#41 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 October 2020 - 12:18 PM

Ummmm... I was born that way?

Same here.  My handle was first bestowed on my paternal grandfather at his birth in 1897 and most recently given to my grandson at his 2013 birth, albeit with a fresh Roman numeral.

Foy

#42 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

There were 3 James Anderson's in my high school graduating class, so I started going by a concatenation of the first two letters of my first name, middle initial, first two letters of my last name:  JaSAn.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#43 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:56 PM

When not using Happyjax I use BHPR Big Happy PackRat :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#44 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:49 PM

Me, I seem to have two handles/nicknames!  My main one, Smokecreek 1/Smoke is for a place that I worked and played  at in the Great Basin  for many years, Smoke Creek-a desert creek that starts in the high country in NE Calif and ends in the delta of the Smoke Creek Desert  in Nevada.  The other one SFC (for Sgt 1st Class) was given to me by "Ted"  after a conversation about people getting frozen in their jobs  we had here and  I used the military as an example of the how many military (Army) folks made E-6 ( Staff Sgt)  early in their careers and through no fault of their own  spent the rest of it waiting to make E-7 ( SFC).  I should add here that I ended my glorious  Army one hitch military career as an E-5 B)!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 26 October 2020 - 05:50 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#45 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Love to see your comments about "making it to E-7" and your own one-hitch career topping out at E-5.  My Navy Seabee son topped out at E-5, Petty Officer 2nd class.  He was fond of saying "E-5 is the best pay grade in the Navy--you have enough rank that you don't get all of the **it jobs, but not enough rank that you're responsible for much".

He is today a very responsible commercial construction superintendent, employing skills and a work ethic derived materially from his USN training and experience.  Seabees: Can Do!

#46 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

I also enjoyed my E5 MM job in the Navy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#47 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:06 PM

No disrespect meant toward those that stayed in as an E-5-that was not the point! I too enjoyed my time as an E-5, my point was that no matter what your job is-military or civilian it is all easy to  stuck in a job with no chance of promotion, be unhappy with it and 30 years later. wake up and wonder why you never left and did wanted you too. The main point being-you only have one life to live so you had better enjoy it and not spend your life sorry about what you didn't do! 

For many in the military it is easy to get frozen in a job and grade with no hope of advancement and have 10 0r 15 years to go for retirement and the decision to go or stay  for allot of reasons is for many a hard one.  I went in thinking about making it a career,and  promotion to E-6 was there for me, but any further advancement could be difficult and at the time, getting out and going back to college was my way---again many people stayed in as E-5's, 6's or what ever and without them there would be no military! Even today, I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice, but I'm happy with what I did!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:19 PM

Buckland.... The small town where we live ...more dirt roads than paved. We call our home the "Buckland Manor" . Such a place exists in the Cotswalds of England where we, when living in London, were on a bicycle trip and ...there it was. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#49 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:19 PM

Smoke . The " you only have one life to live so you better enjoy it " is so true. I had a cousin that said " your only here once , but if you do it right , once is enough'. He passed away last week after a skiing accident in Alberta. He was only 40 , but he sure enjoyed life. Take care everyone and enjoy your time here. Sorry for getting off topic ! 

#50 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:29 AM

Smoke . The " you only have one life to live so you better enjoy it " is so true. I had a cousin that said " your only here once , but if you do it right , once is enough'. He passed away last week after a skiing accident in Alberta. He was only 40 , but he sure enjoyed life. Take care everyone and enjoy your time here. Sorry for getting off topic ! 

that guy was your cousin?  Sorry for your loss!

https://calgary.ctvn...dt at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users