stanbiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

I am looking to start taking more landscape/animal photos and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for camera/lens needed to start.

I have a Fuji xp60 that I carry for fishing and backpacking that I like because of the waterproof aspect.

I also have an old Nikon FG-20, but I'm not really into the film and developing hassle so would prefer a digital SLR for my next camera.

I would also want something that could be used for photos of the Aurora this winter.

Thanks

#2 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Stan,

There are so many options today that it is tough to say what would be the best camera for you.

I am a Nikon person but will tell you Canon also makes great stuff.

I also own an Olympus micro 4/3 mirrorless camera which while it is not the quality of the Nikon it is pretty darn good and is half the size.

There is also new "bridge" camera, the Sony RX10 III that has some outstanding features and a 24-600mm F2.4-F4 lens, so no lens switching.

The Aurora would want a good low light camera, landscape needs a wide angle and animals need some telephoto. If you are not going to do birding you may get away with a 400mm for your wildlife but 500-600 is probably more suitable. If you buy one of the 2 biggies those lenses are quite spendy. There is a good 3rd party lens by Sigma which could fill the bill there for under $2000 but either way you are looking at an outpouring of cash.

Low light photography is generally easier for the larger sensors so a full frame camera would be better for that but will be bigger and heavier and costlier.

So I guess you need to decide how much money you have to spend and how heavy you want your equipment to be.

There are many knowledgeable and great photogs on this site so you will have lots of info to sort through :)

Good luck figuring it all out!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#3 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

There are many good cameras. I have used Canon for years. At this moment I use a 5D and 5DII both full frame cameras. But I have recently added a 7DII to my collection. It is my replacement for a 1D Mark II. It has fast frame rate, advanced focusing and is moderately light, with a large viewfinder. Works real well in the nature world because it is light and fast. With a 10-18 (16-35 equivalent) and a 18-135 (29 to 216 equivalent) you can cover a lot of bases. I do have L Lenses too. But often I opt to use the one camera and two lens set because hiking around with a ton of weight gets old when you are old. The 7DII is also great for sports the grandkids play. Fast frame rate makes a huge difference. Even during a parade speed is important. Bands pass quickly and to get each rank takes a quick camera. Inside the camera can shoot at high ISO and still look good.

https://keithbarnes....ilding-opening/

https://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/

5DII photos in the Midway

https://keithbarnes....SS-Midway-Tour/

Edited by dorocks, 11 June 2016 - 01:35 PM.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

All of the major makers are producing some great cameras. I use Nikon full frame gear, but there is nothing wrong with Canon, Sony and Pentax. Nikon and Pentax have cameras specific for astro photography, perhaps the others do to.

I'd start by finding a lens that meets your needs, for the format (full frame, crop sensor...) you select. A fast, wide angle for aurora and landscape work, and a fast prime telephoto for wildlife. BTW, lenses for full frame work nicely on crop sensor, but not vice versa. A couple of examples would be the Nikkor 14-24/2.8 for landscape, and Nikkor 400/2.8 for wildlife. The reason I prefer a smaller telephoto is for me, the light is more important than reach. On high quality lenses, you can gain reach by adding a good teleconverter.

Now, both of the lenses mentioned above are really expensive, so there are others that will do a good job. For landscape, the Tokina 16-28/2.8, and the Sigmas that Jackie mentioned are good as well. Both are made with Nikon and Canon lens mounts.

As Lighthawk mentions below, a good support system is just as important as the camera and lens. Read Thom Hogan's "Support 101" essay for GREAT advice on the topic. The Cliff Notes version is to buy quality gear the first time, or you'll end up spending more in the long run. I'm on the road, but I'll try and add a link later. I like Really Right Stuff legs and ballhead, with a Wimberley gimbal head for wildlife. I also have a collection of cheap legs and heads that I tried to "get by" with.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

I am haunted by waters

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:56 PM

OP might want to set a budget. You can spend $300 to $3000 or more. You will also want to leave some room for camera support, tripod legs, head and clamp which can be an investment too. I would have saved money if I avoided the cheaper tripods and bought quality the first time.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:38 PM

2nd the legs stuff. I went through 5 or 6 lesser tripods in my days. I now have a Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod with a Wimberley on it. The gimbal head is great for fast moving action and can also be tightened down for stills. Once you shoot with one you'll be hooked so don't try it if you don't want to buy it...lol

I have the Nikon D810 and it is wonderful for low light shooting :)

https://www.flickr.c...157647183029000

All photos in this album hand held :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

I will second the recomendation for the D810. Its only flaw is a relatively low burst rate.

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

The new Nikon D500 would be an excellent crop sensor alternative. The burst rate is 10 frames persecond, with a 21 megapixel sensor.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

I shoot mostly Nikon full frame (D4s and D800) but also got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 (GH4 is the current version) for hiking and motorcycle travel. It is a micro 4/3 mirrorless DSLR so it's a 2x crop factor but at 16MP it takes pretty decent shots and the camera plus a complement of 4 lenses is about as heavy as my D800 and one lens. I'm not going to replace my Nikon gear with it but it's handy to carry around and it helps me get the shots I wouldn't if I had to lug my heavy kit around.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I feel like we need to ask Stan more questions before recommending gear.  Lots of good suggestions here; however, I don't know"

- Budget?

- Does he want exchangable lenses or not?

- Water resistance?

- Intended print size?

I'm an Olympus MFT guy myself, because I hike a lot and the mirrorless stuff has a definite size/weight advantage.  If I was looking to produce bigger prints, I'd take a serious look at the Sony Alpha series.  SMALL body, wonderful lenses.  Not all waterproof though like my Oly EM-1 body and Pro lenses are.

#10 stanbiker

stanbiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the replies!

It seems I need to brush up on some new technology and terms before I start spending money. It is a little more expensive than I expected. It may need to wait until after the Hawk is delivered and modded first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users