• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 alongthewayside

alongthewayside

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 and am ordering a FWC Hawk this summer (right around 1500 lbs with options).

My wife and I are planning a six month road trip around the western United States next summer. Since we'll be on the road for such a long time with the Hawk on the back, I want to make sure the truck is properly prepared.

I'm planning to modify/supplement the rear suspension and put E rated tires on the truck.

On the rear suspension, I have seen and heard a lot about both Hellwig Pro Series helper springs, and various airbag suspension systems.

Curious which people prefer, why and the pros/cons you've found in your experience and research.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

I have a Tacoma with an Eagle and I started out with just Ride Rite airbags and E rated tires but found the ride too bouncy and eventually upgraded my suspension to OME with heavy springs and an extra leaf in the rear. I do have an ARB winch bumper on the front and an Aluminess on the rear with swingouts now but even before I added them I wasn't real happy with the ride - not too bad on the highway but not too good on dirt. This may have been overkill but I am very happy with my current setup.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

I had my Eagle on a 2001 Tacoma. I first put Firestone air bags and they helped a great deal. Stopped the bounce and sway. As the truck was old I decided to add an extra leaf. It was fine for when I had the camper on but had to carry 500 lbs. of sand when not....way too stiff. I am getting a new truck tomorrow (Colorado diesel 3/4 ton) I plan on adding the air bags again but not the leaf. I will see how the stock shocks feel and then maybe upgrade if necessary. Welcome to the group. You are never going to regret getting a FWC.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hey ATWS,

Sounds like a great combo....but remember the real weight of the Hawk will exceed 1,500 lbs; by how much depends not only what you add but what the wet weight will be..'05 Tundra 4x4 SR5 AC with '16 Hawk...Hellwig Anti-sway bar made a huge difference in stopping almost all "wallowing" [think emergency maneuver to dodge a deer]  and the Firestone Ride-Rites have dampened out the ride plus allowed the vehicle to be leveled front to back and right to left...springs are pretty much fool proof, but the airbags are adjustable.  I plan to weigh our combo in the near future if I can find a scale around here..

We plan to add a portable compressor and perhaps either a High-Lift jack and/or Warn winch...I have a front and rear 2" receiver.  Front receiver is a 'Curt' and rear is the OEM.  But ultimately weight will be a limiter...just not certain how much weight is too much; forgetting all the GVW dire warnings and predictions..what I have found is that you need to drive slower with more weight because your stopping distance has greater lengthened..

Our set up is for off road travel but it is applicable for pavement as well...

Good luck and keep us posted.. :D

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 05 May 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

I plan to weigh our combo in the near future if I can find a scale around here..

Phil

Most of the Oregon state highway scales remain on and active even when they are not being used to check trucks. Just bring binoculars and/or camera with telephoto so that you can read the display in daylight. Platform is large enough to read front, rear, or both axles.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

Most of the Oregon state highway scales remain on and active even when they are not being used to check trucks. Just bring binoculars and/or camera with telephoto so that you can read the display in daylight. Platform is large enough to read front, rear, or both axles.

Paul

Thanks Paul but the closest scale is out on Hwy 84 about 80+ miles from us and that through the mountains...may try one of the agriculture products scales locally..

Phil

#7 bobc

bobc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:37 AM

I have a 2010 tacoma with a 2010 eagle. when I took delivery at the factory., the truck was really squatting so bad big rigs were annoyed by my low beam headlights. I first tried Hellwig helper springs . These didn't help one bit. So I removed the springs and installed Firestone Airbags . What a difference that made. It now rides level, the ride comfort was vastly improved and they helped eliminate a lot of sway. Plus installing 6 ply tires helped a lot. I maintain pressure with a bicycle pump. I keep them inflated at about 40 psi. The only problem I've ever had was on the Dalton Highway in Alaska last summer the cheap compact tire pump that I was using completely failed  and drained all the air from one bag. Not wanting to drive on an empty bag. I flagged down a bicyclist and borrowed his compact pump to inflate the bags. I figure the camper weighs 1500 lbs loaded with water and all. I've been using this rig for six years now and I'm still happy with the way it handles and rides.

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:47 AM

I'd think a farmer's co-op would have scales too. I used to use the Harbor Fright mother-ship's scales because they too used to leave them on all of the time, but they must have seen one of my posts....

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Alongthewayside,

After owning, driving, and reviewing a lot of different suspension setups for carrying a camper, I've come to the conclusion that there are two ideal ways to go.

1. If you plan to remove the camper between trips, air bags are the only way to support the additional weight while retaining a decent ride with the camper removed. Matching air bags with adjustable shocks allows you to tune the rear suspension as needed.

2. If the camper will stay on permanently, a set of custom rear springs specced to level the truck with the empty camper mounted, along with a set of air bags to fine tune the support when gear, water, etc. is added for a trip, makes an excellent combination. 

I don't really like any kind of helper spring; it's better to set up the main spring pack correctly to start with. Companies such as Deaver have been doing this for a long time.

Jonathan

Edited by JHanson, 15 May 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#10 forrestthorniley

forrestthorniley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

I don't have much to offer other than that I am figuring out my similar setup (2015 Tundra DC with 2016 Hawk on order). I plan on leaving the camper on full time, but I will be varying the load. My shell will probably weigh 1000 pounds with propane and batteries. Plus ~500 pounds for gear and passengers depending on the trip. I was looking at custom springs but will probably hold off on that now due to cost and not knowing what my real world weight will be over time. I was also looking at the hellwig and supersprings. But for the cost ($650 installed vs airbags and daystar cradles for $770) I am leaning towards airbags for the adjustability (and future compatibility with a custom leaf pack).

My truck has a Toytec 3/1 lift kit and the rear has a 1 inch block as well as an additional leaf. I think this along with airbags will be a good starting point, then I can fine tune the leaf pack later or even get a full custom set once I know what my average weight will be. Right now the truck rides like crap on cement highways though! (used to have a 300# flippac on it). My tires are 295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers (E rated).

Edited by forrestthorniley, 09 May 2016 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users