• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 singlefin

singlefin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Would like to get some ideas on any mods to improve the roll over couch. I have heard of folks removing the back rest in order to improve the "view" out the passenger bay window then adding bean bag chairs for back support. Also, heard of folks modifying the seat box and installing a Westy swivel table instead of the std FWC stationary table. Solicit your creative thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The Western city of

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

Alternative to std FWC table?
The Lagun (or knockoff) swivel table bracket is a popular alternative.

It's my favorite mod I've made to my camper! 

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Well, OK, maybe the solar power system is the best mod...but the Lagun swivel table is a close second. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:48 AM

I ordered a Hawk with the rollover couch in May at Overland Expo West. I didn't like all the dead space between the couch back and window. After looking at it with Stan (I think) we determined that it would be pretty easy to make the couch back removable by using thumb screws to remove it from the brackets. There is an aluminum frame in the couch back that attaches to the brackets. This is my plan..

I believe we determined it can be laid on the bed for storage when dropping the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#4 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:22 AM

IMO, the old style (pre-roll over) couch was a much better arrangement. it gave you 7 more inches of isle space with a removable back. maybe FWC should still offer that as an option.

CWD

CWDT

#5 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

CWD... what year/years were the pre-roll over couch ?

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:02 AM

Which is the reason I built our " gaucho" type couch. Comfortable and doesn't block the floor area

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#7 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

Mickey, not sure what year the roll over couch appeared. I saw the first one when FWC was still in Riverside and it was fairly new then, maybe 2009?

RC Jim, I have seen pix of your gaucho couch and it is very clever.

CWD

CWDT

#8 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:44 PM

CWD... what year/years were the pre-roll over couch ?

My 1997 Eagle has the pre-rollover couch. Pull up the seat, extend the legs, move it into the aisle. Release two hooks for the back and drop it next to the seat. Check that the cleats under the seat are properly situated to engage the cabinet underneath.

Easy, quicker to do than to write. Very solid if the cleats are in the right place.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#9 Campernature

Campernature

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

I ordered a Hawk with the rollover couch in May at Overland Expo West. I didn't like all the dead space between the couch back and window. After looking at it with Stan (I think) we determined that it would be pretty easy to make the couch back removable by using thumb screws to remove it from the brackets. There is an aluminum frame in the couch back that attaches to the brackets. This is my plan..

I believe we determined it can be laid on the bed for storage when dropping the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Sounds like a good idea.  Has anyone tried this, or thinks it would be relatively easy to do?   I don't have a FWC, but would like to know if this is option before purchasing one with a rollover couch. 

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:00 PM

2008 Hawk has the roll over couch function, FYI

We actually love all the storage back there.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users