10 replies to this topic

#1 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

I’m trying to access the burner on my Dometic 2193 refrigerator  (1.9 cu ft 3-way),  but I can’t figure out how to slide the burner out from under the flanges on the bottom of the boiler tube.

I had some trouble lighting the fridge, which is probably a problem of my own making – I took the propane tank out to weigh it to see how full it was, and after I reconnected it, I forgot to purge the air out of the line by running the range.  Instead I tried lighting the fridge, which stayed lit for 10 or 15 seconds before going out. 

After this the fridge wouldn’t relight using the piezo igniter.   When I got it lit with a barbeque lighter (because I wasn’t sure if the igniter was the problem), the flame had a lot of yellow and sputtered.  I eventually got it going with a blue flame, but I can still see some carbon deposits glowing in the burner

So I figured on cleaning the burner.  I removed the wind screens and removed the screw holding the burner to the boiler tube flanges.  The burner will then drop down, but it won’t drop down far enough -  the bottom of the burner is resting on the floor of the fridge cavity, but the top of the burner is still about ¼ inch above the bottom of the three boiler tube flanges.  The only way I can see to get the burner out from under the flanges is to either raise the whole boiler tube/flue assembly, or use pliers to bend the flanges (and I expect bending metal is not the solution). 

What am I missing – how do you get the burner out from under the flanges?

Thanks in advance!

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#2 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Here's the thousand word picture of the burner under the flange....

Attached Thumbnails

• burner pic.jpg

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

I think if you search "cleaning the burner of a Dometic rv refrigerator" you will get some info.

I cleaned mine and it worked great after.

I also used the "caned"dust-off to blow any soot away,but remember let it set for a while before you lite it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:02 AM

NRV. I service mine every year. Loosen the flare nut going into the burner block and pull the line out. The jet just inside the block and looks like a little hat. Pry up on the chimney and rotate the burner block toward you and out.

cwd 

CWDT

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

Linking to a few possible resources for you and future readers of the thread---

Expedition portal thread  -- success getting an RM2193 going again

irv2 thread -- clogged jet

RM2193 manual -- see D.2.D and D.2.E (page 11) for diagrams and cleaning recommendations (to be done once or twice a year)

WTW thread (on a Norcold) ... food for thought in posts 12 (Stan's advice), 28 (thermocouple carbon), 31 (insect blockage), 32 (oil in line), and 33 (rust)

Edited by Old Crow, 10 October 2016 - 12:43 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.  I was able to get a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol through the air port next to the jet, and then blow it out with compressed air, without having to pull the burner out from under the flue.  It seems to be working okay for now.  I'm leaving on a trip today, so we'll see how it holds up, and I'll do a more complete maintenance when I get back.  

Speaking of insect blockage, that did occur to me.  Where I live (southwest Virgnia), the brown stinkbugs (an invasive species) are out in force right now and crawling into every crack in the house and cars they can find.  I had the vents of the fridge covered up, but they seem to get into just about anything anyway. It's certainly not impossible that one got into the burner.

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.  I was able to get a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol through the air port next to the jet, and then blow it out with compressed air, without having to pull the burner out from under the flue.  It seems to be working okay for now.  I'm leaving on a trip today, so we'll see how it holds up, and I'll do a more complete maintenance when I get back.  

Speaking of insect blockage, that did occur to me.  Where I live (southwest Virgnia), the brown stinkbugs (an invasive species) are out in force right now and crawling into every crack in the house and cars they can find.  I had the vents of the fridge covered up, but they seem to get into just about anything anyway. It's certainly not impossible that one got into the burner.

On my outside door and vent for the 3 way I duct taped window screen to the inside.Keeps bugs out ,haven't had any insect problems,just soot.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Stereo

Stereo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationLouisville, CO

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:09 AM

I know this post is old, but I'm guessing I'm not the only person who is benefiting from it years later.

I had the same apparent lack of clearance below the gas burner but once the gas line was disconnected (another hardship because there is not enough room to easily get a box wrench on the parts), the gas burner can be rotated out by pulling the bottom toward you while keeping the unit parallel to its installed position. You'll have to force it a bit but it will come out. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it back in.  :rolleyes:

#9 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Wow, thanks for the insight. I too have the 1.9 cu ft three-way and have never been able to get the burner out.  Next time I will be a bit more aggressive with it. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#10 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for passing on your experience.  I need to do this sometime this summer, so this is very helpful.

I had the same apparent lack of clearance below the gas burner but once the gas line was disconnected (another hardship because there is not enough room to easily get a box wrench on the parts), the gas burner can be rotated out by pulling the bottom toward you while keeping the unit parallel to its installed position. You'll have to force it a bit but it will come out. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it back in.  :rolleyes:

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users