• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:19 AM

With some of the campers extending a bit beyond the rear bumper, has anyone come up with a "bumper extension" to bring the bumper out beyond the camper? Some sort of clamp on addition that's easy to take off when you're not using the camper.

For those moments when you just "might" back into something, or when someone bumps into you in a parking space, etc. Seems like it could save damage to the camper - hate to have some idiot smack the camper in a parking lot or something just because the bumper didn't extend far enough.

Thanks!
Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#2 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:14 AM

Sorry, I am no help except to be a smart a$$.

...camper in a parking lot...

Hmm, parking lot in the forest or desert? ;)

Oxymoron: A camper in a parking lot. :rolleyes:

Mike

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#3 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

I've been thinking about unbolting my rear bumper, adding spacers and bolting the bumper back on.

But then, as long as I'm going to the trouble of making spacers that look OK as well as do something, I may as well just make some sort of extended bumper.

Good topic, Kokopelli

#4 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

It would be nice to build a custom bumper with a removable or fold up step... perhaps even adjustable depending where you end up being parked. Hmm...
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#5 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

I would think fabricating something that would go into a reciever hitch that would serve as a step and bumper combo would be the best option.
Just my .02

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:05 PM

I don't see to many guys extended their rear bumper.

But I do know that customers do it from time to time.

Here is a picture of a guy the put a Grandby Model on a short bed truck and did make an extended bumper.

It looks pretty good and he make a grey water storage PVP pipe in front of it with the extra space that was there.

Attached Thumbnails

• shell with grey water.jpg
  • shell with AC.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:04 AM

Like the idea of the step/bumper.

Searched for hitch steps and found this 36" step/bumper from Go Rhino. Would be nice if it was wider, but this might do the trick.

http://www.realtruck...14130P1C1T.html

Thanks for the ideas!
Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:27 AM

Looks like those Rhino models are good for a step but if you need protection they would need to be trussed to do any good.

I think I need to make a step that fits in the receiver for mine. It would need to be removed for off road because I drag the hitch receiver on steep departure angle. I have a Renuel front and rear bumper made out of ¼” steel with ½" steel mounting brackets. I had them make longer reach for the rear and worked great when I had the older Fleet FWC. Now the Ranger FWC sticks out further and I too often think about protection.

I could do a longer reach but with being that long need to weld up some trusses to beef it up but then I would drag even more on departure. If I know in advance I un-bolt and remove the reciever. Been ok since 2001 so maybe let the wheels turn for a solution a while longer.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01093.JPG
  • BackView.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 trailrider71

trailrider71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

www.crbrophy.com
these guys make a nice USA made hitch extension and double step that is adjustable in length.
sean www.go-anywhere.us
your midwest source for FWCampers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users