• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Well ...the short of it is the diesel Colorado flies like the wind ... outrageously good MPG ... but the suspension stinks. I was ignorant enough to assume the shocks would be as good as my old Tacoma. Nope... porpoising ..... the leaf springs in back way too soft... bottomed out on pot holes. Man what a lousy first trip. I put Air Lifts on before going but (has anybody else had this experience?) ...aired up to 15 lbs and put camper on. Then I put air in  gauge said 60 lbs.... trouble was they did't fill and lift the bed.... they stayed small. I have since been told I have to inflate to 80 lbs ...then put camper on... and adjust.... not like the Firestone air bags I used to have. I have the camper off now as I reassess the situation. I am hopeful that they will do their job right next time if I do the above.

That isn't the real question I have though. It is shocks: It is a new truck line ... the diesel is 650 LBs heavier than the gas engine. (tho better mileage and a LOT more power). The problem is I have wimpy shocks. I was expecting them to be like the OME shocks on the Taco. Nope. So moving on and not griping I need to get new shocks all around. I am looking at Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Boss... (others?). I want heavy duty ...but I have the camper off 6 months of the year. I am told (I am ignorant on this but learning up)  that I should buy adjustable shocks. No need for onboard as it is only 2 times a year.

Getting shocks for a new line of truck is difficult as the aftermarket hasn't caught up. All you highly knowledgable folks out there please let me know your thoughts. It is appreciated.

BTW... I am planning on a bucket list trip  to Alaska next summer to see my nephew get married in Homer where he captains a boat. I want to arrive with a smile as I am coming from New England... long haul!

Attached Thumbnails

• CE 3.jpg

Edited by buckland, 28 June 2016 - 10:01 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:24 AM

http://www.thoroughb...CFYpZhgodE8ENLw

http://www.kingshock...k-technologies/

http://iconvehicledy...pension-systems

http://www.polyperfo...ro-Truck-Shocks

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

As always ... you come through with help! Much appreciated. I have been searching but hadn't come up with any other than the Eiback. I see that 3 are all up there around the $1700 mark though they come with the coil over spring for front. The Eibacks are shock only. I have to look for the GM coil specs as I have a diesel and it weighs nearly 700 lbs more in front.....wondering if the stock coil spring would be already beefier then what was put out for the gasoline versions and so substantial in itself. As advised before by another member.... "do it right...once" .... I want to be sure as it is a huge expense... (albeit essential). Thanks again for your leads.   

Edited by buckland, 29 June 2016 - 11:21 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#4 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

The gas engine has considerably more power (305/181 hp) than the diesel.  The diesel has about 59% of the power of the gas engine; however the diesel has considerably more torque.  The gas engine has about 73% of the torque of the diesel.

You might check with the dealership to see what options are available on your truck and the corresponding spring.  For my truck (Ford) there are about five different front springs available, and the gas engine gets a softer spring than the diesel, all other things being equal.

Edited by Ace!, 29 June 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#5 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

Well ...the short of it is the diesel Colorado flies like the wind ... outrageously good MPG ... but the suspension stinks. I was ignorant enough to assume the shocks would be as good as my old Tacoma. Nope... porpoising ..... the leaf springs in back way too soft... bottomed out on pot holes. Man what a lousy first trip. I put Air Lifts on before going but (has anybody else had this experience?) ...aired up to 15 lbs and put camper on. Then I put air in  gauge said 60 lbs.... trouble was they did't fill and lift the bed.... they stayed small. I have since been told I have to inflate to 80 lbs ...then put camper on... and adjust.... not like the Firestone air bags I used to have. I have the camper off now as I reassess the situation. I am hopeful that they will do their job right next time if I do the above.

