60 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Not only is vehicle repair not as much fun anymore, I have to look over my shoulder every time I pop the hood. Not sure I have a "philosophy". This truck I bought new, my first and probably only new vehicle, only because it wasn't much more than a used truck at the time (not sure if thats still true). I spend so much time and money modifying my vehicles to just turn around and sell at a whim. 

I go for function over form. I could put a lift on my truck, I think a mild lift would look good but I don't need one and it won't help reliability. 

With the benefit of hindsight I probably wouldn't go diesel again. I love mine but the economics just don't pencil out. Fairly happy with the lack of options on my truck but I do wish I had electric windows, mainly to keep the dog happy!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:09 PM

My truck philosophy:  our truck is a "tool".

1.  The tool must be the "right" size.  A V-8 diesel has too much hauling capacity for only a FWC.  A non-turbo V-6 too little.  A heavy duty 1 ton is too much payload.  A 1/2 ton extended cab short bed too little (we will not go over GVWR).  "Right" size: Ford F-150 payload package regular  cab.  We get a 4x4 because we live in the hilly snow belt and 2 wheel drive has proven unable to climb a snow covered hill.

2.  The tool must be reliable since we travel coast to coast.  Higher mileage used trucks would require repairs on the road so only low mileage used or new will be a reliable tool.  We depreciate a new vehicle at a rate of $1000 per year (model year less current year) and $ 0.10 per mile.  No "right" size used vehicles were available with less than 30,000 miles and a less than 3 years old at a depreciated price better than new and so we purchased new on our recent tool.

3.  The tool is a "tool", i.e we hate chrome.  We purchased mostly new base-trim/work trucks with vinyl floors (we sweep our truck out weekly and never vacuum the tool.  

4.  The reliable tool evolves to a run-about when the reliability becomes suspect which evolves to a beater for hauling firewood which evolves to a junk yard death, i.e. we do not sell/trade and so have three trucks.  If purchased new every 7-8 years while traveling 18,000 miles per year, this works out.  We budget $4-5000 per year for eventually purchasing a truck.  The last four trucks cost us $24,000 (new), $15,000 (lightly used), $21,000 (new), and $28,000 (new).  We only carry collision and comprehensive insurance on the reliable trip tool.

5.  Another aspect of "right" sizing was we wanted 15 mpg or better so bigger gasoline V-8's were not a choice.  Very poor fuel economy would discourage us from using the tool.  So far, we run 15-16 mpg with our 5.0 V-8.

6.  Another aspect of "right" sizing was fitting in our 8 foot tall garage door to keep the tool dry and durable since the camper is not removed from the tool.

We will never look back wishing we had more torque or more chrome or a bigger/better/taller "tool", but we will smile looking back at all the places we have visited, coast-to-coast, corner-to-corner with the "right tool".

#23 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:37 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site, so thanks for sharing your wisdom! After years of trial and error, (VW Westfalia, Coleman Pop-up, Class C Motorhome, Dodge conversion van) I've decided to check out the world of Pop-up campers- very excited about the possibilities, but the budget is limited. Thinking of a 2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 Prerunner with an All-Terrain camper. Advice? Ideas?

Also, if anyone in the Albuquerque/ New Mexico area has an ATC Pop-up I can take a look at, and pick your brain about, let me know. Many thanks to all of you for your spirit of adventure. Happy trails!

Maureen in ABQ 

#24 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

It's a hypothetical question in that RVs are not cost effective. We can rationalize all we want but the bottom line is that we use them because of the vehicle-oriented lifestyle, not because of philosophy or economics. 

Most people in the RV market buy travel trailers or motor homes. Truck campers appeal mainly to a small segment that values versatility above all else, and popup TCs are an even smaller segment. The middle of the bell curve for TC owners is made up of individuals or couples who are outdoor fans and who are part of the (shrinking) middle class. 

Beyond that it is a matter of preference and situation. Brand, features, new or used, we do whatever fits us. Sometimes we choose the truck and camper, sometimes they choose us. Many have reached our current TC after using other RVs that were not quite right. Personally, I like new with minimal mods because I decided long ago that vehicle DIY did not interest me. YMMV. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#25 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Just noticed this thread! Then there are people like me-once I had a full time job-I bought new rigs very time and took good care of them. I bought a 70VW in 1970-drove it until 1980, then bought a 1980 Toyota long bed 4x4! Drove that until 1999, then bought a 99 F150 4x4 and am still driving it with a 2005 Granby full time on it. I tend to by things new and spend the money up front and go from there.  Maybe this comes from all those years of trying to keep my old 1950 ford, 1956 ford and 1961 VW running :D !  After re-reading this thread, I agree with allot of what is said-our experience, needs and money determine what we buy, use and dream of. Me-I still have/use my first deer rifle-a modified Springfield 1903 with Redfield peep sites , I always buy Carthhart/Levi clothes and Redwing/Wolverine boots and shoes, Kelty packs-things like that-spend what you need to do what you need to do-if somethings works why change :wub: !

