• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 19 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

Always been a film shooter but I just recently bought a Nikon D810. So now I'm needing to get a dedicated travel laptop for storage management, processing and running Photoshop and Lightroom. Don't want to break the bank either, so what do I need? Thanks in advance, Ron

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Can't help you with not breaking the bank, but I travel with a 15" MBP Retina and an external 1TB GDrive for storage. Runs LR and PS great and the GDrive is fast enough that it doesn't slow me down processing. When I get home I just plug the drive into my iMac and import the files into my main LR catalog.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Forgot to mention that I want to stay with Windows OS, but thanks Charlie.  Ron

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Can't help you with not breaking the bank, but I travel with a 15" MBP Retina and an external 1TB GDrive for storage. Runs LR and PS great and the GDrive is fast enough that it doesn't slow me down processing. When I get home I just plug the drive into my iMac and import the files into my main LR catalog.

Do you set up a temp catalog to save your edit info along with the photos?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

I don't set up a temp catalog but I do write the XMP files to disk.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

Forgot to mention that I want to stay with Windows OS, but thanks Charlie.  Ron

When I used to do windows I used Dells but I'm not familiar with their current lineup. I'd look there first, though.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#7 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Ditto on Dells...

If you get an account with Dell (sign up on line, I think), they will send you (email & snailmail) Specials every now and then.

I purchased my $500 Dell laptop when they let me know it was on sale for $250.

You'll probably need something more powerful than a $500 laptop for photo stuff, however, they have those go on sale every now and then, too.

#8 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yes, I'll look into Dells. Don't know how much speed and memory that I need.   Ron

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

Yes, I'll look into Dells. Don't know how much speed and memory that I need.   Ron

Kind of Apple's to oranges (pun intended) but my MBP has 16G RAM and a 2.8 GHz Core i7. An SSD makes a huge difference as well, and you'll probably want a decent graphics processor.

Mainly, though, you'll want as much RAM and as fast a hard drive as fits in your budget for running PS and LR.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#10 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

Asus also makes a good laptop.

I stay away from HP since I got screwed years back by a model (there were several) that had graphic processor problems and they knew of it. Instead of a recall they gave an extended warranty..... wasn't long enough. I work in an ET shop and we got dozens of those in from people trying to get them fixed without breaking the bank..... I was 1 month out of the "extended" warranty when mine died. They would not fix it.... We got it working but I could never trust it again......

Had 2 Dells, had problems with both but they did fix them. I would buy a Dell again.

Running a 2012 MBP which I upgraded the Ram and HD on. It works okay but not getting a new one because you can't work on them anymore.... way of the future but I am sticking to things that I can get into for now....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users