• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#11 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

Is it wrong to take advantage of designated "Generator times" in campgrounds when solar isn't powerful enough?

#12 orion

orion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationDixon, CA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

I have a Honda EU2000i that I only pack on trips where I feel my solar won't keep up, which means usually when I go on winter trips or trips in dense forest. I have 200 watts of solar and 2x 79Ah batteries, so that keeps me going on most trips without the need of a generator. But, it is very nice to have when you need it. 

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Its not wrong in designated campground if you follow the rules. It is another reason to avoid those kind of campgrounds. I will admit theres a big difference  in generators. The great big Onan's in the motorhomes and those cheapie chinese things are a lot louder than a 2k Honda. 

I carried one for a while. Wound up selling it as it was just taking up space.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Is it wrong to take advantage of designated "Generator times" in campgrounds when solar isn't powerful enough?

YES!  Absolutely hideous! Totally terrible!  Should be stoned!

Look to each their own...my "own" is to be unobtrusive and stealth-full...I don't use campgrounds if at all possible; which is about 99+%...wilderness needs to be void of man-made anything...especially noise..Plus I like to not travel with other folks; solo allows a heck of lot more freedom of choice.

Having said all this; if communal camping, rallies, pavement or campgrounds, or whatever, are what float your boat...go for it.  Free world out there, sorta.  I do not dictate to anyone.

Just remember that out in the desert, at night especially ['no solar time'], sound carries a long, long ways and except for owl, coyote or wolf "noise" the peace and quiet we seek by going there requires "quiet".

Take Care,

Phil

#15 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

i have a Honda 1000 that I use when I'm in the woods and can't get enough solar charging.

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#16 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

One thing I don't like is when someone fires up their generator and then leaves camp. If I have to listen to it so should they. I've harbored some unkind thoughts to those people.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#17 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

YES!  Absolutely hideous! Totally terrible!  Should be stoned!

Look to each their own...my "own" is to be unobtrusive and stealth-full...I don't use campgrounds if at all possible; which is about 99+%...wilderness needs to be void of man-made anything...especially noise..Plus I like to not travel with other folks; solo allows a heck of lot more freedom of choice.

Having said all this; if communal camping, rallies, pavement or campgrounds, or whatever, are what float your boat...go for it.  Free world out there, sorta.  I do not dictate to anyone.

Just remember that out in the desert, at night especially ['no solar time'], sound carries a long, long ways and except for owl, coyote or wolf "noise" the peace and quiet we seek by going there requires "quiet".

Take Care,

Phil

You and I are very much alike in what you have stated. Keep on keeping on!   Ron

#18 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

In the SE it's hard to boondock, very little public land, so established campgrounds are mostly the rule. You either learn to deal with noise or just don't camp.

I've found that camping by noisy groups or self absorbed guitar players can be more more annoying than generators. I don't camp in groups much nor do I bring a generator or guitar but sometimes I either have tolerate it or go back home, and I've done both at times.

I much prefer isolated camping and I do expect quiet in those situations and expect to be quiet as well.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#19 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

In the SE it's hard to boondock, very little public land, so established campgrounds are mostly the rule. You either learn to deal with noise or just don't camp.

I've found that camping by noisy groups or self absorbed guitar players can be more more annoying than generators. I don't camp in groups much nor do I bring a generator or guitar but sometimes I either have tolerate it or go back home, and I've done both at times.

I much prefer isolated camping and I do expect quiet in those situations and expect to be quiet as well.

Roger That!  

And throw a little booze into the mix and the amplified "beat goes on".....and on and on... :)

Phil

#20 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Why use a generator?  Simple...to piss off anyone within earshot....lovely way to ruin the tranquility.. :D

I agree "to each their own" but don't force others to endure the damn generator noise...

Just my opinion and of course my sensibility...

Phil

True unless you are in a Public Campground - Why can't I use my generator in the face of screaming kids, Family fights, Loud Music, Slamming Car Doors, and people who refuse to talk in low tones?

When I am boondocking it is just me any way. or It should be - so I should be able to use my Honda 

Do not go to a Public Campground if you are looking for Tranquility!

Also its laughable to me that some who hate the generator still have the compressor fridges, microwave ovens, TV's, toaster ovens, AC, computers, Big Diesel truck etc. Solar might work for you but mine gives me grief.

If you really want tranquillity - buy a tent and a pack and hike in. The reality is that we can't impose our idea of comfortable on other people.

In so far as you do not have an ATC shell with an electric powered truck and a cooler of ice - you are just as bound to snivel kit and technology as I am. I rarely use my generator - probably to a fault. I am on my third solar panel - cause that last 2 stopped working - and I do not want to pay 3000.00 in solar, fridge, and battery for a 12 V fridge (that cost more than the one I have at home).

My point is - we are really pointing fingers at each other for really the same thing. Public Campgrounds in my neck of the woods are not quiet. Period. In a bookdocking situation it would be rather rude to camp near someone else.

But hey - This what we call First World Problems! 

Edited by Ramblinman, 11 June 2016 - 04:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users