22 replies to this topic

#1 Cedar

Cedar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Location81428

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:07 AM

We just bought a used/2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport with tow package. We hope to find a used 4WC Fleet for the long bed. What do we need to do to get it ready to put the camper on it? (Besides buying a camper of course.)

We plan to go on extended camping trips - there are 2 of us and a black lab. We used to go in the topper on our old Taco but it got to be just too uncomfortable. We travel around the west from our base in Western Colorado and do go on some unpaved roads but mostly are graded and ungraded gravel when we camp. We travel FS roads which can be ugly at times but usually we don't if we don't get caught in rain or snow.

Any tips, suggestions or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:28 AM

Hi! 

I've got a 2014 Taco DCLB + 2015 Fleet and it's a great combo! 

It's me + old pug + young heeler. 

I changed out my stock tires for E-rated BF Goodrich AT T/A KO2 tire 235/85-16 and quite like them. The E-rating is much better for the extra weight, and for the rigors of off-road, rocky places, etc. 

Also got the Heavy Duty OME suspension kit, even thought FWC only recommends airbags - I do a fair amount of "what's down that road?" exploring and wanted to make sure I was good out there. (search my name and see my trip reports!) 

I have airbags, but have yet to install them. Most everyone I've talked with says it makes the ride way better, but there's some concern if you do a lot of articulated off-roading. Someone else will have to speak more to that tho. I'm a novice there. 

Bring extra turn-buckles! Put nuts on top of your current turn-buckles.

Check them every 200 miles (or so), and after extra bouncy areas. 

As for traveling with dogs... I recommend keeping a towel near the camper door and have a mat at the bottom of your steps. My heeler, Argos, is fine with me touching his feet, so it's not too difficult to wipe off his feet before he jumps into the camper. That said, he often jumps before I get a chance to wipe his feet. Be prepared for dirt in camper! :-)

I had carpeting on the floor for a while, and that's easy to shake out. But sweeping is also super easy. 

I took the rear seats out of my Taco and built a platform in back there. Argos gets half the back platform, and a footlocker gets the other half (I'd prefer slide-out drawers tho). My chairs, roll-up table, shovel, etc stow under the platform. 

Every time I go out, I find something new that is handy. This time I hung my TP with paracord and two little 3M hooks out of the way, but for easy use from the porta-potti. Check out the "low cost mods" thread here for some great ideas! 

Have fun! Post trip reports! :-D

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#3 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

I'll give my suggestions from what I've done so far.

Tires:Previously used General Grabber AT/2's and they worked fine. Two flats however and the infamous white paper regarding tall/skinny tires changed my mind. I now run Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventures in 235/85/16. You have a Sport and most likely have the 17 inch rims so your sizing will be different. These tires are Load Range E and have kevlar reinforcement. My friend and I both run the same tires and have made numerous trips off-road, mainly Death Valley, and have had no issues.

https://www.goodyear...rrain-adventure

Switched suspension from TRD OR Bilsteins to OME full front and rear. That was with my flippac. After I got the Finch I noticed my truck, when departing for trips, was already sagging from the load. After many communications with my friend Crom on Tacoma World and his help we did an installation of different Bilstein shocks/struts still using the OME coils and leafs. We also installed Wheelers bumpstops and extended brake lines. I still think I should have gone with the Timbren bumps in the rear but I won't be doing that anytime soon. My ride improved greatly both front and back but fully loaded I think the Timbren would help more than the wheelers.

Here is Croms thread for his front suspension and his main page which is full of useful information:

https://www.tacomawo...5#post-11153211

https://www.tacomawo...entures.362772/

Indeed you should get a bedmat of some sort. With the plastic bed in the Tacomas this is imperative to help prevent sliding/shifting of the camper. I've got the Toyota bedmat and it works great. I cut out sections for the metal mount brackets from FWC.

Edited by ETAV8R, 27 October 2016 - 06:07 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#4 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

I have a 2008, Nissan Frontier and travel pretty much as you described. Here's what I did to the truck:

• Added Firestone airbags. 
  • Replaced stock tires with BF Goodrich, AT KO2's (E rated).  Great tires!
  • Replaced stock shocks with Belstein shocks
  • Replaced Nissan rear bumper with a custom one that I bought and then modified (I do welding)
  • Added 4 wood blocks to the two sides of the camper so that the camper cannot shift towards one side or the other
  • Added lock nuts to the turn buckles
  • Removed the two jump seats in the cabin of the truck.
  • Replaced the jump seats with a shelve system so I can stack clothing and other gear and make those items easy to access.
  • As part of the above shelving system (made of welded steel frame), built a steel safe to lock up my cameras/computer.

It all works great and I would not change anything else at this point.  

Chris

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

You will want to research where to put the camper hold-down mounts, what to use for these, and get those in place before you go to pick up the camper.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

install zinc plated eyelets with backing plates in the corners. front pull to center, rear pull to center. fwc has the recommendations. never mount to trucks stock tie down hooks. I installed firestone airbags. even though I have hd suspension. e rated tires, and the best shocks I could find at local auto parts for now. im due for better shocks. I only camp the so cal deserts. I tow a 12 foot trailer with a utv on it. graded roads. with ruts, whoops closer to camp. but usually camp on dry lakebeds.

#7 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:13 PM

And, you'll want to get a rubber mat for the camper to sit on.

I just went to the hardware store and bought some rubber floor mat material off a roll.

It doesn't have to go all the way, side to side.

The idea is to provide some small amount "sticky-ness" to keep the camper in place.

I believe that there are few threads on the forum about what various other guys like and have used.

Using a removable plastic bed liner is not recommended.

Partiallyunrolled.jpg

Rolledcloseup.jpg

And, don't forget to also look for used ATC Campers, as well.

Or, maybe even a new one.

Marty & Jeff at ATC are great to work with and will make a new camper "just right" for you.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

+ 1 for ATC!!!

We use stall mats under our camper.   You can get it in various thicknesses and widths, about $4-5 per foot.   I use the 3/8".

I am haunted by waters

#9 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

As NTSQD mentioned, tie down locations are super important.  FWC makes and sell ones spesfically for 2nd gen tacomas.  You can also have a machine shop make them for you probably at a fraction of the cost from FWC.

On my third post I have a picture of them and a link to the hardware you might want to get the project done yourself.  

http://www.wanderthe...tacoma-project/

There are other options, but I feel the FWC bracket it a popular choice.  

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#10 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

If you spend a lot of time on dirt roads, sooner or later you'll be driving in the rain(read mud), install bigger mud flaps and cover anything on the rear of the vehicle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fleet, Tacoma TRD Sport, Preparations, New owner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users