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 18 May 2016 - 05:25 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#26 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

I am also new to this site and love all the info and experience every one shares on here. I am planning on buying a new f350 next year when I retire and slide a new Alaskan camper on to it. My only problem is trying to figure out if I should go with a utility body for the extra storage. I dont like the box shape of the basic utility box so was thinking of a custom made box lots of planning to do and research.  

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

Camper on a utility bed is my dream. I like to carry too much stuff already though and that'd just feed that addiction! Its practical, who cares what it looks like.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#28 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

Iowahiker,

superb articulation of your mindset. I love how thorough and consistent you are with your world view - it reflects inner values as well as outer resolution. I also noted how your thinking translates into purchase decisions, and then into the real-world maintenance and finally, the evolution of the vehicle role from new to condemnation. Very thoughtful. 

My truck philosophy:  our truck is a "tool".

1.  The tool must be the "right" size.  A V-8 diesel has too much hauling capacity for only a FWC.  A non-turbo V-6 too little.  A heavy duty 1 ton is too much payload.  A 1/2 ton extended cab short bed too little (we will not go over GVWR).  "Right" size: Ford F-150 payload package regular  cab.  We get a 4x4 because we live in the hilly snow belt and 2 wheel drive has proven unable to climb a snow covered hill.

2.  The tool must be reliable since we travel coast to coast.  Higher mileage used trucks would require repairs on the road so only low mileage used or new will be a reliable tool.  We depreciate a new vehicle at a rate of $1000 per year (model year less current year) and $ 0.10 per mile.  No "right" size used vehicles were available with less than 30,000 miles and a less than 3 years old at a depreciated price better than new and so we purchased new on our recent tool.

3.  The tool is a "tool", i.e we hate chrome.  We purchased mostly new base-trim/work trucks with vinyl floors (we sweep our truck out weekly and never vacuum the tool.  

4.  The reliable tool evolves to a run-about when the reliability becomes suspect which evolves to a beater for hauling firewood which evolves to a junk yard death, i.e. we do not sell/trade and so have three trucks.  If purchased new every 7-8 years while traveling 18,000 miles per year, this works out.  We budget $4-5000 per year for eventually purchasing a truck.  The last four trucks cost us $24,000 (new), $15,000 (lightly used), $21,000 (new), and $28,000 (new).  We only carry collision and comprehensive insurance on the reliable trip tool.

5.  Another aspect of "right" sizing was we wanted 15 mpg or better so bigger gasoline V-8's were not a choice.  Very poor fuel economy would discourage us from using the tool.  So far, we run 15-16 mpg with our 5.0 V-8.

6.  Another aspect of "right" sizing was fitting in our 8 foot tall garage door to keep the tool dry and durable since the camper is not removed from the tool.

We will never look back wishing we had more torque or more chrome or a bigger/better/taller "tool", but we will smile looking back at all the places we have visited, coast-to-coast, corner-to-corner with the "right tool".

#29 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

Koluckum

It is your hindsight ("should have gottena full size truck") that really is interesting. It means that your initial assumption ("i can make do with a smaller truck") was wrong or whether the needs change is an underlying factor.... 

It all depends on your budget. I did't have a large budget when I got my set up, truck for 7k and FWC camper for 3k. Used the rest of the money to travel. Granted the truck is older with a lot of miles but relatively easy to maintain and I am pretty good with vehicles. Plus when I dent the truck I don't feel as bad.

In hindsight I would have got a full size truck as the gas mileage would have been almost the same and I would have gotten more room.

#30 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

I am the same as you - never buy new. But i come from a different reason for that: being new to this country, everything in my initial life here was in a state of flux - no set budgets, no set expectations, or desires. Therefore, i always bought well used to hedge against a failure of my understanding- because i never knew if anything i purchased would pan out to be what i thought it would be. All my cars, motorcycles and truck were bought used and sold within a matter of a few years as my needs changed (marriage, kids, moving on). Now that i am turning 40 and can afford any vehicle i want, i am considering the merits of buying new - but it still doesnt make sense for me until i am 100% sold that a truck camper will hold my interest until the end of its life.

I guess, in a sense, i have a wandering eye when it comes to recreation, and that will mean i can never invest into anything brand new. 

I don't buy new. The depreciation when the front tires first touch the street is too much for me. Plus, I haven't seen a new vehicle that interested me enough to consider buying it since 1984. Today's new vehicles are simply too complicated. I see every one of those undesired, unnecessary "features" as a failure mode. Their failure may not stop us in our tracks, but as interconnected as late models are I'm not willing to risk it. I know of vehicles that have failed a CA smog test because some unrelated system was tied into the Check Engine light. If the OEM's will do that, what else have they done?

I'm much more comfortable looking a rig over for potential issues and fixing them before they become a problem. I keep vehicles until they A) loose my interest or B ) have outlived their usefulness to us. Like anyone, I make the best purchase that I can find at the time for my initial budget, but understand that I'll be spending money for a while on the "why we now own it's". After all the PO sold it for a reason, the first couple months are always steep in learning why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users