• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 isbram

isbram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:51 AM

It sounds like you really like you new rig, every time we take ours camping someone will stop by and start asking questions about it.
In the large cabinet by the entry door we had Hallmark add two removable shelves; it just seems to a more efficient use of that space for us. We also added a tracked sliding Rubbermaid clothes basket under the counter; it works great for holding pots and pans and keeping them in place. We opted for the gas range with oven option otherwise we could have installed two baskets.

Edited by isbram, 29 May 2016 - 01:52 AM.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500
2011 Hallmark Cuchara XL

#12 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Fantastic camper and great report!
Is there anything that you wish you would have ordered and didn't?

Good question.
We are still in the process of our fitting the interior (does it ever end??) so I'm not sure I have a complete answer yet but one thing I wish we had is a utensil drawer. You know for forks, spoons etc. I may start a new thread asking how other people organize their stuff..
Other than that we have been very happy with everything. Even the dinette seats are comfortable!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#13 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

It sounds like you really like you new rig, every time we take ours camping someone will stop by and start asking questions about it.In the large cabinet by the entry door we had Hallmark add two removable shelves; it just seems to a more efficient use of that space for us. We also added a tracked sliding Rubbermaid clothes basket under the counter; it works great for holding pots and pans and keeping them in place. We opted for the gas range with oven option otherwise we could have installed two baskets.

Isbram that sounds like some great ideas. Could you post a couple of pics?

Eddie
KO4CPL

#14 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

x2  Always looking for more refinements (and reasons to tinker)

We have the oven option too so only the one bay under the counter and it's congested with the plumbing.  Also, our single propane tank is on that side so that blocks off a lot of room in that area.  We have the K2 so about 6" shorter than yours.  Doesn't sound like much but there are some nuances different with the floor plan.  We don't have the storage space next to the refrigerator, but do have a storage cabinet above the cassette toilet (because of the different propane tank placement).

The N/S bed with the storage under is great.  Overall we have more storage than we have figured out how to use efficiently, so always looking for secondary storage ideas - shelving, containers, dividers etc.  One thing that I'm starting to learn towards is to use the underbed storage less for clothes and more for things that are more likely to be needed only once set up (and somebody isn't sleeping).  No access to it unless the top is up, and everybody is up and at 'em. 

It's a constant learning and refinement process, figuring out the best places for things.  There's enough space for the 2 of us, but it also makes it easy to over pack and put things in to places that you forgot you have (and probably don't need).  We have the exterior storage boxes which are great for tools and messy items (small grill, etc) but also for collecting really heavy stuff.  Starting to rethink what's really needed and put the whole thing on a diet.  Went through a scale our last trip out, 11,000lbs, and still under GVWR.

The more you use it, the more you'll enjoy it and appreciate the choice you made.

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#15 68 Siesta

68 Siesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSouth Jordan, Utah

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

I love the amount of storage. Great report and great looking rig!

#16 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

So what does a builder do on his day off? Build something of course!
With the help of my youngest son (23) I decided to build a movable platform to store the camper on when we're not able to use it as I need my truck for work.
So here are a few pictures...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Eddie
KO4CPL

#17 isbram

isbram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Ok here is a few shots of the shelves and the storage basket, I built a small frame to mount the basket so if wouldn’t hang up on the opening when sliding out. My wife is in charge of the inside of the camper organizing. She uses a big selection of Rubblermaid containers for storing napkins, silverware, coffee and sugar etc. She also uses them for the bathroom supplies; I don’t have to worry about shampoo etc. spilling and making a huge mess when driving off road.

IMG_2688.1_zpsxjwpdgky.jpg

IMG_2692.1_zpsmuvrzzk7.jpgIMG_2694.1_zps70yzsbfc.jpgIMG_2695.1_zpsc3jeu70w.jpg

1999 Dodge Ram 2500
2011 Hallmark Cuchara XL

#18 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:27 AM

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

So what does a builder do on his day off? Build something of course!
With the help of my youngest son (23) I decided to build a movable platform to store the camper on when we're not able to use it as I need my truck for work.
So here are a few pictures...

Very nice!

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:15 AM

Congrats on your new camper and thanks much for the review. Looks really nice with options that will suit you well! Have fun!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:02 AM

Looks mighty comfy!  Great write up and I am sure you and the missus will enjoy many a mile in fine rig.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users