• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 mennace

mennace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

Just wondering why you would need a generator when camping. I have a 110 amp hour batteries and solar panel. What would you use small generator for?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

When I bought my camper about 8 years ago, I carried a small generator. After lugging it around for about a year and never using it, it's now sitting on a shelf in the garage. I initially thought I might need it because I have a 1.5KW inverter and microwave in the camper. I discovered I only run the microwave for a few minutes at a time and the batteries hold up just fine. I eventually added an Engel compressor fridge and a couple hundred watts of solar. Still don't need the generator. 

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Different strokes for different folks.

I used to have my ATC Bobcat shell interior set up with 110VAC cooking (induction cooktop, microwave, toaster oven) and a bathroom wall heater. All powered, only one ON at a time, with a Honda 2000 generator. Used 12VAC, (solar only, 100 amp battery) only for the two DC compressor fridges, LED lights, and roof fantastic fan. This was my chuckwagon set-up. Could serve a lot of food pretty quickly.

However, the need/purpose of that set-up has changed.

So, now, I've got propane for cooking (SMEV cooktop), & a furnace for heating (Atwood). Just me, the wife unit, and the dogs. No large groups anymore.

And, I'm sure you'll hear about other uses for a generator.

Different strokes for different folks.

#4 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

I haven't added solar yet so even with 200 amp hour of batts I can only make it 3 days or so between charging. Compressor fridge takes a lot of power when you live in Las Vegas. Solar is on the to do list, but still haven't gotten around to it yet. Plus I use a small toaster oven. So until I install an propane oven, that won't likely change. Plus I have it and it's always nice to have a back up plan. Over kill is underrated in my mind.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Just wondering why you would need a generator when camping. I have a 110 amp hour batteries and solar panel. What would you use small generator for?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Why use a generator?  Simple...to piss off anyone within earshot....lovely way to ruin the tranquility.. :D

I agree "to each their own" but don't force others to endure the damn generator noise...

Just my opinion and of course my sensibility...

Phil

#6 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:09 PM

Why use a generator?  Simple...to piss off anyone within earshot....lovely way to ruin the tranquility.. :D

I agree "to each their own" but don't force others to endure the damn generator noise...

Phil

x2

#7 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

Maybe because your geographic location is east of the Rockies and south of the Texas pan handle between April and December?

.... besides that, if you're in a FWC, nobody else should be within hearing distance. Use consideration otherwise but its a big country out there.

Edited by Bombsight, 10 June 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

I have a Honda 2000i and used it occasionally in the summer because my 100w solar couldn't keep up with the power sucking Dometic 65 in my Eagle. I have since added a 2nd 100w panel and am hopeful the generator can stay in the garage.

I only used mine in areas where generator usage was allowed between certain hours. I don't like generators personally and I did have one sensitive soul complain, but they could see my generator when they chose their spot so I didn't have a lot of sympathy for them.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#9 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

I've camped in a semi remote surf spot in Baja only to have an RV show up,fire up it's generator in order to utilize it's TV and DVD player.

Reminds me of when I hike Torrey Pines reserve with lots of peeps staring at their phone. To hell with the natural surroundings.

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#10 elmo_4_vt

elmo_4_vt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

The only two things I could think of is when camping for extended periods in the shade, where solar doesn't do much good, or if you wanted to run A/C.  The charging could be done via truck, but in my situation, the generator is quieter than the truck (Honda 2000 vs. 7.3ltr Ford).  The A/C would only be used at night for cooling down the interior, and hopefully turned off after an hour or so.  My setup allows the generator to be pretty isolated, and almost sound-less since I can run it inside my trailer.  So far, I haven't had the need to use it at all, and would definitely take the annoyance of any near by campers into consideration.

Don

-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users