• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

I know that pop ups are the main point of discussion here and I think they are great for back country travel, many of them being outstanding campers.

I am curious though, for someone who wants to travel off road but not necessarily White Rim Trail version of off road would a normal, non-slide, hard side be that much of a detriment?

I have seen a few that looked very nice without being to humongous, and had a few more amenities and better storage than the beloved pop-up.

Any hard sided owners floating around?

Just thought I'd stir a hornets nest....lol

Thanks!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Jackie, I have both a hardside and a popup (which is for sale BTW, so I can get a smaller popup).   There are places that I will take the popup, that I would never dream of taking the hardside.   That's from a standpoint of weight and clearance.   I like both, but each has it's pros and cons.    I would choose a popup if limited to just one.

Ouch, was that a hornet...?

I am haunted by waters

#3 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

The hard side Four Wheel Camper is light and probably quite durable.  Hard sides do look tall on the road though.  My favorite hard side is the Northern Lite made for the Tacoma.  Sadly, the molds burned up for the small Northern Lite campers.  Here's a used one that may be for sale still.  http://www.usedpqb.c...position=1&hb=9

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

I like the looks of the new version of the Capri Camper. The new owner says they are trying out solar now. The middle version Maverick is only 6ft tall inside so not nearly as tall as some of the Camplite and Lance hard sides.

It is light and quite reasonably priced. I hope to tour several factories next spring and sniff and kick the tires on some of these.

I am trying not to have tunnel vision and really look at pros and cons to find what fits me the best.

As I am planning on long trips I will likely go 8 ft length for the space, 3/4 ton truck for the payload and whatever ends up sitting in it will be awesome :)

#5 alaskaguy

alaskaguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

The best of both worlds may be a hard sided pop-up. Alaskan campers seem to hit a nice middle ground. There's also various other examples of hard sided pop ups. Unfortunately though, they all seem fairly expensive. The Alaskan camper is the most reasonably priced, but in my opinion it is very heavy and outdated. I don't need a composite build... I could live with aluminum... but it's hard for me to consider a wood framed camper in this day and age. I wish Alaskan made an aluminum framed version.

#6 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

I think a well built wood framed camper is fine.

The wood gives so if properly joined it is not going to have many issues. It also does not sweat like aluminum so I would think is warmer. Of course it can rot but shouldn't if the exterior is well maintained and I have seen aluminum frames with cracked and broken welds so nothing is perfect.

The Alaskan is a nice camper and is high up on the probability list but there are many good campers out there and I would be remiss if I did not research thoroughly :) I am hopefully going to spends lots of time in the one I get so lets get a good one!

#7 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Hard side under 2k lbs- First and foremost, it's quieter inside when camping.  I've had nice lightweight hardside that was fantastic and was only hindered by height and Jeep trails.

Alaskan- Tons of character and beautiful woodwork but a little tight inside, you really can't even have two people standing in one. Not that heavy when you consider some of the comfort pop ups like Outfitters, ...Mine was 1500ish.  Very cozy in cold weather.

Pop Up-  A little noisy if you're not out in the middle of nowhere by yourself.  The only REAL positives are the low wind resistance and low height off road.  Weight can vary so widely on these that unless you're into the ATC/4Wheel at under 1k lbs you're still gonna be in between 1500-up to 2900 for a pop up with comparable amenities to say a Northern light or 1500 series Bigfoot.

A lot also depends on what you're putting it on... I'd love a Toyota with a 4-wheel camper, A Dodge with an Alaskan and a dually with a nice Northern Lite...............................Good Times in any of them

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

Northern Lite re-built their plant and have been back in operation. New mold designs were done during the constuction of the new plant.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:36 AM

The new designs are all big with nothing like the Lite Series offered.  For the off-roading we do I like to have a camper with no overhang off the back.  We already have a bike rack hanging off.  It seems like they should offer a 1/2 capable design since that is a big market.

#10 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:45 AM

Looked at Northern Lite buyers guide. Lowest camper they have is 94" exterior height. Add 36-38" to that and you are almost 11 feet high, more if you put a rack and stuff on the roof. Not only that, the dry weight of their lightest camper is 2200 lbs. Hoping to stay lighter than 2800 lbs wet weight..... (I err on the heavy side to be safe)

Want to be under 10 feet if possible which the Capri Maverick should do, as of course any pop-up. Don't want to drive a big sail but do want storage, warmth and security.

The Alaskan is very nice but it is tight inside and twice the money, good storage though and pretty.

Hallmark is nice but also pricey and probably not as warm and quiet.

FWC/ATC just a bit spartan for me but very nice campers and if the right one (any of them) came along at the right time who knows what I would have....lol

Sooo many good choices.

All advice considered! I am always learning:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users