• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:54 PM

This is weird. If the nominal tire sizes are the same, any minuscule variation in diameter between brands will make zero difference. After all, tire diameter changes fractionally as the tire wears, and the onboard electronics must cope with that.

ABS sensors measure the difference in wheel rotational speed and would not be affected by a few millimeter difference in size.

TPMS monitors air pressure, period. The sensor has no idea what kind or size of tire is on the wheel. A Super Swamper at 35 psi looks the same to it as a Michelin Pilot Sport at 35 psi.

No anti-skid or stability-control system I know of would be affected by changing tires to a different brand or tread pattern if the size stayed constant.

Unless someone points out something of which I'm unaware, I think this is pure CYA nonsense on the part of the dealer or manufacturer.

#22 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

I think you're right.  However, you might run 35 in a Michelin Pilot and you might run 75 in a Michelin LTX A/T2.  I'm guessing that changing tires is to change weight rating, but maybe not.  The stock truck might have 110/C and the OP may want a better tire for hauling a camper (I would).

#23 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

I'm pretty certain TPMS only alerts to under-inflation, so switching from a tire designed to run at 35 psi to one designed to run at 45 psi should make no difference. In my experience many people over-inflate E-rated tires simply because they read "80 psi maximum" on the side wall and assume they're supposed to be inflated to near that. In fact I've found that an E-rated tire rarely needs more than a few psi more than a C-rated tire to achieve proper inflation.

Also, as an aside, it's easy to forget that an E-rated tire does not invariably have a higher load rating. A larger size D-rated tire can have the same load rating as a smaller E-rated tire due to its greater volume of air.

#24 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

TPMS Tire pressure...whoops.
Dealer says I void warranty on all the sensors if I use different tires!

Horse s---.
TPMS only reads air pressure, and PSI doesn't change.

The Colorado reads out TP for each tire in the DIC.

I don't know what psi range is in the DIC, but the Colorado Duramax has a 6200 GVW and you even if you change to a E rated tire, you will not run anywhere near the max tire pressure. Max psi on the tire side wall is for the max weight on the tire. Even if the tire is rated for 80 psi, you'd probably be only be running 45 psi on a loaded out Colorado anyway. If tried max psi, the truck would bounce like a ball, the tires would be over inflated and only the center of the tread would make contact, and unsafe.

I have had vehicles where I ran 35 psi on E tire (w/80 max on sidewall) because it was the proper tire setting for that vehicle's weight.

#25 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

The OP listed a tire with a low load range, probably not a D and definitely not an E.  It doesn't matter what pressure he/she runs (it does), it matters whether the tire matches the load.  I don't think the tire listed by the OP will match the load.  Maybe it will, but I doubt it.

#26 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

I am a bit out of my league...but I REALLY appreciate the discussion as I want to learn. The Diesel Colorado and a 2011 Eagle camper (weight of which is below the the 1500 lb cargo) should be able to handle a E rated tire?... For help in this I will attach a pdf of all data on Coopers. Which one is best to match the size of the 255 65 17 OEM tires but with an appropriate load rating?

Strangely the tire I posted a photo of on page 1 is not listed ? A/T3  it is listed as 110T

Edited by buckland, 30 April 2016 - 04:09 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#27 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

If you want close to 255/65/17, I'd get the 245/75/17E and call it good.

#28 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

I just looked at the specs of the Colorado and E rated tires are overkill.  Your truck isn't rated to carry the weight that would require E rated tires.  You could still use them, but they may seem to give a stiff ride.  I've used D and E tires on the same rig, heavier than yours, and I much prefer the ride of the E tires, but in your case, again, it's overkill.  A good D rated tire, with a max rating of 3195 will probably give you a better ride and will be more than enough to cover your GAWR.

#29 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

I like E rated tires for the stiffer sidewall - cornering and abrasion resistance, not just load. I drive on roads with sharp rocks and don't like to change tires. YMMV, of course.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#30 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Yep, I choose E for the same reason, but not everyone realizes that E rated tires impact the ride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users