99 replies to this topic

#31 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

Great info everyone, thanks. If I manage to find a used camper I will look into the speaker lift device in combination with the exterior gas struts.

Guitar Center, usually well under $100 USD. There are a couple of threads on the topic.

I am haunted by waters

#32 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

Guitar Center, On Stage Stand, SS8800 B+ Power crank-up speaker stand.

Can be used with the hand crank or a cordless drill driver.

I believe that most of us just use the center pole part, making something soft (rubber feet or whatever) on the ends to not mar the floor or the roof and/or perhaps to spread the contact point and load to a larger area.

It was on sale at $59 with free shipping when I got mine and I think it goes on sale regularily.

Find and read the threads on the forum to get more details.

#33 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:54 AM

I'll add our love of paddling to the list. We have an older Navarro Egret (16 foot, fiberglass-wood) and had kayaks but much prefer the canoe. Most outings are local Cascade Lakes (Hosmer, Sparks and Waldo are favorites) and the Deschutes River, although we have also been to coastal bays, the Klamath water trail, and other locations in the western states. When the camper is off the truck the canoe can go in the bed, but with the camper on it requires a trailer. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#34 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

After I got my camper, I realized that getting my hard kayak on/off the roof would be a trick, so I sold my hard kayak and got an Aquaglide Panther inflatable. It's great!
It folds up and fits into my truck rear-seat area, I've got my paddles on a gun rack in my truck back window

Pugsly has her own life-jacket, and Argos can swim.
I haven't taken both the dogs out at the same time - I think it might be a bit much to deal with... but they've both been out on the lakes with me.

BaCHHhIl8Na45bmRUuLfJNQFvWP5HHmy8Gk3X-Si

tV_u_ztePgBfju2NFhknu4rSliMHZP0W6ZEo9CpO

Edited by hoyden, 23 August 2016 - 05:34 PM.

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#35 Stromtrooper

Stromtrooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

We just did a week trip to Hood River with a 12'6" SUP and a small whitewater playboat kayak weighing 50lb total. We bought a speaker stand to use to help lift the roof when the racks were loaded. We used the speaker stand and broke the front wooden lift plate in two because the top of the speaker stand pole made it so all the lifting force was spread out over only 2." If you use a speaker stand be sure to make a plate that will spread out the force over the whole wooden lift plate. We found that tag-teaming the front lifting process is the way to go. We replaced the lift plate, and will be getting rid of the stand we think. 

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport

2007 FWC Eagle

#36 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

On my now sold Grandby, I made a complete lift bar for the front. It was not screwed into the ceiling, so I just positioned it when being used, spreading the force across multiple stringers. I used a Forstner bit to create the pocket for the lift.

On the back, just a 4" square plate screwed into the lift bar. No issues.

I am haunted by waters

#37 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

I made plywood panels the same size as the lift plates to help strenghten them. Use the speaker stand all the time with up to 75# on the roof and have not had an issue. But back to boats - currently have 13' Otter raft with fishing frame; Mad River Explorer (28 years old and still going); Bell Yellowstone solo canoe; PakBoat Quest 13; old kickboat for fishing; Native Ultimate 14 for fishing/hunting; several whitewater kayaks over the years; am starting to build a Gentry kayak this winter. If anyone has a used Kevlar canoe for sale cheap, let me know, the back would love it!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#38 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:37 AM

Sea kayaking has been "
Our thing" for the last ten years. Started with a Pygmy than tried a easy rider.
Now settled on sterling ice cap and illusion. Wife likes her ndk Romany. We enjoyed north and west coast Vancouver island, like the broughtons also. Nice to wheel on the Alaska ferry and paddle in between stops ( wrangel and ketcican). Kayak surfing at the coast. X2 on Ross and Chelan lake. Bit of river boating on the skqgit
and stillaguamish.
Shoulder problems and latent longing for sage and pinyon, have me wanting to move inland. Interested in any of the lakes and rivers in the west. Want to plan for Shoshone lake in Yellowstone and Teton river in 17
Figure on rigging a set of rollers to haul up onto the northstar, until can find or build a performance oriented folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#39 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

I've been paddling canoes since the middle '70's. Whitewater kayaking in the early 80's and then whitewater canoeing.  Bought a couple of Eddyline kayaks in 1992 and started going to Baja in the winters and Pacific northwest in the summers.  Solo self support trips in small groups were my favorites back when we could still get permits for rivers.  Solo canoed the Middle Fork Salmon river in Idaho 6 times self-support, as well as the Main Salmon, Green and Colorado Rivers.  Westwater Canyon and the Grand Canyon were my solo canoeing highlights.  

My favorite and most used boat is a 18-1/2' Wenonah Whitewater II that I bought in 1980.  It has the "Cruiser" USCA racing hull but was built as a downriver racer.  At 32" wide at the 4" waterling it is long and sleek and the perfect boat for flatwater stretches like Labrynth Canyon on the Green.   It carries a lot of gear and tracks straight, a real joy to paddle.  My only regret is that it is fiberglass instead of Kevlar.  I'm looking at a new 16-1/2' Kevlar Wenonah Solo Plus canoe to replace it, but I'll sell my old Mad River Explorer before I ever sell my Whitewater II.  I will still use the old one if I have someone to help me handle its' 65#.

The new Kevler canoe should ride up on our new Grandby with no problem.  

#40 pikabike

pikabike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:23 AM

allanb,

I am new to the forum. My husband and I moved out of our longtime home in CO to NW WA. The sea kayaking there is fantastic, but for a lot of reasons we ended up moving BACK to CO after only four years. We are very happy to be home again, this time in a different part of CO--which still feels like home.

We have paddled several times in the Yellowstone area, and Shoshone Lake is one of our favorite multiday paddle camping trips. If you are not familiar with that area, try to find a copy of Don Nelson's guidebook to paddling Yellowstone and Grand Teton waters. It is the bible.

Lake Powell is another favorite. Unfortunately, aquatic invasives (zebra mussels, quagga mussels) have been found there. This means you need to really bone up on AIS prevention regulations, which vary by venue.

We use a lightweight kayak trailer to transport our sea kayaks, a SKUK Pilgrim Expedition for me and a WS Tempest 170 for him. A few times we have resorted to rooftop racks, but we really hate using those. If the focus of a trip is not primarily kayaking, I transport a WW kayak inside my truck bed and topper, fully enclosed, which is delightfully easy. Although slow compared to a sea kayak, it is still fun to paddle, even on lakes.

Now that we are back where we can travel a long ways on land in all directions, I look forward to doing a lot more mountain and desert hiking, exploring, and camping, maybe even another backpack or few. And the mountain biking is absolutely tops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users