• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 16 July 2016 - 01:23 AM

At the last couple of rallies I’ve attended I mentioned that I would like to organize a rally in the Randsburg area. Well the time has come to either put up or shut up so I’ll be inviting any interested WTW members to join me on the weekend of October 15-16 for a weekend of camping and a historic desert tour.  

For those of you not familiar with the area, Randsburg is a small desert mining / tourist town located in the Rand Mountains north east of Mojave. I have been hanging out in this area since the late 60’s and usually lead my 4x4 club on a run every year. There are many interesting things to see in the area relating to mining history.

My plan for the weekend is to set up a base camp in the Garlock Valley near Goler Heights. This is a large relatively flat area on a mesa overlooking Garlock Road which should be easy to find.  A 2wd truck with decent ground clearance should do fine on the trails we will be driving. If anyone is not interested in the desert tour they are welcome to just hang out in camp.

On Saturday morning I plan on heading into the El Paso Mountains to visit Burro Schmidt’s tunnel, Bickel Camp, Last Chance Canyon, Bonanza Gulch, the Dutch Cleanser Mine and the Holy Ash Mine. We will then return to the base camp for a potluck dinner and refreshments around the camp fire.

Sunday will be a half day run to Randsburg. We will go to Government Peak which is the highest point in the Rand Mountains for a view of the Garlock fault, Yellow Aster mine and the tri-cities area of Red Mountain, Johannesburg and Randsburg. From there we will go down into Randsburg to wander around the town and maybe have a malt at the general store soda fountain. Baring unseen problems we should be done about noon.

If you are interested I would recommend you google these attractions to learn a little history of the area. The GPS coordinates for the base camp are N35 25.321  W117 44.907. The area for the base camp has plenty of room but parking is limited at some of the points of interest. It is also difficult to keep track of a large group so I would like to limit the number of vehicles on the trail to around 15. Hopefully we can double up if anyone has an extra seat. If you have a street legal off road toy bring it along.

If there is any interest I’ll put together a sign up list.

Dick

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

New area to explore for me. Hopefully work slows down by then and I can make it even if it is a long drive. Definitely a maybe for now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

I stopped by Randsburg on a road trip that ended at Lassen. Interesting living ghost town. Have some pictures at beginning of the trip picture library.

https://keithbarnes....rn-CA-Vacation/

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:52 PM

Put me on the list, It's on my calendar. 

I might tow the Samurai in if there will be other "toys"

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#5 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

October is a great time to do a desert trip.  I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this thread and see if I can swing it when the day gets closer.  Thanks for organizing this.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#6 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

Put me on the list, I'll be there.  Thanks Dick!

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:18 AM

Put me on the list, It's on my calendar. 

I might tow the Samurai in if there will be other "toys"

Jim,

I'll probably be heading out Thursday afternoon to do some recon runs and play on Friday. If you can swing it join me with your Sami.

Dick

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

Attendance List:

1. Camel racer                                        Yes                                       extra seat
  2. craig333                                              Yes
  3. RC Pilot Jim                                         Yes                                    extra seat
  4. K6ON                                                   No
  5. GroovyDad                                          maybe
  6. ETAV8R                                               maybe
  7. Tuff Guy 62                                          no
  8. Marc                                                    maybe
  9. Gussie                                                 maybe
  10. Fish Bamboo                                       maybe
  11. Terryhensley1                                      Yes

#9 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:15 AM

Put me down as a maybe

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#10 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like a blast. Put me down as a maybe.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users