and the camper body.

#48 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:01 PM

Nice job on the corner brackets. Are you going to leave the jacks on all the time? If not and you are welding up plates and not using the clamp brackets that the Rieco jacks use I have a suggestion.  Tack weld bolts to the plate you weld on the jacks. Buy some Star knob nuts like in the pic below. This will save you a lot of time when you take the jacks on and off. They would be plenty tight for taking on and off; could get by with just two per corner. I would not do this if you are leaving the jacks on.

fsk.gif

#49 rudhawk

rudhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Diego '04 Tundra

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

As Billharr said, I would install an electric pump. Also, if you want hot showers or hot sink water you could carry a portable tankless water heater. I put together this setup for tent/truck camping.

2.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg 10.jpg

You could go as simple as "timber" from Exped. Portal did: http://www.expeditio...5-v-s-Zodi-X-40

Heater.JPG

The "on demand" pumps are very low amp draw and have plenty of pressure. There can be a waste of water however, because they don't fire up instantly. In that case, if you can run the initial 1/2 gal into a container for reuse, you will save water.

#50 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

ImageUploadedByWander The West1461257228.691443.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461257246.356146.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1461257263.111217.jpg [attachment=23546:ImageUploadedByWander The West1461257277.992857.

All the corner brackets installed, along with rear and side porch lights.....

Hey, this is PokyBro.....and we'll leave the lights on for you!

Well, folks this brings us up to pretty much current on the build. I have the lift panels underway, and will be tackling the roof next.

Stay tuned!

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByWander The West1461257277.992857.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users