• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

INDEED!... my box arrived intact as did the panel. Looks great....$115 for 160W still don't know how they can do it but if this works I will be cooking. I have Yakima tracks and have the 4 slide in flat nuts... just need to buy same thread bolts and lock washers. Speaking of which... how does one tighten up the bolts under there? will be a squeeze.  I see you removed the MC4 connectors. I have a set of M & F cord plugs from FWC... I haven't bought the wire to go through the camper from where the roof wire comes out (in the Eagle 2011) under the cabinet where the water tank access is. I wall mounted a plug 4 years ago and ran the wires across the water tank area to my batteries (under couch). I forgot what wire size to use. The roof access box down to the water tank is hard wired so will use same size I suppose. Any advice on wiring the plug at panel...length of cord? ETC. 

I currently have a portable 90 watt (on a tripod stand) I will remove the 6L and replace with the 20L. Sunsaver (morningstar).  I am building a rustic cabin in the woods and will use that panel there with the 6L.

I can't imagine needing more the 160 watts ... I got by fine on the 90 (we have a Ingle fridge and LED lights)  

Thanks for the photos and Fluke #'s....i use one too. (nice pile of cord wood)

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#22 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:53 PM

My replacement panel arrived yesterday, after my first arrived shattered. I will be installing on the roof (no racks which means I have to screw into the roof. I'm cringing) along with a Morningstar SunSaver 20 controller. My ATC Cougar is prewired for solar at the roof, with what appears to be a single, 14 gauge wire. I'm a little stumped when it comes to attaching the panel to the Truck wiring. Am I correct in thinking I can maybe reuse one of the MC4s from the old panel and crimp that to the 14gauge on the roof? And take the MC4 off the negative on the oanel and wire that directly to the roof?

#23 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:50 AM

Buckland I removed nothing. The 160 watt panels has the MC4's, The 2 smaller panels just have junction boxes. Those pics were taken shortly after Fedex dropped them off. I opened the junction boxes to access the terminals with a meter to make sure all of them worked. 

Horsehoe I would buy the needed MC4 cable connectors and the tool to attach them.

Edited by Squatch, 13 July 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#24 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

14 ga. is way, way way, too small for solar charging. Something is not right there, contact ATC as they're too savvy to make that sort of mistake.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#25 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

I thought that seemed strange too. Then I came across a thread somewhere (which of course i can't find now) that mentioned 14 gauge and I figured it must be correct. I'll check with ATC. Thanks.

#26 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

This is what I have coming through the roof...56d9076848f1fc86b8104c18b41a2697.jpg

#27 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:21 AM

The link in OP is now dead. Maybe they have sold out at this time.

#28 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:23 AM

The link in OP is now dead. Maybe they have sold out at this time.

They have 140 watt panels for $112,  as well as others, FWIW.

https://www.solarblv...roducts_id=2668

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#29 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

Warning. Old thread revival! Ha.  But for just reason.  Wanting a "one year update" from those that bought the Solar Blvd "Solar Cynergy 160watt" panels.  They are on sale again (but are sold out so I missed it), but this is the panel I plan to use when available (sale or not) because the 58" length spans the factory-installed roof tracks.  

Any updates on durability? Any clever mounting recommendations? Thinking this install will be simplified by the fact that it spans the width of the tracks and so won't have to run angle/square tube to span and mount. Will just mount directly to the track. Also considering one of the tilting mounts, but might hold off on that. Just seems like that install would also be simplified because the side mounts for a tilt mount could be connected directly to the track since the panel edge falls very close to aligning with the track. 

Thanks in advance for any Solar Cynergy updates (any wattage). 

#30 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

We bought the 160 watt panel last summer. It is still working great. Short write-up here.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users