Rice Build thread!

2012 Eagle shell

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

Those that have followed the Moon truck thread know that truck is also known as Black Beans. The companion to my '88 Isuzu Trooper Red Beans. So for now I'll call my 2012 Eagle camper RICE! Once mounted up I'll be driving Black Beans and Rice! What the heck Ya gotta have fun.

So a little over  A year ago we bought a slightly used Eagle shell from a dealer in FL. Story and pics here.

http://www.wanderthe...ng-time-coming/

We have used the camper a few times for a couple of extended trips as a tag-a-long on the boat trailer as the truck project continues. Overall it works well as it is but things can always be improved.

I figured I would start a thread to show and discuss mods and additions to the camper as we go along. I'll be installing it in the truck and also documenting wiring hook ups ect as we go along.

c2000320Small_zpsuiaoxoxf.jpg

I've picked up a couple of items from the long term wants list. One of these came in today.

I got my Road shower. This will work on Red Beans or the Camper. Now I will have a hot shower when I camp in remote spots. Solar heated. I want to eventually make up an Insulated cover for it. Something to wrap it with at night.

Seems to be well made and I like the design. For the price It's not hardly worth trying to make one up yourself once you've seen it.

Sitting on some packing foam.
011%20Small_zpsga0guhns.jpg

Brass valve, shraeder valve to add some pressure if you want, and a place to lock a cable to.
013%20Small_zpszgo0faua.jpg

Fill cap with 20 lb release valve. Adjustable hose sprayer.
012%20Small_zpsqosunmak.jpg

The bottom. 4 SS carriage bolts slide in this track. 1 on either side of a rack bar. Then 2 curved pieces of metal go under the rack bar on the bolts and add lock washers and SS locnuts.
014%20Small_zpsmdta5siy.jpg

I sat it on the roof rack on Red Beans just for a look see. I would probably move a bike rack inboard some and place it there if using it.
017%20Small_zpscdjtzw71.jpg

016%20Small_zps86alnw1x.jpg

Gives a nice idea of the size compared to a bike rack.
015%20Small_zps2slwfwsb.jpg

Once cleaned with a little bleach these are safe for potable water. Hot water for dish washing ect. And you can drink out of it if not too warm. It holds 5 gallons.

I think I'm going to like it. Now I can leave my little Solar Shower bag at home! :D

Edited by Squatch, 04 June 2016 - 03:01 AM.

#2 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:10 AM

Interesting - hand't seen that road shower before.  neat idea.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:37 AM

I think that is a much better idea than an outdoor shower on a camper. Not tied into main system so no winterizing and doesn't have to use main water supply. I am curious if it will actually get hot in cooler weather but good for dishes and dogs and dirty feet anytime :) I like it!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

In cold weather no big deal to heat some water on the stove and pour it back in. It has a stick on thermometer I haven't added yet.

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:05 AM

The Camp-o-tel in the 1960's had a cylindrical water carrier that was very similar to the container above,.which mounted to the roof top rack that supported the Camp-o-tel rooftop tent.  It  also had a chuckbox/cooking/table station that mounted to the rooftop rack.

My family had one and so did both of my Uncle's families.  I recall them working pretty well.  We used it a lot.

See:  http://dougsvintaget...rs.com/campotel

Edited by ckent323, 04 June 2016 - 05:08 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hopefully I'll get to try it soon!

In the meantime.

The Fridge came in today. So far I like it. Same foot print as my old steel belted Coleman cooler but a little taller. Pretty much the same interior volume. But no ice taking up room.

Eventually the idea is to add solar to the camper to run it self contained indefinitely at the beach ect. No more ice runs!
004%20Small_zps5nemtua9.jpg

After I installed the handles.
006%20Small_zpsstvfjmve.jpg

005%20Small_zpsjtk2kafs.jpg

003%20Small_zpsc1rb9emo.jpg

001%20Small_zpsos2ygx0a.jpg

002%20Small_zps0hsphcf4.jpg

Now I need to get back to work. I'm forgoing camping and fishing ect for a while to get the truck ready to go!

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

Looks like some great ideas.

The Truckfridge is such a great cooler idea.

We are sure liking ours.

Interesting shower.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:26 AM

Squatch, great stuff

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#9 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

I was in Costa Rica recently an every Toyota Land Cruiser had a homemade water setup like that on a roof rack

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Thanks folks.

I prefer this shower concept to dealing with an onboard water system. I don't want that hassle.

I'll probably turn it on this evening. It's supposed to sit for 24 hours after shipping before being turned on. Gotta let the coolant settle I guess. I'll use it on 120vac 1st and get it cold loaded with water bottles and such. Then I'll hook it up to a pair of Optima blue tops and see how long it runs on them before dropping to 12.2 volts without charging.

I did a test fit of the fridge in Black Beans. I think I'll be carrying it there. This keeps weight forward and saves space in the camper. We usually cook outdoors anyway. I should be able to reach through the pass through back window from the camper and access it from the truck cab as well.

I would have to put it in empty. Kind of a squeeze past the seat back. No back doors on these early trucks. But it fits well and there is room on either side for a reasonable sized day pack ect.

The plan is to install it in the truck but wire it to the camper battery. I will call Truckfridge and get an extra 12 volt cable. That way I can cut the end off and use something like an Anderson power pole connector. But still have a spare 12v cable with the lighter plug for other uses.

018%20Small_zpsmsczhdvw.jpg

017%20Small_zpsmdan26ai.jpg

Not a bad match with the interior.
010%20Small_zpscyg6nbpj.jpg

012%20Small_zpsh8ze0onk.jpg

013%20Small_zpsjskomngv.jpg

Edited by Squatch, 05 June 2016 - 08:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users