• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#11 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Most customers install their own Yakima Tracks on the camper roof will drill up, from the inside of the camper first (using a very small drill bit as a pilot hole). Just 2 very small holes.

Measuring the length of the tracks first (first hole at the beginning of the tracks & the last hole at the end of your tracks).  The frame members are 1 1/2" tall, plus roof skin thickness and batton strips inside the camper.

Once you have the first and last pilot holes, you can lay the Yakima tracks down on the camper roof and you will have your straight line that the tracks will attach too.

I think you will find that stopping by the dealer in Tigard might be very helpful, as you can get some first hand advice in person.

When FWC installs Yakima Tracks, we will warranty it against leaks. When the customer starts poking holes in their camper roof, FWC can't always warranty the roof against leaks, not knowing how the tracks were installed. You can ask the dealer about their warranty if they install the tracks for you.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• extended yakima tracks only.JPG
  • yakima tracks framing locations 2.jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 03 May 2016 - 06:43 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#12 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

One more pic . . .

Attached Thumbnails

• Yakima Track Sample 2.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#13 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

Stan - that is amazingly helpful.  Thanks so much!  You guys really do go above and beyond most manufacturers, so that's really cool.

I talked to Jeff again, and we're going to meet up and make a decision.  Thanks all!

#14 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

I have loved having the tracks on my camper. I use them all the time. They now hold my solar panel and maxx trax. And I can carry by canoe around too. I think you will love the addition.

Edited by DrJ, 04 May 2016 - 01:14 PM.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#15 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:08 AM

Rilcombs, thanks for posting your question, as it provided information I was needing as well.

I'd also be interested in what size and type of screws FWC uses to fasten these tracks down with, and how they insure a watertight seal, if anyone happens to know?

Hope you don't mind me asking on your thread, it just seemed like some additional useful information to gather while this topic is being covered. Stan's information was spot on. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#16 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

On my FWC tracks, they laid down a strip of butyl tape along where the tracks go, then sealed each screw penetration with Sikaflex, and then sealed around the perimeter of the track/roof joint with silicone sealant.  In my opinion, the silicone is mostly cosmetic, and the most critical seal is the Sikaflex at each screw penetration.

Since the center of the track is recessed, where the screws go, water will sit there until it evaporates or is blown out by driving.  Any place where a screw isn't properly sealed is a direct water path into the tubing of your camper roof, and then into the interior via any penetration from the inside, such as a light fixture screw or a staple holding the batten, or any other penetration.

This is an area where a thorough installation job is critical.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#17 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hey Poky, I'm also interested in the length/type of screw (if it's different than those provided by Yakima).  Good question!

#18 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

PokyBro,

To wrap this up using input from Stan and the Service Dept, along with DesertDave:

1) drill up from the inside through the wood batton strip, a very very small pilot hole so you can get the first & last starter holes, and then just used wood filler to fill the hole.

2) lay down a strip of butyl tape along where the tracks go, then seal each screw penetration with Sikaflex, and then seal around the perimeter of the track/roof joint with silicone sealant.

3) the type of screw used is #8 1inch Pan Head, Phillips, Black.

#19 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

PokyBro,

To wrap this up using input from Stan and the Service Dept, along with DesertDave:

3) the type of screw used is #8 1inch Pan Head, Phillips, Black.

Rilcombs,

Thanks a bunch for sharing. That last line what was what I was needing. Wanted to clarify they aren't using Yakima plus nuts, and didn't want to go with too large of screw if not needed ( ex, #10 ), for strength. I appreciate it bud!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#20 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:28 AM

Now that we have the tracks figured out, can I ask how you are mounting the panels?  I have a new-to-me Hawk with the Yakima track and rack, and am looking at the Renogy 100W system.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, raven, solar, panel, renogy, roof, install, yakima, tracks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users