Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Full build - Reconstructing a 1981 Grandby into a custom Hawk!

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#61 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

Pokey-
I tried to get a couple of measurements for you, but access to that upper panel is difficult with an assembled camper!

I measured the bottom (triangular) piece to start - I got a bit of variance and noticed the rivets don't all line up, they wander up and down a bit. So an "eyeball average" (you measured 11-7/8") seems to be about 12", +/- 1/8" or so.

For the upper panel, I measured from the upper rivets on the panel to the rivets attached to the lower panel (middle hinge), getting about 12-1/2". From that number, we can subtract out the center to center distance of the hinge, 7/8", arriving at 11-5/8" center to center for the upper panel itself (you measured 11-1/2"), close enough?

Hope this makes some sense to you, but they do appear to be slightly different to answer your question.

Hey wuck,
Thanks for taking the time to measure the panels on your camper, realizing you had to go open it up, I really appreciate it bud! You're right about trying to explain how you take measurements, it's like what do you call this and that. Makes me chuckle at myself.

So, it appears the distance between rivets on the bottom, triangular panel are slightly greater by 1/2" - 5/8", than that of the top panel, based on yours and my panel measurements.

When you think of how long ago my factory panel was made, compared to present, it's an obvious situation of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I'm just guessing, but the slightly greater difference on the bottom panel, may have something to do with how pressure on the bottom panel opens the lift panels with ease, as they do, slightly over dead center like a fulcrum. Not sure.

If anyone else would care to measure their panels as described above, it might help confirm these measurements with even more surety. I haven't gotten an answer back from an email I sent to the factory yet.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#62 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:29 PM

I see some of your posts are before 6:00 AM & others are around midnight - so when are you sleeping?

Rudhawk, the time stamps appear inaccurate by my estimation. Whenever I have posted, my local time is completely different. Although I have done some posts very late in the evening.

Note: When I did the timeline post above, I meant to make a comment or two, but forgot. Some of the long spaces between build activity, had to do with the camper frame being out in the yard during winter months here in Colorado, with cold temperatures and snow. Once I did the floor pack, it had to come inside the garage, which pretty much pushed my wife's car out to the front driveway, so that required a little finessing, if you know what I mean. 😇

Because my build has taken quite a space of time, it led to the forum name I gave myself, PokyBro, it seemed fitting.🙂

Wouldn't that be an interesting thread, to know how everyone decided on their own forum names? Maybe I'll do that sometime soon for fun.

#63 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hello friends, it's been a while since I've posted, but I have been making some progress on my build. I had to take some time off for some important family matters, and I've been delayed on some planned projects on multiple weekends, such as painting, because of rain on the weekends. I don't like spray painting inside the garage on larger items, because overspray gets on things you didn't intend it to.

I've been enjoying reading and following what others have been doing, and I am so impressed with some of the current projects others are tackling presently, themselves.

So let's catch up with a some more photo journaling.

First up, I had some corner jacks that came with the original Grandby, that I welded on some plates, because I wasn't able to use the bands that were on them originally. The corner mount brackets were not suitable for how I wanted them to look, and as shown earlier, I made, and installed new ones. I drilled the three holes that mate the jack plates to the corner brackets at the time they were first made. So, all I had to do then was weld them to the jacks.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465101488.694869.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465101508.490843.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465101526.394298.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465101544.460863.jpg

#64 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

I've also been working on the lift panels. I showed photos earlier of cutting the panel pieces out, and had indicated I was fiberglassing them for increased strength, and to protect the wood from moisture. I used plywood, that was probably close to 3/16" thick (I should measure that), and thought they would work out great. The thin panels that came with the original camper, and the panel the previous owner had redone seemed pretty flimsy to me.

Little did I know, I was headed for a set back!

I thought about not sharing this, because I should have made sure the extra thickness would work, but for the benefit of others, I'll show what happened.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465102099.709849.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465102121.756945.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465102139.690202.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465102157.796429.jpg

Everything was looking good so far, and I was quite pleased with the nice smooth finish I had achieved on the panels. Then the set back became clear.

When the plywood is too thick, the hinges won't articulate fully, which is needed for the panels to fold completely. I found this out when I tried to bend the first panel. Luckily I hadn't installed them on the roof, and the camper wall, before I found this out, and I had only assembled one panel so far. Not much I can say, except oops, I should have seen this at the beginning.

I didn't cuss, but I did want to cry! 😢 l sure didn't feel like working on anything more that day. 😬

So, my mistake will hopefully prevent someone else from doing the same. Here's what the panel looked like.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465103073.805862.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465103131.873086.jpg

Have you ever heard of a dang-it doll? I needed one at that time. Years ago at a family reunion, they were rattling off dang-it dolls. What is a dang-it doll? It's basically any cheap little doll that you picked up and throw across the room, while exclaiming .....DANG IT! It's a better choice than a hammer.

