shocks

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Looks great Buckland. Did it sit level with the fwc?

#12 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

Well .... I added (in the other Colorado string) a 3 ½ " riser on the base of camper. It is 3/16" above rail. I have been on very rough roads and lots of bouncing and it stayed firmly in place (I have a rubber mat as well in bed). Cab over was same as my taco at that point. Shocks are very bad hoping to get maybe Boss adjustable or OME.. Yup was level.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Edited by buckland, 03 July 2016 - 11:28 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#13 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:15 AM

When I replaced the old shocks on my Landcruiser. I bought Rancho but when I held the oem up to the new Ranchos I returned the aftermarkets and bought OEM. The difference in build was actually shocking. No idea who Toyota sources their shocks from but they are really beefy.

I've often wondered if the more pricy after market stuff was a result of marginal oem stuff used on the Domestic trucks?

#14 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

Buckland if this makes you feel any better. I was getting gas for my boat earlier today and spoke with a fellow in a Colorado. He worked for a local utility contractor. He said they had several in their fleet and most are nearing 70k miles at least. He said they have all been very trouble free. Especially compared to the other small trucks they used in the past 10 years. That's a good recommendation. Fleet users are hard on trucks. I know I worked for a utility for almost 30 years and drove a service truck.

#15 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

You got a good heart Squatch. That does reassure. I just got home from the dealer...they have been decent folk so far... they are going to discuss it with the tech folks at GM. i gave them the weight card documentation and told them it just shouldn't be happening. I have to go away for a month...when I get back I will put the camper back on and take them for a test drive. In the end I will still replace the Shocks with adjustable one if I can get them. Thanks again for the words.

Henry David Thoreau

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:50 AM

I decided to move on...why put that energy out to the dealer....my goal is to have truck that makes me smile and carries the load. So far I'm half way there.... I found a guy in Montana that has a diesel Colorado and he put a FWC pop up on it. He took it it to Boise Spring Works... they took off the bottom heavy leaf and put on 3 or 4 more to create a ride that waltzes both with weight on and off... that and new shocks...he was clear sailing .... I am hoping to match his ride. I would have the perfect truck as I can't live with looking back at Toyotas carrying the weight I can't. ( that said I can feel the diesel purr at 30 mpg!)

Henry David Thoreau

#17 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:19 AM

We just spent 6 days Northern CA coast. Range and good mileage is a blessing when exploring up that way. Sounds like you have a pretty solid suspension plan.

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

The solution will have to be a new leaf pack and new shocks.... at this time I don't see the ones I want as I only want to do this once. So sadly the camper will stay off the truck this year. Less a matter of ride comfort more a matter of safety.  

BTW: restore got back to me ...2 weeks too late ...as i had bought the Airlifts instead...Firestone website did not mention y truck and calls were not replied... that said....Firestone double checked and the NEW airbags for the 2016 Colorado is out despite what heir website says... the part number is 2587 ... so there ya have it... if the air lifts fail (again) I will just take a deep breath and buy the firestone. 

Edited by buckland, 13 July 2016 - 11:53 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#19 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:40 PM

For those lucky Diesel Colorado folks of the future..... I have settled on a solution. I have air lifts (would have used Ride Rites but did not know they started for my truck...web site lag)... Will get (hopefully) BOSS 12 way adjustable HD shocks. ..... Leaf springs:  .... came close to "add-a-leaf" option (but did that on the Taco and the ride was way too stiff w/o camper)....so ... I decided to go with the change in leaf pack. Boise Idaho (Ya ..I'm from New England) Boise Spring Works did a diesel Colorado 2016 with a progressive spring pack added (4 leaves) after removing the main real thick main leaf..... that way they explained I will maintain the ride.... add only 1/2" inch in height and be able to remove the camper 6 months and not be riding rough. Now for the sacrifice: I will add the shocks and the 2" front lift and then drive to Idaho with the camper on (I have the air lift supports) to their place.... get the new progressive pack and .... happily (I hope) head to my destination... Homer Alaska for my nephews wedding.... (wife flying to WA to avoid it all)...there we get the ferry to AK. I hope the whole thing works.... as I have to drive from Alaska to New England.... great mileage on the diesel but want a suspension stress free ride (wife flies.... hey what is this?!)..... plans...I love plans... this will all take place shocks first (ASAP) then June 2017 western HO!

Henry David Thoreau

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

If you had two seemingly opposed opinions for what is best for carrying the camper 6 months of the year (6 months off) ... all I can think is to ask those that might have done one or the other or both. Basically it is either an add-leaf or progressive spring pack. 

here are two quotes of what is offered:

Boise Spring Works:  

Adding an add-a-leaf will over stiffen the leaf pack. Fine when the camper is on but will be 

too stiff w/o the camper. Progressive leaf springs (removing the main and adding four smaller ones) will
be able to handle the full range of weight… when the camper is on or when it is not. This only adds 1/2” over stock height. 

Auto Springs:

You must be talking about Boise Spring. We are Auto Spring.. You called
the wrong company. Removing the bottom overload leaf and installing 4
short leaves that are always in affect will ruin your factory soft ride
and that is what Boise Spring does..Our full length add a leaf does not
screw up your nice ride. We sell our add a leaf kits to Chevy/GM dealers
all across the US

Any tried opinions? Otherwise I will have to flip a coin!

( I tried and failed to contact the FWC guy who has a Colorado diesel and had the Boise spring pack put on)

Henry David Thoreau

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users