56 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

+2 on more solar power.  Sounds like your power requirements are small, but you did mention dual 6v batteries.  That usually nets you over 200AH.  How long will you be parked in one spot?  Do you park in the sun?

#12 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:18 AM

+2 on more solar power.  Sounds like your power requirements are small, but you did mention dual 6v batteries.  That usually nets you over 200AH.  How long will you be parked in one spot?  Do you park in the sun?

I seldom stay in one spot for for over a day, two at the most. I generally park in the shade, but I know that'll have to change with solar. I'm back to the drawing board on how many watts I should go. It's probably prudent to go with more since I do the majority of my camping in early spring and fall into winter when the sun is lower on the horizon. Plus, if everything's set up right I can't overcharge the batteries. What's your opinion on refers??

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

Have you seen the thread I started on solar?  - LINK  --> caution... Information overload is possible!

Consider going with a portable solar setup.  I will have both on my build.  265w on the roof, 300w portable.

Refers?  I just ordered the TruckFridge 130 for my build.  Low power usage, big, less $$ than the identical Isotherm.

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

...............................................Another Member has a Truck Fridge in their Bobcat, and finds it does a good job for them.

Do consider a chest style top loading refrigerator. Pros are less power usage - smaller space, cold air stays in the unit when the lid is open and, packed full, it has a large mass of cold stuff to keep it cold, items don't fall out if there's a problem with the door. Cons are digging through your cold stuff to find an item (pack efficiently lessens the chore).

When I first bought one of these units I measured the amp hours used. The results are here -

TF51A Test Results

It would be nice to see similar real usage data for the front opening 65L, 110L, and 130L units for comparison. My seat of the pants observation is much more energy usage as I see my friends problems keeping up with battery and solar power with thier larger front opening compressor refrigerators..

There are two ways of approaching energy use - think small and conserve or build your battery/solar system large enough to power everything you want to bring.without worry. For us the former works fine and is in line with our concept of a light and simple shelter we can take anywhere we want to drive our truck.

Good luck with your choices. All the possible options and choices can get overwhelming. Remember to take a deep breath and focus on how you see you and your family using your set up.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

I have a Dometic 40L. When I noticed that 4 gallon water bottles fit perfectly, I now use them with the tops cut off leaving the handle on to organize my cold food storage. No wasted space at all and I can easily find what I need. One for drinks, one for lunch stuff, etc. I think they are Crystal Geyser brand. A buck a piece and that was for the water, the container is a freebie. Oh, I guess I lost out on the recycle value, big whoop. 

26239998006_72b0c4c2cb_k.jpg

Edited by Bseek, 17 November 2016 - 03:40 PM.

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Brenda, that's neat creative thinking!

I am haunted by waters

#17 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

+2 on more solar power.  Sounds like your power requirements are small, but you did mention dual 6v batteries.  That usually nets you over 200AH.  How 

Have you seen the thread I started on solar?  - LINK  --> caution... Information overload is possible!

Consider going with a portable solar setup.  I will have both on my build.  265w on the roof, 300w portable.

Refers?  I just ordered the TruckFridge 130 for my build.  Low power usage, big, less $$ than the identical Isotherm.

OK - just read through your solar thread and of course all of the other topics that accompany it and am totally amazed at the amount of info you've provided. Thank you. I have read Handybobs blog and am sold on the Trimetric controller. So next question is going to be how may watt panels to start out with- 200 or 300 ? I'm going to talk to Marty and see what available space I'll have on the roof of my Panther. I might have to forego the additional roof vent over the bed - dunno. I'll also ask Marty to wire for a plug in panel if I find I need to add one. I'm reluctant to go with portable panels because of the extra storage space it'll take up - where do you plan to store yours? Will I be able to use the same controller if I add a panel later? Are you considering tilt brackets for your panels. So much to think about - think I'll go out and do a burn pile, have an adult beverage, and contemplate on all of this!

#18 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

Ronin,

There are a number of different brands of chest style refrigerators, Truck Fridge, Engel, National Luna, Dometic and others. I believe they typically have a smaller current draw, and don't spill out the cold air when opened. We have an Engel 40 qt that will go into our new Bobcat. It can function as a refrigerator or freezer, and with some creative loading, it can keep things frozen on the bottom, yet fresh towards the top. When we use it on our boat, it is strictly as a freezer. We then transfer food from it into a small cooler to satisfy the daily needs. The Engel has a relatively low current draw, and it typically is not up against an aluminum camper skin that gets hot in the sun.

Another WTW member (jkidd) recently purchased a National Luna that has separate compartments that each can be used as refer or freezer on his boat or in his camper. Expensive, but very functional. Another Member has a Truck Fridge in their Bobcat, and finds it does a good job for them.

With a different camper and a Dometic 80L refrigerator, our batteries (2 12 volt group 24 AGM Exides) were taken quite low after 3 days parked in one spot. We had a 90 watt panel and were in direct Arizona sun. I asked Marty for the larger panel because of going with a single battery. The price difference between a 100 and 150 watt panel is not great, and I don't notice any difficulty raising the top. Marty did put put 40 lb gas struts on the front of our Bobcat. It goes in the air far easier than the roof on our previous camper using 80 lb internal struts.

I guess it's a matter of preference, but I like the option of being able to use our Engel in multiple places. I also believe the chest style freezer/refrigerators are more efficient than front loader types. I am losing some precious floor space , but for me it's worth it.

Regardless of your choice, ATC will build you a top quality camper. I enjoyed working with them.

Do you find the 40 qt size adequate for say 3 days between hitting the supermarket? Would you say it's at least equivalent to a 65L front load since you have so much wasted space at the top?

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

Like Ski I also have a Truckfridge the TF45. On our 6 week trip to Alaska this past Aug/Sept, I ran the fridge for the 5 nights abord the ferry and the 100a battery was only down to just about 12v.

This type of "chest"fridge works great.

It gives you space options plus has wide temp settings.

There are so many options for a new camper get what you think you might need for your style camping.Some can be added later others can,t or at least it's harder.

Good luck.Just ask Marty/Jeff lots of questions.They are great.They built my 09 Bobcat and we have had a lot of good use out of it in the past 7 years.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

Do you find the 40 qt size adequate for say 3 days between hitting the supermarket? Would you say it's at least equivalent to a 65L front load since you have so much wasted space at the top?

Far more than 3 days when using a small ice chest for the daily needs, more like a week+. I also alternated frozen 64 oz juice bottles full of water in and out to keep the ice chest cool. This was using it as a freezer only.

I think that as a refer, results would be close. No idea if it's equvelent to a 65L front loader, but my guess is it would be more than enough for 3 days used as just a refer. You can really efficiently load a chest type refer, but you need to do it so common stuff is accessible. LIFO - last in first out...

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users