• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

After about 2 months of work, my Eagle shell interior work is finally done. Bought shell with only the furnace & battery…nothing else. Several photos will give you an overview of key elements that I built/installed myself. Photo1: stove, AC & DC power meters (switched to save power). DC auxillary outlet, sink and hand pump faucet. AC outlet. Formica counter; Oak panel doors that were planed thin to make light weight. Kept simple with desire for lots of space and minimum power usage.

Photo2: electrical panel hidden inside the counter. Dismanteled DC breaker that came with shell and added a single unit that has 3-stage battery charger, AC breaker, and DC circuit breakers with alarms. You can see AC power input line I added.

Photo3: Framing. You can see 10 gal water tank and battery. Weight in center of truck. All framing is screwed together and can be removed, or even re-designed if desired.

Photo4: Table and chair. Table is two piece. Frame is aluminum from camping store and folds up. Can be used outside. The top if separate and formica. I may later make a base and install as part of camper but like idea of moving it outside. Chair is fully hinged and folds down completely out of the way. I have cushions that fit on it and fit on bench on other side. People sit facing each other.

Photo5: Water tank & battery compartment. Hinged top for each access. Notice slit in the wood so you can easily see the water level. No fancy gages! Notice the chair that is folded down.

We will decide if we are going to add anything more after taking it for a spin. Have not taken her on a voyage yet. I don’t recommend doing this your self if your motive is saving money. It’s a LOT of work. I only did it because I wanted the design to be exactly the way I wanted it (I’m an Engineer). Next step is installing my homemade awning (mentioned in earlier posting) outside.

Hope to see you guys on the road!

Chris
PS: wish I had seen the neat DC outlet that was posted earlier.

Attached Thumbnails

• counter_final.jpg
  • Electrical4.jpg
  • frame.JPG
  • table final.jpg
  • water battery final.JPG

#2 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

Wow, very nice!

I just love how creative the WTW members are. :thumb:

I really like your water tank "gauge".

"AC & DC power meters"... What do they measure and how/where are they connected to? Do you have a better picture of them?

THANKS,
Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#3 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

Mike, Don't have close-up pics of meters. I bought them at a marine supplies store. AC just measure the power on the incoming AC power so I know what's going into my charger if plugged in at a campground or home. The DC is tied to the battery main voltage so I can see battery voltage easily and also see that my charger is working when I plug in to the AC outlet. I put a little toggle switch next to DC meter bacause a DC meter will draw a small amount of current from the battery so I keep it off when not in use. Cheers.

#4 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

Mike, Don't have close-up pics of meters. I bought them at a marine supplies store. AC just measure the power on the incoming AC power so I know what's going into my charger if plugged in at a campground or home. The DC is tied to the battery main voltage so I can see battery voltage easily and also see that my charger is working when I plug in to the AC outlet.

OK

I put a little toggle switch next to DC meter bacause a DC meter will draw a small amount of current from the battery so I keep it off when not in use.

hmmm... current flow... do you have a battery separator? See this post "Battery separator ALWAYS has current flow?" => http://www.wanderthe...read.php?t=1400

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

Yukon,

Very nice work, I love all the storage you've created. Just curious, is the propane tank above the heater? Seems like the only spot left. And how do you access the turnbuckle ports? I'd love to see more pictures when you get a chance.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:51 PM

Chris,
Very nice, made just for you, the way you want it.
And if you want to make some changes, it's only a few screws.

Looks like a pretty big water tank, what size is it?
Dave Johnson - 2005 Taco ext cab, Bobcat shell, DIY interior.
Retired 2002, living and loving it.
Pleasanton, CA
http://home.comcast....1/MyCamper.html

#7 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

I especially like the slit to allow you to see the water level. I've been thinking of adding a tube on the outside of my cabinets, or maybe behind a cabinet door to allow me see the actual water level, rather than rely on the "Full-2/3-1/3-Empty" LEDs on the monitor panel. I like the locations FWC placed the probes in the water tank, but that degree of accuracy isn't as high as I would like - especially when deciding to stay an extra day or two.

#8 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:37 PM

It is a 10 gallon tank. ;) About the water tank how do you fill it? Is there a filler on the exterior of the camper? Very nice work.

If I could do it again I would have bought a shell and designed exactly what I wanted. I didn't want to take the time to do that. :D

The only advice I can give is to keep things modular and removable to save space and weight.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#9 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hi....yes, I have a battery seperator. I was talking about drawing current from house battery. Very small about (miliamps), but no need to waste it.

#10 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

The propane tank, stove, and furnace are all in that one box. Propane tank cabinet and furnace work was done by 4-Wheel folks. I just added the stove on top. I have complete access to the turnbuckles. It's hard to see, but those little sliding doors are not covered up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users