• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

Interesting small truck option from Bend's EarthCruiser. Not many details yet such as price and availability. It looks nice although I have my doubts that the weight can be kept within reason. The bed layout looks dubious to me based on my experience with the XPCamper. I'll have to take a look at one in person. 

http://earthcruiser....rthcruiser-gzl/

L1050476-1-1024x796.jpg

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Interesting. But it still has vinyl sides. Even though we use our FWC year round, I really like the fact that the XP V2 is hard sided. That would make winter camping much more enjoyable. I have not been in a production V2 yet. I'd like to lie in the bed to check out the issue you mentioned.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

Looks pretty nice. Not sure of interior layout and no price. But being in Oregon, it's a non starter for me.

#4 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

The EC-GZL appears to be an import of the GaZell, a French camper manufactured in Poland. A high-end model has a cost of around 30,000 €. 

#5 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Looking on the Gazell website these campers look very impressive.  However, I'm also in the camp of hard sides are better for winter camping.  It's nice to see a composite camper that looks well built and thought out.  I'd like to check one out in person.

#6 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

I dropped by the EarthCruiser shop in Bend and looked at the GZL on a Tacoma with beefed up shocks and springs. They are still working on details but the basic unit is impressive albeit expensive ($30k+). It looks very European both inside and out. They plan a few changes better suited to the American market and to reduce weight (around 750 lbs dry). 

The top is relatively easy to raise and lower with piston assist. The pop-up sides are soft but well insulated and have several adjustable openings. I think winter camping would be comfortable. 

The dinette is big enough to seat 4 and can be converted into a bed, so it is possible for a family of 4 to travel. The table can even be moved outside. However, the limited storage and truck payload make it more likely for this to be suitable for a couple. The storage consists of many small cubbyholes--I counted 15--and shallow cabinets with some additional space under the seats. The cubbyholes are covered with a thick, flexible fabric to keep stuff in place, although I'm afraid I could never find anything with so many places to look! 

The bed slides out to a north-south direction with your head towards the rear. I found this arrangement to be very awkward in the XPCamper V2, and the GZL is similar. That alone would keep me from considering this camper although it might not bother some people, especially if they are alone. 

All-in-all my impression is that the GZL is a strong, compact, high-end unit that should carry well on a mid-sized pickup. But perfection doesn’t exist--definitely not in campers--so you have to decide if the layout and cost work for you. If so, the GZL would be a great choice and is backed by an experienced company. 

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for your report on another format.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for your report on another format.

Yes, thank you. It is great to see different designs and ideas.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Yes, thank you. It is great to see different designs and ideas.

I went back and looked at this during my mid-morning break. I like the idea of a molded composite body. On this camper I would like to see a wider door and the spare tire off the camper. I'd also like to see an idea with a pop up on both ends and a sideliner with robust insulating value. Just my thoughts .

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

There was one at Expo East and I had a chance to go inside and check it out. Now I'm coming from a Hallmark Everest so take this with a grain of salt but it felt very claustrophobic to me. There weren't a lot of windows for natural light and of course it hinges at the front so the sleeping area seemed tight.

The guy said the cost was about 35K...

Edited by smlobx, 19 October 2016 - 07:45 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users