• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

I'm currently looking at this, see any problem with it?   Asus Zenbook Pro UX501vw

#12 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:25 PM

I'm currently looking at this, see any problem with it?   Asus Zenbook Pro UX501vw

I don't have any experience with the brand but the specs look good.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#13 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

That looks like the perfect computer......drat now you have me thinking of a new one....lol

I don't know that model but am guessing it's not user repairable. Should be okay. Most problems with computers happen in the 1st 30-90 days. You get through that you are probably good. I'd get it.... if I was in the market..... Truck shopping right now :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#14 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

Trucks are way more expensive!  ;)      Ron       ​

#15 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

While that looks like a fast laptap, there's a lot of extra expense for the gaming GPU that you'll never use.  For Lightroom and Photoshop a fast processor, as much RAM as you can get, and an SSD drive are the best money spent.  Gaming laptops/PCs are typically built around the GPU for refresh rates for games.

Don't be afraid of adding RAM to a Laptop, you can probably buy bigger/better RAM a lot cheaper and it's easy to install.  Just make sure of what the motherboard/BIOS can handle.

Photo editing on a 15" screen can be done (if you're young and still have good eyes).  Typically the color rendition on laptop screens is horrible and will need to be calibrated (here's another rabbit hole to jump down...).  A bigger screen is better, but then you have a bigger device to deal with, trade-offs..

I have had good luck with ASUS, and ACER and when I was doing the IT for my company would prefer them much more than Dell, Lenovo, HP etc.  They always stood up better and longer.  Any laptop can fail at anytime, or they can last forever.  Ideally you should wipe the thing clean of all the bloatware and unneeded crap they put on them these days but that can be a real chore tracking down and reloading the correct drivers.  Not recommended unless you are real comfortable with PCs.

Storage is storage, get as much as you can and as many different types (on board hard drive, external hard drive, web storage  -i,e. Dropbox, Google Drive etc.)  It too will fail at the worst time and if you haven't protected yourself, it's a pretty lousy feeling realizing you just lost everything.

JR

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#16 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:53 AM

JR , if it were you what would you purchase?  Ron

#17 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

Trucks are way more expensive!  ;)      Ron       ​

Yes but it would be a terribly small camper that would fit on a laptop :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#18 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

JR , if it were you what would you purchase?  Ron

The problem with asking me that is that I loath trying to do anything on a laptop other than using one to get by while I travel.   I am very much desktop with multi-monitor based so I'm a fish out of water when I use a laptop.  Because I live off of my desktops, I think of laptops as not quite expendable, but do have limited expectations of their lifespan and don't end up entrusting much to them that's critical (Dropbox)

The first thing to consider is screen size, if you're going to use it for photo editing, 15" is a bare minimum, 17" is better but now you have a bigger device to lug around.  If you have a dedicated place to use it at home, maybe think of getting a separate monitor for it for normal use, then travel without it.  Got to big box store and get a feel for how big and bulky they are.  The cool little hipster convertible tablets look nice and are great for web consumption, but really suck at any kind of content creation.

Another thing about most laptops, most have very lousy screen resolutions.  This is another area where a separate monitor can help, deal with the lower resolution on the screen when you travel and then have a good screen at home.

Considering you're just getting into digital photo developing, I wouldn't get too hung up with the fastest and greatest, you'll probably have to replace the laptop before you start pushing the boundaries of a good solid mid grade device. 

Something along the lines I would be thinking

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834234175

(while it started out as a Canon site, it's about all photography and camera makes.  Great resource on learning skills, software, everything related to photography.  It has members and contributors that are hacks (i.e. me) up to National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, etc pro photographers.  Over 375,000 members so there's a lot of info available.  It's also a great way to learn how to spend even more of your money on photography gear...

http://photography-o...forum/index.php

The guy who runs the site actually wrote the entire forum software from scratch.  It's got a different feel but once you get used to it, it really is pretty slick)

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#19 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

I like the price much better. Just wanting to make sure that I have something that will handle photoshop ok. I am considering getting a separate monitor for at home.  Ron

#20 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

Been doing sports and event photography semi-seriously for 5 years now (shoot for MaxPreps and a local HS network).  This Summer I picked up a Dell XPS 15 9550 refurbished as my old desktop was just too slow running Lightroom for me.  The Dell has a UHD screen and drives an external UHD monitor fine with decent dedicated video card, 16GB RAM and 512PCIe SSD.

Basically I use it as a desktop at home with monitor, keyboard, and external raid drives for storage and take it on the road when needed.

Does run a little hot when pushing my larger (28") UHD monitor so I have it on a cooling pad on my desk.  Otherwise I run it 24/7 and it holds up very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users