6 replies to this topic

#1 AZ Pat

AZ Pat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWoodside, CA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:03 AM

Hey all, I'm in the process of converting my pickup from a horse trailer towing machine to an off-road FWC machine. As such, I've run into a snag regarding the hookup between the truck and camper. 

My truck has a six pin plug in the side and as you know the Hawk has a three pin. Is there some sort of adapter I can put between the two that any of you know of? 

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_20160620_22_47_19_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20160620_22_48_00_Pro.jpg

#2 spudder

spudder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

I wouldn't attempt using your present 6 wire plug. The 12 volt wiring is not heavy enough to carry the amp load for your camper battery charge needs. Most camper installations use a plug setup designed for boat trolling motors.

I would visit a boat sales store or an RV center and inquire about what truck to camper setup to use.

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Even the trolling motor connector's wire size is marginal. Most battery connections thru the light connector are 10 gauge max, when it really should be 8 or even 6 gauge wire for both power and ground. There are many threads on this forum about camper battery charging. In those you'll find pics and links to how various members have solved this. Don't ignore the solar threads because a fair amount of info pertinent to your question is in them too.

If your camper has tail lights you can use your existing socket to power those.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

They do make adapters but they're bulky and balky. I wouldn't trust one where its not readily accessible. Iffy enough using one for a trailer. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hmmm, the 7 pin we have in the side of the F350 truck bed works fine for the Northern Lite. The one that was in the old F250 worked fine with the Caribou. Before I decided to sell my FWC, I had intended to use it, with a 7 pin, in the F350.

Don't see a problem using the existing camper wiring. Yes, larger gauge wire would be better, but if it worked for other campers, why not a poptop?

I am haunted by waters

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

My concern with adapters is who wired the previous connectors. There are standards for the wiring codes but that doesn't mean the person who installed the old set up followed them. I've seen way too many mis-wired trailer connectors.

#7 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

I would just cut off the camper plug and put a 7 pin on it to match your truck. It is easy to change camper wire connectors over time.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adapter, power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users