That isn't the real question I have though. It is shocks: It is a new truck line ... the diesel is 650 LBs heavier than the gas engine. (tho better mileage and a LOT more power). The problem is I have wimpy shocks. I was expecting them to be like the OME shocks on the Taco. Nope. So moving on and not griping I need to get new shocks all around. I am looking at Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Boss... (others?). I want heavy duty ...but I have the camper off 6 months of the year. I am told (I am ignorant on this but learning up)  that I should buy adjustable shocks. No need for onboard as it is only 2 times a year.

Getting shocks for a new line of truck is difficult as the aftermarket hasn't caught up. All you highly knowledgable folks out there please let me know your thoughts. It is appreciated.

BTW... I am planning on a bucket list trip  to Alaska next summer to see my nephew get married in Homer where he captains a boat. I want to arrive with a smile as I am coming from New England... long haul!

Can you post some MPG numebrs for us to drool over? 

For the shocks, Deaver springs should be your first stop? Their leaf springs for my Titan cost only $900 and are fantastic. 

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

Thanks... the w/o camper mileage is around 31 mpg (diesel is 1 cent cheaper than gas where I live too) with the camper on and loaded on a back road trip we got 21 mpg.... that said ... we weren't on hi way with the camper. My next rip will be a long drive on interstate so will have better long drive numbers later. The torque is nuts. Compared to the Tacoma I had for 15 years it is crazy. I loved my Taco. But with this acceleration and mileage ...comfort in the cab... tech availability  ... all I need is to sort out the suspension.  I have gotten good leads. What I am trying to find out now is whether the stock (DIESEL) springs up front are sufficient... meaning the diesel is 700 lbs. heavier than the gas model... so if they have HD coil springs ...I could perhaps get by with four HD  adjustable shocks ( I have air bags). If that is less than ideal I will get new leaf spring pack... the folks at Alcan said  "We can build you a custom set of springs for $650.00" so that seems good if I go that route.

I just gotta decide what to do.... it is a BIG amount of $ to me and I don't want to make a mistake. So I am hoping for good advice from a lot of knowledgable folks and then I'll 'jump off the dock'

Henry David Thoreau

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:26 AM

The gas engine has considerably more power (305/181 hp) than the diesel.  The diesel has about 59% of the power of the gas engine; however the diesel has considerably more torque.  The gas engine has about 73% of the torque of the diesel.

Proof once again that we buy horsepower but we drive torque.

The ability to accelerate under almost any conditions and with almost any load is my favorite part of having a diesel truck. 

Foy

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

So I guess my question is: (Showing my ignorance) ... how does one buy a heavy duty shock to match the weight being carried? How do the numbers translate into ride? I know I need beefy HD shocks... But I don't want a monster truck.

Henry David Thoreau

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:41 AM

So I guess my question is: (Showing my ignorance) ... how does one buy a heavy duty shock to match the weight being carried? How do the numbers translate into ride? I know I need beefy HD shocks... But I don't want a monster truck.

Tough question for sure.  However, it might help you if you realize it isn't about the weight being carried.  It's about the strength of the springs.  To visualize this, imagine driving without ANY shocks (ever seen a car going down the road with a wheel hopping up and down like mad?)  Here is a youtube video of that! LINK

The job of the shock is to dampen the movement of the "unsprung" weight of the suspension against the forces generated by the springs and any deflections caused by the road surface.

So, if you are getting CUSTOM valved shocks, you can tell the builder what the spring rate is that you have.  I'm sure the good folks at Deaver could supply you with that info.

Otherwise, you buy a SET of shocks/springs that are designed to work together.

I hope that helps.

Vic

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

I am learning slowly. Thanks for the clear description. It is my hope that the stock spring pack and Air Lifts would be sufficient but I have my doubts. My first thought ids to get shocks....if that isn't enough then new rear leaf packs. Alcan said they have already designed a pack for the this model truck.... $650.... then shipping and install.... would go with that if it is necessary...

Does anyone have  and can recommend Eibacks? Icons? Bilsteins? OME? Boss? Kings? 

Edited by buckland, 01 July 2016 - 10:36 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users