ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Were you aired down?

Yes, both times

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#52 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Mr. 3Pin, I'm glad I went with Coopers again. Thanks for sharing!

I am haunted by waters

#53 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Four years ago, with an almost new set of the BFG all Terrains (the subject of this thread critique), we drove an extreme road down into a remote canyon in Nevada. On the steep 4x4 low crawl back up I was at the edge of traction with the BFG's.

A couple of weeks ago we again drove this road with our almost new set of Coopers. The road is now in much worse condition. Driving back out, I was very impressed with the new tires.

This was a good real world comparison of the two tires for us. The BFG's were good. The Coopers are better and I am impressed with their performance.

Wouldn't a better comparison be the KO2? It tested as having better traction than the KO and is severe-winter rated. 

Edited by Bigfoot, 24 April 2017 - 08:51 PM.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#54 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:52 PM

Yes, both times

Which Coopers?

#55 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:16 AM

information in the first post

We have put over 100,000 miles on our truck with camper. Check our blog stories, I believe you'll find a well rounded set of travels - mountains in winter, the high passes in Colorado, the legendary roads in Death Valley, and a bunch of others we keep to ourselves.

I have wanted to love these BFG tires. So much so that I ran through two sets on our truck, close to 80,000 miles. Based on this extensive experience, please allow me to offer a very personal review.

Things I liked about the tires - they did well on dirt roads.

Things I did not like about the tires - they were poor in mud, mediocre in ice and snow (we live in the snow), poor thread life (barely reached 38,000 miles each set), noisy and got noisier as they wore.  

If this tire went to school, here are the grades I'd give.

Dirt - B

Mud - D

Snow & Ice - C

Thread life - C

Quiet/Comfortable Ride - C

Overall, I give this tire a very strong C .

An idea on other tires I have used over the years - BigO Bigfoot, Bridgestone Desert Dueler, Cooper Discoverer, Toyo Open Country. My favorites from this bunch were the Cooper and Toyo.

Yesterday we put new tires on the truck and went with Cooper Discoverer ATP

Why we went with Cooper? I liked them in the past and personally spoke with people who drive on Coopers. They certainly looked like they were worth a try.

My critique of the Coopers will come after I've got 15,000 to 20,000 miles on them, if anyone has interest.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#56 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

Interesting thread, I can't resist throwing my 2 cents in since i've owned or used most the tires mentioned in this thread.  To start with the original post's tire the BFG.  I have these on my 1st Gen 4runner.

Dirt-  B+

Mud-   C

Snow/Ice-  C

Tread life-  D-

Ride  B

Overall i'd give them a C as well.  They perform well off road/rough road, do ok in the snow, but have worn incredibly fast and are starting to dry rot at an alarming rate for only being 3 years old.  Will not be buying these again.

For my first f250 diesel I bought Hankook Dynapro ATm E range based on recommendations from people I know who abuse tires on a daily basis.  I drove these tires all over the place with my grandby and never had any trouble and they preformed great.

I drove a new f250 as surveying rig in eastern wyoming for two years and I was given a blank check for new tires for it since we would be going off road everyday and also hauling heavy trailers.  I went with the Cooper S/T Maxx discovery because it was the most aggressive tire the local shop had.  It was very loud on the road.  Very disappointing in the mud and dirt, and wore faster than any tire I've ever used, but they never flatted on me.  They were replaced after 10K miles with Hankooks that out performed them in almost every way, especially durability.

I sold my original f250 to a friend and bought a f350 2 years ago.  It came with brand new Toyo open country load range E, so I was excited to try them out with the grandby.  So far the Toyo's have been a decent tire other than two flats on dirt roads which I am unhappy about. The ride and traction is similar to hankooks.  They are wearing ok, but will be due to be replaced in a year or so based on how much tread is left.  I saw my old f250 yesterday and guess what, the original hankooks are still on there and he is using the truck all the time to haul a heavy gooseneck trailer full of round bale hay for his horses.  

