• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#11 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:04 PM

FWIW, I moved the two wood keeps on the seat back about an extra 1" or 1.5" apart so that the portable table would fit between (not on) those keepers and lay flat against the seat back while the portable table is stored.

Mike

Sometimes the small details are the most inspiring!

Thanks, Mike.

#12 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:09 AM

FWIW, I moved the two wood keeps on the seat back about an extra 1" or 1.5" apart so that the portable table would fit between (not on) those keepers and lay flat against the seat back while the portable table is stored.

Mine sits between the keepers from the factory...

My solution to my DD problem is simple. Just lay the back flat on top of the seat. The cloth to cloth surface friction is enough to safely keep the seat back positioned flat on top of the bench without fear of damage. The back is not parallel to the bench, so the table--which goes in the rear, passenger corner--can be held in place by the seat back's leg.

This gives me PLENTY of visibility for the DD.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#13 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

A couple of quick pictures.

The first shows the awning extended. I have a love-hate relationship with the awning. I hate pulling it out, I hate putting it away, I love sitting under it. Maybe the hate will go away if I use it more?

The second is part of "why we have a camper". Our little guy sleeps safe and semi-sound in his "nest" "downstairs". He sleeps better when he can't see--and want to play with--Mom and Dad. And he won't sleep under a blanket. If you pretend, you can see the thermostat reads 75. It was mid 50s outside.

I love the furnace! Our bedding is a Coccon travel sheet and a large wool blanket. Easy to set up, store, and clean. The "mattress" in the ATC is wonderful. No problem sleeping at all. My wife likes it, too.

(Note: this time we have my wife's girls' tent in the background.)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2819690991_ef0c6b932e.jpg
  • 2820535960_ecc37e39f0.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#14 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:41 AM

After half-unloading the camper on Monday, I decided to putter around with the AC install Jeff and Marty built for me.

The unit looks great installed. Many thanks to ATC for building and Mark for inspiring.

With 2 people the unit installs fairly easily. The same goes for one person, but the window must be removed. I did it myself, carefully, with the window left in place.

With the outside temperature around 95 degrees (according to weather.com--I think it was closer to 100, myself), the unit cooled the camper to the low 70s in a matter of 30 minutes or so, BUT the "upstairs" tended to remain warm. I think the AC would work fine in the same temperature with the sun down. Installing the Arctic Pack would help, too.

That said, we could do a number of other things, for example: use a small fan to move the cool air upstairs, leave the top in the down position and sleep on the couch. The second not optimal, but it might work for the FEW times we will need the unit.

Attached Thumbnails

• ac_inside.jpg
  • ac_outside.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#15 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

2007 Ford 6.0 PSD (Diesel)

Without camper, easy daily drive: 16+ mpg.
With camper, same easy commute: 14+ mpg.

A recent trip w/ elevation change of about 6000 feet NO camper, aggressive driving: 13+ mpg.
2 recent similar elevation change trips, camper on, more relaxed driving, but with tow/haul engaged for most of the trip: 13+ mpg.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#16 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

Dear Scott,

I wrapped a piece of expanded metal across the outside of mine to try to protect the cooling fins.

:thumb:

I wonder how long the glass will go before the vibrating A/C chips it?

:eek:

Probably better not to leave it on.

Mark

#17 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

Dear Scott,
I wonder how long the glass will go before the vibrating A/C chips it?

:eek:

Probably better not to leave it on.

The AC has a couple large rubber stoppers/stand-offs that the glass rests on. I'm more worried they'll get dirt on them and scratch the heck out of the glass!

I was thinking I might try something else to keep the glass off the AC. Don't know what, yet... Of course, the heat is almost over so it quickly becomes moot.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#18 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Posted in Trip Reports.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#19 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Today marks 30 days from receipt of the camper.

We've had the camper out 3 times and here are some of my negative/critical thoughts/observations/ramblings, and a few positives, too:
  • Table post mount. Bad place: toe stubbing. Do we really need the table?
  • Curtain rods suck: flimsy plus mounts pushed holes in screen of rear door. Use Velcro mounts instead?
  • Need a factory option for Ax and shovel brackets. These are too necessary in the Southwest.
  • Porta Potti storage is inconvenient: it should slide out (ala FWC). I have a plan to "fix" this, just no time to do the work!
  • King size bed is awesome and should be a standard factory option with extra lights and--maybe--relocated safety equipment. (I don't think the smoke/co2 alarm will work well with the top down.
  • Could the king bed be done without a slide? Extending the bed farther forward above the cab? How much of a PITA would the top be to lift? Just thinking...
  • Lifting the back is easy, the front seems--while not hard--awkward.
  • The front sliding window is a waste. I don't care for it. I'd rather have flat "glass".
  • The arctic pack seems of mediocre durability. If a guy had time, he could make a better solution.
  • The 3-way fridge is OK. Lighting it can be a PITA. If the Nova Kools hold up to the vibration, I think a Nova Kool and solar would be a better way to go.
  • If I were building from a shell, I would consider an Engel fridge/freeze. There's a lot to like there. I'm thinking I'm buying a small one anyway...
  • Always get 2 powered fans. The cost is small relative to the benefit.
  • In future, I'd skip the 110v system.
  • Running water is awesome. I'm through with stupid 5 gallon cans.
  • Wouldn't it be nice if the stove and furnace were diesel?
  • I prefer the full length aisle of the Panther compared to the Hawk. Also, stove position is better in the Panther.
  • The 4" factory foam is adequate. No need to consider any alternative.
  • Ford's factory tow mirrors make this an easy drive.

All criticism is generally minor. The camper is great! It makes getting outdoors possible for us.

As an aside, we just retired the truck to full recreational/hauling duties with the purchase of a cheap commuter. We figure we'll be ahead at the end of 5 years. With the difference in cost of fuel an maintenance we should do OK. Amazingly, the Hyundai has a 60k bumper to bumper. I wish Ford had that warranty.

Attached Thumbnails

• hyundai_1.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

#20 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:26 AM

The first time I took out my 'Arctic Pack' and installed it, I noticed ATC hadn't started using Patrick's D-ring button holes, yet.

In the process of taking it down, I ripped the material along a seam. Frustrating, but it seems a little more care was needed than I mustered that day.

Since we are approaching winter, I was starting to get antsy about fixing the thing and adding the button holes. Well, my wife has a sewing machine, but doesn't really know how to use it or want to know, either...

So, I got my Arctic Pack out, set it up, marked it, and took it down.

I set up the sewing machine, practiced on some scrap, and then went on to button holes and tear repair. With much patience, everything worked out. I put some scrap behind the tear as a backing/reinforcement. I'm happy with the results.

Just some pics of me working, I'll snap some interior photos later.

• Threading the needle, AGAIN!
  • It's all under control...

Attached Thumbnails

• ap_fix_1.jpg
  • ap_fix_2.jpg

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users