I was able to salvage the hinges, but it was a pain to remove the rivets carefully enough to prevent too much damage.

Anyhow, it will all work out in the end. I plan to take a lot of photos of the next panels I build, as I would love to provide more detail than what I've seen on other posts.

#65 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

Today I worked hard on getting the rooftop ready.

There was a lot of crud built up on the outside surface from years of non-use, and not being kept up, that needed to be cleaned off. There was also a lot of silicone sealant around the edge that would need to be removed before repainting. I used a pressure washer first, then a scrub brush, cleanser, and elbow grease, then pressure wash again.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105317.847024.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105339.518372.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105380.088705.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105405.562678.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105426.683355.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105444.149782.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105481.010803.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105792.403301.jpg

#66 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

On the inside, the old headliner was cracked in a few spots, and was mildewed from water leakage (not something I want to be breathing), and the wood trim on the inside roof struts was also peeling and shot. I have new marine grade, treated, mildew resistant, perforated vinyl headliner to put back in later. So out came the old headliner, along with the insulation matts, as I plan to use solid foam insulation, as I did on the walls.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105946.392905.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105965.062544.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465105982.993741.jpg

Once the insulation batting was removed, I laid the top upside down to see how much arch was still left in the roof struts, which seemed flattened outwardly. Sure enough they were somewhat flattened, probably from too much snow not being removed timely while it was not in use. I came up with an idea to put a 2x4 at each end, and put a slight arch back in the struts by carefully walking on them. It worked pretty well, so I did it length wise, and cross wise.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465106392.104695.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465106436.221233.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465106460.100642.jpg

Lastly, I cleaned off the top surface with mineral spirits, applied one coat of primer, and once dry, one coat of gloss white finish. I will add a second coat later. I use a spray gun for this kind of project out in the back yard.

There is considerable hail damage to the roof skin, but I don't want to spend the money at this time to replace the aluminum sheeting. So it has a nice "pebble" texture to it, and I might not get too uptight if I get caught in a hail storm sometime. Just kidding, I'd still probably freak out.

Most of the time you don't actually look at the roof, especially when in the truck, so that's that for now.

That was a good days work, got a lot done, happy about the progress, and once I cleaned up the shop, I called it day!😜

ImageUploadedByWander The West1465106827.573115.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1465106845.838818.jpg

#67 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the warning on the panels. I'd never have guessed it would be that easy to get a bow back into the roof.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#68 ndflatlander

ndflatlander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

Excellent work!

I gotta say,  if not for the siding color and style I'd swear this was my project. 

Last spring I bought an old grandby off some random guy who needed gas money to get home after the oil boom crashed up here, Less chopping the front back,I did almost the same thing of gutting it down to nothing!.  The project was about 90% complete the middle of last summer but I came across a 10 year old Hallmark UTE in excellent shape that was for sale for pennies on the dollar and I couldnt pass it up, so we spent all summer, fall (and winter) using it while my project FWC sat idle.

I've started chipping away at it again with just the lift panels and new canvas to install and it'll be finished and up for sale as the hallmark will just better suit our family of 4.

#69 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:37 PM

Looking good PB.  My first crack at EMT lift panels did not work either so don't sweat it!  Thanks for sharing your misstep.  If everything worked right the first time we would never learn anything. 

Question for you if you don't mind.  I am working on my interior side panels and trying to plan my canvas sew job for the next step.  With the canvas in place and roof still on it is a bit difficult for me to get measurments.  Do you know if at the front of the roof, is that curve a 5in radius curve?  I know our campers are different models but I am guessing they have a similar radius on that bend.  If my measurments are right its 5 but I figured since you had your roof in hand early maybe you could confirm?

Another question about the roof,  did you measure the roof dimension compared to the camper body?  On my first quick tape measure pull it started to seem like the roof was maybe an extra 1" in each direction?  Maybe so it sits overtop of the camper, not just flush? But I could be wrong too.  Anyways if you are getting ready for a sew job too figured you might have some info to share.  Keep up the good work, still hoping to connect when I make it up to FoCo in the future. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#70 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the warning on the panels. I'd never have guessed it would be that easy to get a bow back into the roof.

Craig, thanks for your comments! Regarding re-gaining the slight arch in the roof, it is a delicate matter of walking from the middle to each end, on each rib, and watching and feeling it give till you can see it bend to the degree you want, and not walking too far toward the 2x4 underneath, so that you don't overdue it. It was especially more delicate going side to side, as the conduit tube cross member bends very easily, as compared to the 1" square aluminum tubes. Of course this was only possible with the roof off, the headliner and insulation out, and flipping it over to the frame underneath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users