Noticing a theme here?  I've never run BFG AT's on a heavy truck but based on their performance on my lightweight 4runner, I probably never will.  I'll probably only ever run the Hankooks unless they take a nosedive in quality or I need a mud terrain tire.  They are not sexiest tire out there, but definitely not the most expensive either.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#57 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

Four years ago, with an almost new set of the BFG all Terrains (the subject of this thread critique), we drove an extreme road down into a remote canyon in Nevada. On the steep 4x4 low crawl back up I was at the edge of traction with the BFG's.

A couple of weeks ago we again drove this road with our almost new set of Coopers. The road is now in much worse condition. Driving back out, I was very impressed with the new tires.

This was a good real world comparison of the two tires for us. The BFG's were good. The Coopers are better and I am impressed with their performance.

I just did a tire rotation on the truck and noticed I now have 20,000 miles on the Coopers Discoverer ATP that I moved to after the two sets of BFGs.

I have used these tires now in all sorts of conditions and remain pleased and impressed. My overall grade for these are a strong B+ and if the good thread wear continue, I may move it up in the A territory.

#58 philos65

philos65

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLaramie Wyoming

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:10 PM

Tire Rack has a good comparison chart.  Here's one based on 245, 75-17, load range E

https://www.tirerack...h=true&filter=y

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4 with 80s FWC Keystone

#59 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:17 AM

Interesting info from Tire Rack.  It is a little different from my experience with KO2 but not much as I would rate them pretty high also.  I am on my second set, first set 54,000 miles and now have about 15,000 on a new set so I have about 70,000 miles in total.  To be honest I am more into performance than lasting ability but these have lasted fine for an all terrain tire.  On my Tacoma they are really quiet which I like.  I have trouble understanding how some people say they are noisy but on my truck they are really quiet -makes no sense to me but maybe the size and weight of the truck really makes a difference in tire noise.  I ski so am into the snow a lot and they do OK.  This year even went through a foot of snow for many miles breaking trail and they did OK, but not at all what I got from a dedicated, more aggressive snow tire.  I have never had a flat which is why I got them in the first place because of the added side wall protection which was not on many tires.  I do not like the traction in the rain.  They do not plane, but the wet traction is not great on my truck without camper and I deal with a lot of rain in Portland.  Gravel, dirt, a little mud, going through a few streams they have been great, but for the price they should be.  So my assessment would be:

Dirt-  B+

Mud-   C

Snow/Ice-  C

Tread life-  B

Ride  B

#60 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Resurrecting this old topic to add my two cents and query the crew about something about truck tires in general.

Our 2013 F-150 4WD came with stock tires that we promptly blew out on a dirt road on our very first trip with our FWC Hawk back in early 2016. We shredded the side wall on a rear tire up on the road out to Aguereberry Point in DV. We retreated out to a Big O store in Pahrump and had them put on two new Big Foot A/T, E-series, rear tires because we had another 3 weeks of exploration and didn't feel like doing much research. We probably should have done all four at the time because by the time we got home we decided that they worked fine so we got the other two replaced as well with the Big O's. The store manager told us they were made by Cooper and were comparable to one of Cooper's high-end all terrain tires. The mileage on the truck decreased a bit down to 14.5 mpg or so.

Three years and 40,000 miles later, just before this spring's month-long desert excursion, we decided it was time for some new rubber so based on recommendations and reviews I had read we decided to run with the BFG KO2s. We realllly like having tires that can handle the desert driving we do. Got a pretty good deal, too, but I do wish I had read this thread first.

HOWEVER, our mileage was severely impacted due to, I guess, the much more aggressive tread. It dropped by nearly 2 mpg much to our consternation with CA gasoline running around $4/gal these days, much more in some remote locations. Our range on a full gas tank dropped close to 100 miles. Bummer!

So after we run these down in a few years I seriously doubt that we will go with the KO2's again. Does anyone know if there is data available anywhere that indicates the relative mileage of various truck tires?  Because we feel that that data point is as critical as comfort, noise, and tread wear. Also could there be some other tire factor(s) that is responsible for the drop in gas mileage? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found this article about this subject with some recommended, higher mileage, A/T tires:

https://www.tireagen...our-gas-mileage

Edited by daverave, 16 May 2019 - 06:37 PM.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users