• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:49 AM

I think one thing to keep in mind when camping in the Canadian Rockies that there are very few "bad" places to camp.  In general, there are enough trees and space that even crowded campgrounds are still extremely enjoyable.  People camping in the campgrounds are generally quite and reserved.  In fact sometimes it's the off the beaten path locations that can become noisier due to ATVs and lack of regulation.

Even though one may want to plan as to not miss out on anything, you really can't go wrong.  We usually just go with the flow and take even day and adventure as they come.

#12 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

Thank you all! 

My apologies for taking so long to respond: I was out camping.

#13 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

check out www.ioverlander.com

for various offerings posted by other wanderers...

I was able to find nothing in the Canadian Rockies when searching the map on the home page.  Am I missing something?

#14 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

When we travel in B.C. always look for Forest Service Recreation Sites.. Rustic and non reservable, rarely busy and free.

here is the link.....http://www.sitesandt...ca/default.aspx

Enjoy your visit..

Robbie

Watson Lake, Yukon

This is a great resource!  Thank you.  I spent a little time comparing it to the Backroad Mapbooks that just arrived in the mail;  Most, if not all, of the Recreation Sites appear on the maps in the mapbooks; so a great combination of resources.

#15 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

I was able to find nothing in the Canadian Rockies when searching the map on the home page.  Am I missing something?

On my iPad you zoom in and keep zooming in and eventually the sites will pop up. There are so many that you have to get to a relatively small (~50 sq mi) area.
They have a great free app that is actually more user friendly than using a pc.
Good luck!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#16 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

On my iPad you zoom in and keep zooming in and eventually the sites will pop up. There are so many that you have to get to a relatively small (~50 sq mi) area.
They have a great free app that is actually more user friendly than using a pc.
Good luck!

Aah!  That worked great.

The number of postings is almost overwhelming!

#17 Aitherious

Aitherious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

I gather you are coming up the west coast - There are lots of opportunities depending on your likes. Provincial Parks and rest stops are quite numerous. some parks are quite popular but most have first come first serve sites as well as reserveable at -  http://www.env.gov.b...cparks/reserve/   -  if you like wine come up the Okanagan valley - lots of wineries to visit. The Shuswap area is beautiful (I plan to be there on a houseboat in July) and then you can cut across to Jasper/Banff.

or the Columbia/Kootenay valley also has lots to see as well. Cranbrook has the National Railway Museum and Fort Steele Historic Park - North from there you go through Fairmont and Radium hot springs and Kootenay Park on the way up to Banff/Lake Louise - we like to stop and hike Marble Canyon when we are heading to Calgary in the summertime. Carry on North from Lake Louise to Jasper the Columbia Icefields are a must see if you are coming this far north. 

Enjoy your trip and drive safe!

#18 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Aitherious for all the suggestions!

#19 singlefin

singlefin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:03 AM

Google Mapart, a Canada map company that has a good assortment of Canadian Road & Rec atlas's. You can order from their on line catalogue

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The Western city of

#20 MuleHawk

MuleHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:44 AM

We are up here now, we have honestly found the best crown land free campsites by asking at visitor centers. Most of the employees know all the best spots and if you ask about crown land and free campsites they will usually go out of their way to help. We have found great campsites outside of Kootenay and Mt. Revelstoke with spectacular views and few if any neighbors.

We also reserved campsites in Banff/Lake Louise last week and for Jasper when we head up there in two weeks but in between we have dry camped.

www.mulehawk.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rockies, Canada, Alberta, British Columbia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users