• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#11 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Hey Dick, yes I can make it Thursday. Assuming you will tow your Jeep in.
What about Sunday trip to the Astor mine.....Will you tow to Randsburg ? or leave your truck at Garlock area?

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

I stopped by Randsburg on a road trip that ended at Lassen. Interesting living ghost town. Have some pictures at beginning of the trip picture library.

https://keithbarnes....rn-CA-Vacation/

Just checked out your trip photos. Very nice trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

Today they told us we'll working 7 days through October. Hoping that changes as things get closer. Otoh maybe I can finally afford new tires for the Jeep :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Hey Dick, yes I can make it Thursday. Assuming you will tow your Jeep in.
What about Sunday trip to the Astor mine.....Will you tow to Randsburg ? or leave your truck at Garlock area?

Jim,

I'll be leaving the truck /camper at the Garlock base camp for the whole weekend. Can't make any promises about security but we've been doing this for many years without any problems.

Dick

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#15 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Dick

Count me in as a maybe.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#16 Gussie

Gussie

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDunsmuir, California, USA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

Put me down as a definite maybe - that's a long drive for me, but if the guy is still hand-mixing sodas in the Randsburg General Store, it'll be worth it.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." (Oscar Wilde)

2016 ATC Bobcat on a 2023 Tacoma Off-Road

#17 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Ok Dick. It will probably be easier to 'base camp" and  navigate with smaller vehicles. My "Sami" has one extra seat and room in back for the beer and sandwiches. With my 65 hp motor I'm not to fast if we drive much freeways between off-road though.

Radios

I assume we bring 2 way radios for communication.  If you don't have one (pair) Go to Costco and purchase "Motorola Talkabout " 2-way radios - $69,99 comes with  case. Bring extra Duracell AA batteries as the rechargeable ones are old and may fail (one of my two did).

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#18 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

if the guy is still hand-mixing sodas in the Randsburg General Store, it'll be worth it.

Ahhhh.. Cherry Phosphates, yum, although... limit one per day, no matter how good they taste going down, you don't really want too much of a good thing going back up.

Or, have them make you a banana milk shale, double yum. No restrictions.

Can't say if I'll be there... too many variables at this time.

However, I'll stay tuned to this thread.

#19 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

Ok Dick. It will probably be easier to 'base camp" and  navigate with smaller vehicles. My "Sami" has one extra seat and room in back for the beer and sandwiches. With my 65 hp motor I'm not to fast if we drive much freeways between off-road though.

Radios

I assume we bring 2 way radios for communication.  If you don't have one (pair) Go to Costco and purchase "Motorola Talkabout " 2-way radios - $69,99 comes with  case. Bring extra Duracell AA batteries as the rechargeable ones are old and may fail (one of my two did).

Jim,

I just got a GMRS/FRS radio that I'm trying to figure out. I'll also have a CB on board so I will be able to monitor both. Don't worry about freeway speed. There's less than 10 miles of 2 lane pavement between camp and the trailheads.

On the "to bring" list for everybody is firewood. There's a nice fire ring in camp for us to sit around in the evening and trade lies. This may be one of the last places in California where fires are allowed.

Dick

#20 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

Put me down as a definite maybe - that's a long drive for me, but if the guy is still hand-mixing sodas in the Randsburg General Store, it'll be worth it.

Gussie,

I just did that drive at the beginning of July. I left McCloud and had breakfast at Bartle's in the morning and dinner at the Garlock campsite. Long drive but it was beautiful. Hwy 395 is one of my favorite roads.

As of last November the soda fountain was still there and delicious.

Dick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users