78 replies to this topic

#1 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

I am pricing out used 3/4 ton pickup trucks for possible installation of a FWC Grandby. An 8-ft. bed is required.

Are there any 3/4 ton trucks known for fuel economy compared to others? I realize with a truck this size fuel economy is limited, but some models may be less bad than others.

Thank you.

#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:52 AM

To my knowledge there is no resource to compare various 3/4 ton pick ups...

In general terms the diesel versions will get better mileage than their gas counterparts and smaller gas engines may get better mileage than their larger cousins...

My guess is that the Dodge diesels with the Cummins engine probably gets the best mileage of the group...all other things being equal..

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:34 AM

I have an old 2005 Ram 2500 diesel. Just got back from a 2400 mile trip to Colorado. I have a 2000 lb camper and tow a SWB Wrangler Rubicon. We logged our miles and calculated our mileage. We got between 11-12 mpg. https://keithbarnes....016/i-CC6Txr5/A

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#4 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

In general terms the diesel versions will get better mileage than their gas counterparts and smaller gas engines may get better mileage than their larger cousins...

My guess is that the Dodge diesels with the Cummins engine probably gets the best mileage of the group...all other things being equal..

Yes, it stands to reason that lower horsepower motors would have an advantage mpg-wise. As to fuel, I prefer gas over diesel.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:02 AM

just bought a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the 8.1L (496ci) gas engine.  I expect to get about 10 mpg.  Chevy 6.6L diesel of the same vintage would probably get 14 mpg.  I calculated the total cost of ownership and break even on the diesel was about 6 years driving 15000 miles a year.  By then I will probably want a different truck, so I went with gas.

#6 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Yes, it stands to reason that lower horsepower motors would have an advantage mpg-wise.

That depends. If the lower-horsepower engine has to work harder all the time, perhaps not. For example, when we swapped our FWC from a Toyota pickup with a 22RE four-cylinder and five-speed to a Tacoma with the 3.4 and auto, our fuel economy stayed virtually identical. Yes, the 3.4 was a more advanced engine, but given a 50 percent increase in horsepower the phenomenon was remarkable.

#7 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

There's not a ton of MPG data for HD trucks, but you can find some numbers on www.fuelly.com for HD trucks

#8 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

I've found what JHanson said is true.

When comparing 3/4 or 1-ton trucks, the best mileage isn't always the smallest or least horsepower engine.  I used to be very active on a full size truck forum and over years of participating in mileage discussions it became clear that a big gas engine usually got poorer fuel economy most of the time (empty), but when hooked up to a trailer or hauling a heavier load in the bed, the smaller gas engines had to work much harder and got mileage that was worse than the larger gas engine.  Based on owners that participated in mileage surveys, my truck gets better mileage than a 5.4L V8 in the same truck when hauling.

I also purchased a 6.2L V8 gas truck for work.  Same thing.  My 6.8L V10 engine gets better mileage when hooked up to a trailer or with a camper.  I keep my camper on the truck year-round.  I think the 6.8L V10 truck is about perfect for that, and I'm happy I don't have a truck with a smaller engine, or V8.  If I didn't have the camper in the bed of the truck very often, or just when I was going on a trip, it might be different.

Also, to remember is gearing.  Some trucks have very high gearing, for mileage.  Other trucks are equipped with much lower gearing, which means more torque at the rear wheels.  Yes, some gas trucks have more torque at the rear wheels than diesel trucks, just based on gearing, but usually mileage suffers.  You'll usually find diesel trucks to have higher gearing, as the diesel engine makes enough torque to compensate, and then get much better mileage on the highway.  A gas truck can be had with the higher gears, but then lacks the torque at the rear wheels.  Although mileage will be better with the higher gears, it begins to suffer when the loads get heavier and the lack of torque requires the truck to work harder (operate at a less efficient RPM).

#9 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:12 PM

2012 F250 with the 6.2 gas 3.73 gear. Recent trip to Colo. 12.2-13mpg hwy 70-75mph. 4x4H back roads in Gunnison area averaged 12mpg. Coming home out of Denver to Houston pulling a Uhaul for my daughter 70-75mph we averaged 11.5mpg. My 2006 tundra 4.0v6, used to average 12-14 on flat terrain driving 65mph. I might be averaging about 1 mpg less with the new truck, well worth it for the increased capability.

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

All good stuff here. We have a 2013 F-250/Grandby and get 12-13+/- with the camper on. I've always been a Ford guy, but I'm sure others would say the same about Chevy, GMC, and Dodge. Check them all out and go with your gut. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users