#41 n2Jeepin

n2Jeepin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:30 AM

Oh, I rarely take apart the press part part. Just rinse it off :-)

My mom has an Aeropress (I don't) and it's got a bunch of little parts to clean.
Tho it's been a while since I messed with it, so perhaps there's an easier way.

That all said, I tend to more often use my single cup drip with a biodegradable paper filter. That's easiest! Tho I dislike making trash.
I'd rather have a reusable drip cone. That might be in my future.

I have also thought about getting a stovetop coffee maker

41169ZAI08L._SY300_.jpg

Great coffe pot!!

2016 F250 XL, Crew Cab, Power Stroke, 50 gallon transferflow replacement tank
2017 FWC Hawk Front Dinette, Silver Spur Interior, King Bed, Dual Fantastic Fans, Roof Solar

#42 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

That is a stove top Espresso Pot.   A bit messy and slow, put it does a great job of making really strong espresso coffee.  You can get the spoon to stand vertical in the cup  :P .

I am haunted by waters

#43 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

Tried them all.

Best to worst in terms of good taste, convenience, cleanup. IMHO

Melitta Filter cone. Always good, trivial to clean up
AeroPress filter press. Good if I remember to not press too hard and get grit in result
Bialetti stovetop espresso. Good, but messy and too much of pot is a thermal hazard if not alert
Folger coffee bags. Tolerable when camping, fastest, but can't choose blend
Percolator Not bad with care to not over or under percolate
Bodum French Press. Never been able to get a good, grit free cup, that doesn't get bitter before finish

It may just be that I have mastered the first two & haven't had incentive to master the rest. I'll accept that it may be user error. ;)
Any fresh hot coffee is better than none when camping.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#44 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Tried them all.

Best to worst in terms of good taste, convenience, cleanup. IMHO

Melitta Filter cone. Always good, trivial to clean up

It may just be that I have mastered the first two & haven't had incentive to master the rest. I'll accept that it may be user error. ;)
Any fresh hot coffee is better than none when camping.

Paul

So it's just the single cup "pour over" that you are using?

For the half dozen times a year i would need it, hey look like they would be worth giving it a shot for how cheap they are.

#45 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

The single cup "pour over" has become my go-to in the camper. I also tried a whole bunch of coffee-making camper experiments, and the two that lasted were my little french press and the Melitta single cup pour over. And the latter get my main use. There's virtually no clean up, not messy, doesn't take hardly any extra space....

That said (and to get kinda back on OP :D ) having an inverter would be handy when boondocking while working - have a way to charge the laptop. Otherwise, I can't think of much use for one. When I was living on the road, the few times I plugged into shore power was because it was crappy weather and my solar weren't getting charged and couldn't go outside and play.

Everything else I have can be charged via USB (phone, camera, Kindle....)

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#46 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, sorry for the detour. I carry a 150 watt inverter for the few items for which I haven't found a DC charger. But I can't see using hard won solar charged battery power for a resistance heater or microwave. If I didn't have alternatives for those house appliances, I would just bring the Honda. Running it for the short time needed to make a pot or run the microwave shouldn't be too disruptive while boondocking. ;)
Paul

#47 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

With Paul on this one. I've settled on the Melitta but it can be a bit unstable if you're clumsy like me.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#48 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

With Paul on this one. I've settled on the Melitta but it can be a bit unstable if you're clumsy like me.

I'll admit to being clumsy also. I set up the cup in the sink. The drain ring is flat and even if I blow it, the mess is in the sink. :P

Paul

#49 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:58 AM

I played with some stuff, and in the process of doing some homework I found this little guy at Cabela's 

https://youtu.be/qABKhFRHQQ4

I figured it will keep me in coffee until I decide what I am doing about an inverter 

#50 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

I found travel coffee mugs into the top of which the bottom of the melitta cone holder can rest safely and do the pour over with said mug(s) in the sink.  Then add Baileys (or even better - Buffalo Trace Coffee Cream) and you are good to go.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users