3 replies to this topic

#1 paraparker

paraparker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

Hi. Totally new to slide in campers (coming from a '72 VW Westy oh boy). I could use a little advice. I mounted a 1986 Six-Pac camper onto 12x8x12 cement blocks 3 tall so a couple feet in the air (used to sit on a trailer that's since been taken away). Works well in general, but as I've jacked the camper up and down a bit playing with it all the whole setup has become skewed a little. Now I'm afraid to jack it up any further for fear it'll just slide off the block mounts. I usually jack each point 5-6 "cranks" then move to another point. Obviously that was too much.

I can't seem to find a way to move the front two mount points to the right from their currently slid over left points. The back two are still good-ish. Are there tricks to this? I can't just mount it on the truck yet as I'm waiting for Timbrens/tie downs etc. etc.

Here's a little ASCII art (LOL) to try and demonstrate how it's sitting currently. I would like to move ONLY the two front jacks to the right and perhaps back a tad too. Worst case is I just wait and get it on the damn truck, but I'd like to keep working on the interior in the meantime. Thanks for any tips!

-------               -------
| X    | -->          | X   | -->
|       |                |      |
|       |                |      |
-------               -------

-------            -------
|      |              |      |
|  X  |             |  X  |
|      |              |      |
-------             -------

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#2 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

I'm trying to paint a picture in my mind of your predicament.  Try using a bottle jack (like the type used to lift a car when changing a tire)...Before beginning, shore up each corner with blocks of wood as a secondary support.  Start at one corner, put the jack on a solid wood block near the concrete block where the jack sits, leaving enough room to move and center the concrete block.  Slowly retract the front jack taking most of the weight off the concrete block, just enough to slide and center the block under the jack.  Repeat on the other front side.  

Hope this helps...??

#3 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:05 PM

Tie it off before doing anything! Use a come-along to a tree , a truck, a house. Once that puppy starts sliding, it's going to go.

Once secured, lift/jack on the overall downhill side (The side it wants to slide towards), don't lift the other side above it - ie keep the camper tilted away from the direction it wants to slide. Then, you might be able to pull it back into position using that come-along?

Got any pictures? 

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#4 paraparker

paraparker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Great thanks guys. I'll take a photo when I get a chance after work. I have an NRS strap around the front right jack *tightly* to keep it from moving any more. I didn't even think of a come-along... doh... I bet that would work really nicely. My truck tie-downs should be here next week so I may just wait until the truck is ready then... gingerly... jack it up the rest of the 12" or so in height I need (it's already sitting about 26" in the air) to clear the bed.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacks, cement blocks, camper mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users