13 replies to this topic

#1 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:25 AM

Let me know what you think...

This seems to be a very innovative system for anyone who likes to use a Dutch Oven.  

I was really impressed when I first watched the short video and said to myself "Wow, I have to get one of these,"  but I've been trying to adhere to the philosophy of LESS = MORE.

This still seems like a pretty nifty little set up and I'm curious to know what all of the experienced WTWers think of it.

Short Video: CAMP MAID DUTCH OVEN SYSTEM

Attached File  CampMaid-300x250.jpg   70.8K   72 downloads

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Yep. Not sure I wanted to see something like that. Maybe if you can buy the pieces and build up to it  - it won't seem like more stuff, just a good idea!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

If you're already doing dutch oven while camping, the "lid-lifter" (really it's much more than that) looks pretty cool. Especially folding into a 12" oven!

On the other hand, my Lodge lifter will *only* lift the lid, but there seems to be somewhere to put it whenever I've needed to.

But, after many years, I'm off the dutch oven; it's just too much time. And too much weight for something that I might use once a year when camping. I'd rather be walking around, swimming, or boating all afternoon... or just chillin'... than firing the charcoal at 3:30 so we can eat around 6, followed by major cleanup. Although, we did use it in early fall for Green Bar stew with bisquik dumplings - yum!

Just on the use of a lid as a griddle - well, of course it works, but it's a darn small griddle. I carry a coated aluminum griddle (or cast-iron), which will serve 1 to 6 people with easy cleanup. I think with the dutch oven lid 3 would be a crowd.

Along those same lines of not wanting to spend so much time cooking & cleaning any more, we've moved off pancakes to french toast (cooks fast!), and there's a new semi-cooked Oscar Mayer bacon that doesn't need refrigeration but tastes almost as good as raw bacon. Um, cooked raw bacon. On a griddle, on the stove.

On the other hand, if you really enjoy Dutch Oven cooking in camp this could be just the ticket! Somebody really did put a lot of thought into their product line. For me, I'm thinking I ought to get the Dutch Oven out at home and see what it'll do there.

Edited by Seth, 07 October 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#4 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

I agree Seth.  Dutch ovens are heavy and bulky and they detract from my overall enjoyment of being out and about and traveling light.  There are, however, a couple of trips I take annually, where we all break out the DOs, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't need the Camp Maid system any more than I need a Ronco Pocket Fisherman...

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

We bought the 10" GSI hard anodized Dutch oven http://www.gsioutdoo...dutch-oven.html

My wife wanted a larger pot for steaming veggies, food prep and the usual Dutch oven uses. Besides being much lighter than cast iron, easier to clean, there is no care to maintain a seasoned surface. We do have cast iron Dutch ovens, but haven't liked taking them in the camper for the usual reasons.

The 10" is a flat bottom and fits inside their 12" DO that has the 3 legs. Yep, there is a relatively high price compared to cast iron but it was worth it for the advantages. Only real complaint is that it can spill when carrying by the handle unless stabilized by the other hand.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hi PaulT, I've thought about an aluminum DO, but the few people I cook with are purists and they've shamed me out of even thinking about aluminum.  What the hell, I might just have to chart my own course and try one out.

#7 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hmmm... those anodized aluminum DOs *do* look great. Easier packing, lighter, not so long to bring to temp, easier & quicker cleanup...

I'd heard years ago of river packers using raw aluminum - but it's reactive with foods. Anodized aluminum is great, we've got a fair amount of such cookware. Seems a natural for a dutch oven!

My wife and I have done so much camping over the decades that we're really valuing light and fast. Our kids, though, have done a lot of campfire cooking. Maybe there will be anodized DOs under the tree some year...

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#8 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:40 PM

CampMaid has a new folding charcoal chimney coming out - designed to fold up small enough to fit inside a 12" dutch oven.

Maybe with aluminum dutch ovens and this chimney the whole DO setup gets small & light enough to use more often...

In my DO box:

Cast iron 12" DO/lid

Lid lifter

18" or so fire pan

Charcoal chimney (doubles as a place to set down the lid)

Long charcoal tongs

Big mitt

Charcoal

Newspaper

That's a lot of stuff. I think if the load were lighter I'd use it more often.

#9 Kyrazy

Kyrazy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

On the surface it seems nifty but, I'm not going to want to pack the dirty unit into my clean oven for storage. Besides the fact that it would rattle around and "scratch" my seasoned coating. I do like the kickstand. Of course, we don't haul my ovens around in the FWC. We use them in the motor home or here at the house. With the FWC, it's all about less is more.

Kyris

KR7AZY

Camping with my best friend and husband Arnie - KI6YZN

1987 Grandby perfectly suited to our '78 Chevy Bonanza 20

#10 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:10 AM

The Camp Maid Dutch Oven has been on the market for about two years. I searched the web for objective reviews, but they seem to be lacking. There are several videos about it on Youtube, but they seem to be commercials or quasi-commercials. The concept is intriguing, but I hesitate to buy one until more reviews are available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users