Jump to content


DIY/Homebuilt Camper - Flatbed Tacoma Doublecab

diy tacoma homebuilt

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 ekibike



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:14 AM

This is how we built our side walls. We smile, we cry, we build walls. Enjoy!
  • Total Days: Seven
  • Total Time: 26 hours, 12 minutes, 20 seconds
Saturday 6/11:
We didn’t have a lot of time this weekend but we managed to cut the plywood needed to make up the interior wall on the driver’s side. Today’s challenge was angled cuts. Geometry, oh my!
For the front piece of plywood, we used the oscillating saw to finish off the corner that meets the front wall and the cab over section.
Saturday 6/18:
Today we used the wall panels we cut last weekend to cut the passenger side walls. After getting the wall panels cut, we took a pool break. Then, we began working on cutting framing pieces. No gluing or screwing today, but the components are coming together. Oh, and it rained SUPER HARD while we cut framing. We were serenaded by thunder and Bruno Mars.
Saturday 6/18:
Six and a half hours of work resulted in a near-finished driver side wall. Today we figure out how to cut angles, and nailed each the first time! One more wall and we’ll be ready to start raising the barn.
Saturday 7/11:
Lots of gluing and screwing later we finished the driver side wall we started a few weeks ago. Nosnafus or challenges to speak of. Not so fast, hot-shots! Turns out, we built things inside-out. Our entire design hinges on having the entry door on the passenger side so that we can access the camper while on the side of the road without playing in traffic. Safety first, kids. So, after a fair amount of swearing, and some time justifying how having a door on the driver’s side wouldn’t actually be that bad (even though, it would), we got to thinking. Luckily, we were able to pull off some freshly laid framing and convert the inside-out driver side wall, to the right-side-out passenger side wall we needed it to be. Presto-change-o, we’ve got a wall ready to get a door. Wrong! A few bits of framing had to come back out…
Sunday 7/12:
We woke up this morning jazzed about having fixed what seemed like a deal breaker on Saturday. Challenges? We laugh at challenges.
Today we built the driver side wall (correctly, and in one go) and finished with 4 small framing pieces left to attach before being completely done with wall framing/prep. Great end to a big work weekend!
Saturday and Sunday 7/16-7/17:
As we get ready to put things together, it has become very obvious that we need to be able to move the camper around in the garage as we work, and that it has to sit pretty close to the ground so we can get it out when it’s time to go on the truck. After poking around online during the week and thinking/talking through some ideas, we decided that we could build a rough dolly for the camper using 2 x 6s (3) and 2 x 4s (2) with six large casters on the bottom. So, we started our day by cruising the hardware stores shopping for the components.
On Sunday, we finished the attaching the 4 framing pieces from last week and then cleaned up the garage in anticipation of putting the pieces together in the coming weekends. Another great and productive weekend in the bag.
(4) 1/4″ Marine ply
(4) 1″ x 3″ x 8′
(so many) 1″ x 2″ x 8′
Liquid Nails Heavy Duty (lots)


  • 0

#12 kmcintyre


    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

Cool build.  Very nice work!  I hate it when you cut something that's not a mirror image.  Been there, done that but you recovered.  Keep posting the progress.

  • 0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, tacoma, homebuilt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users