• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

I've used some of my recovery gear.  Almost everything can be done with a recovery strap and appropriate attachment points.

Out of the list above, some of that I would carry anyway.  For example, if I'm camping, I always carry a shovel and saw.  It's a matter of fire safety.  I always have a tool kit, regardless of traveling on road or off.  I always carry a compressor and tire repair kit and my truck was purchased with skid plates.  I put larger tires on the truck, which are heavier, but it is unsprung weight and the traction advantage can't be accomplished any other way.

I have been out a couple times when people used their winches, but it was because they wanted the practice, not because they couldn't get unstuck with a strap.

#42 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

great topic. I just bought a fwc hawk shell. only options I added were the battery cupboard, 2 agm batteries, and the jacks, which I hang in garage while camper is on truck and not the dolly. I added the "rinse kit" shower with refill kit. porta potty, buddy portable heater, a portable solar panel,and pure sine wave inverter. fantastic ez breeze portable fan, and 2 very lite removable boat seats. no fridge, just an ice cooler on my trailer. so beer is close at hand. and a dewalt portable radio. kept it clean and lite.

#43 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

I travel alone a lot so the recovery gear weight is worth it to me if only for peace of mind. I also carry a PLB in case things go really wrong.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#44 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Ronski, How about the basic principal of stop, look, backup and go another way?

Charlie, PBJ... peanut butter and jelly.     PLB....?

#45 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

PLB - personal locator beacon like this one: https://www.acrartex...s/resqlink-plb/

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#46 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

OutbacKamper, Wow, your list is a great focus aid for me.

Winch and winch plate......no

Snorkel..............................cute, but not useful with a gas engine in Colorado

Skid plate..........................Stock Jeep

Suspension Lift.................Well ya, I have a Jeep (Skyjacker 4")

Compressor......................yes, air down off road

Hi-Lift.................................probably as previously discussed

Traction mats....................another item to discuss

Shovel...............................yes, basic camping need

Ax......................................maybe not needed

Saw...................................yes, again basic camping need

Larger tires........................Well ya again, 33x12.5x15 but as you pointed out, unsprung weight

Basic tool kit......................yes of course.

So other than the winch, snorkel, and ax, I plan on carrying your list. Again, I want to be prepared for everyday occurrences

#47 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

If you spend much time in the desert I have found a snorkel to be useful in dusty environments.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#48 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:44 PM

Boonie, I agree that stucks can be avoided with some common sense, but I may have been in "the static driving mode" once or twice myself. Did I mention earlier that on my Willy's rig I also have a Honda trail 90 on the rear bumper?

I think this thread has some great info, but has drifted a bit from your initial query of how to get your camper weight at or below 775lbs. You did not say how you arrived at that number except that your CVWR was 4300lbs which means your Jeep sans camper weighs 3525lbs. Did you weigh your Jeep and what is included in that "tare weight"? If it includes passengers, larger tires, bumpers, fuel, etc., then those items can be taken out of the discussion. When I weighed my truck it was full of fuel and everything I normally carry "in the truck" and it was 3700lbs. I don't remember if I was in the truck or not but would have weighted it the same when I re-weighed it with the camper loaded for a trip as knowing the camper weight was my main objective. Again, the loaded camper was under 1,000lbs with 1.9cf 3 way fridge, forced air heater, 12 gal water, sink with electric water pump, BBQ, tankless water heater/shower and 350 Honda generator. I also had hunting gear. The only area  for me to reduce that weight is to take out the generator-17lbs or lighter camper steps, maybe another 17lbs. Unless you have reduced the weight of your Grandby shell to under well under 400lbs when it was customized to fit your Jeep, I do not think that it is possible to hit your target weight of 775lbs and still have what to need/want be it portable or built in. You may have to live with a bit higher CVWR.

cwd

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 26 September 2016 - 05:26 PM.

CWDT

#49 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Ditto on axe/shovel/small 18" folding saw...plus I carry a broken down 18" chain saw [fits in a Rubbermaid tub]....why the axe?  Cuz out here, or anywhere in woods, our winds will routinely drop the lodgepole pine [or other trees] down across the road you came in on...must chop or cut to out of the way so you can get out...or plan on staying a long time...guess you could build a fire under the tree.. :D 

Snorkels are, well, an individual call....in Sahara or were winds create dust storms and you need to drive in them or if you insist on being tail-end-charlie and eating the dust of other vehicles...well, still not convinced.  Sucking in air a few feet above the OEM air intake may or may not make any difference..I simply carry a replacement air filter...actually on my off road bikes I use an oiled UNI-Filter from OZ; carry extra clean foam elements in a zip lock and can change them if need in a few minutes.  Really not a weight issue.

Everybody has their own set of "needs" and "wants" ...since most of my adventures are solo I started carrying a PLB  [8 oz?] years ago...don't want to be tracked, only rescued if I can't self-rescue.  Just got my HAM license and in the Hawk a handheld will be part of my future kit; weather and there is a Wilderness Protocol for assistance.

I agree it is easy to over-cook all this prep...just goes back to assumption of risk and the environment you are traveling in.

Phil

#50 Ronski

Ronski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:49 PM

Ronski, How about the basic principal of stop, look, backup and go another way?

Charlie, PBJ... peanut butter and jelly. PLB....?

That's my point. It's easy to keep going because you have lockers, skid plates, crawler gears, straps, etc. Then when you get stuck, you're really stuck and way out there. Having run the Rubicon and other rowdy trails in a nicely set up landcruiser I know something about getting stuck. There aren't any good campfire stories that begin with, "I came to this steep rocky drop off in the road and I turned back."

Back on topic, ya thus stuff is way heavy. Pick and choose carefully. I'm used to the landcruiser or a pretty capable Tacoma. A Ford truck and a Hawk are in my future so I will have to recalibrate what type of terrain I'm comfy on...

Edited by Ronski, 26 September 2016 - 08:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Granby, jeep, boondocking, expedition, adventure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users