56 replies to this topic

#21 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

+2 on more solar power.  Sounds like your power requirements are small, but you did mention dual 6v batteries.  That usually nets you over 200AH.  How 

Have you seen the thread I started on solar?  - LINK  --> caution... Information overload is possible!

Consider going with a portable solar setup.  I will have both on my build.  265w on the roof, 300w portable.

Refers?  I just ordered the TruckFridge 130 for my build.  Low power usage, big, less $$ than the identical Isotherm.

OK - just read through your solar thread and of course all of the other topics that accompany it and am totally amazed at the amount of info you've provided. Thank you. I have read Handybobs blog and am sold on the Trimetric controller. So next question is going to be how may watt panels to start out with- 200 or 300 ? I'm going to talk to Marty and see what available space I'll have on the roof of my Panther. I might have to forego the additional roof vent over the bed - dunno. I'll also ask Marty to wire for a plug in panel if I find I need to add one. I'm reluctant to go with portable panels because of the extra storage space it'll take up - where do you plan to store yours? Will I be able to use the same controller if I add a panel later? Are you considering tilt brackets for your panels. So much to think about - think I'll go out and do a burn pile, have an adult beverage, and contemplate on all of this!

you must read fast.  I'm impressed.  

I plan on storing my portables under the camper overhang.  

If you are using the trimetric, yes, you can use the same controller for both arrays.  

I am considering the tilt function.  I can always add that later if needed.

Ask more questions!

#22 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

you must read fast.  I'm impressed.  

I plan on storing my portables under the camper overhang.  

If you are using the trimetric, yes, you can use the same controller for both arrays.  

I am considering the tilt function.  I can always add that later if needed.

Ask more questions!

Reading it and understanding it are 2 different things! My eye balls were spinning in opposite directions. At this rate I may not order my new ATC for another 2 months! Appreciate everyone's feedback. One thing on a Panther is I have a 2014 Tundra so the floor - ceiling height will be 3" higher. This gives me more headroom but I think Marty said the overhang will be that much closer to the top of the cab so underneath storage is out. I could be mistaken about that though. I have thought of adding storage under my Hawk for solar panels but after considering all of the upgrades I'd like to do I decided I'm better off buying a new ATC.

Edited by Ronin, 17 November 2016 - 08:14 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#23 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

PANTHER ORDERED!!!

I placed the order for the ATC Panther yesterday with Marty.  He was a great help and a pleasure to work with.  It looks like they have been getting slammed with order so my delivery date should be late May or early June.

I was debating on when to place the order since we didn’t want to make the trip out to Sacramento until after ski season.  It’s a good thing I called to check though.

So, the big wait begins.  And we are looking forward to a camping trip in California in the spring.

Here is the configuration I ordered...

Panther: Full Size - Short Bed 6.5'

Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible

Furnace

Electric Water Pump

Additional Roof Vent

Mechanical Jacks With Brackets- Set of 4

Auxiliary Battery System

Awning Light – Passenger Side Only

Clear Slider for Screen Door

LED Flood Lights

Slide Out for Extended Bed

110 Volt System

Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4)

Yakima Tracks: Full length

Customizations:

no stove

no ice box

add closet with single shelf in place of ice box left rear

add rear corner passenger side tall cabinet like in a Cougar (make bench shorter to accommodate)

BTW - I told Marty the new interior looks good to us. Here are the samples he sent.

new%20color%20walls%20010-L.jpg

004-L.jpg

002-L.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 16 December 2016 - 07:41 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#24 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

Here are some pictures I pirated of the customizations I've requested.

Right rear (passenger side) tall closet - 

phpQ1KWPZPM.jpg

6002168019_0ce6565374_o-M.jpg

I realize that the fold out bed will be short but we never really used the one in the FWC Ranger for sleeping.  And we think we prefer the bench to the side dinette for our use.  We hope to fit the Yeti under the front window and can use that for seating as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the idea for the closet in place of the ice box - 

Except that I requested a single shelf so that it can handle bulky items (cloths, sleeping bags)

FWC-2.jpg

pantry-L.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 16 December 2016 - 07:55 PM.

~Jim

#25 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations!   You're going to have a great camper!

I am haunted by waters

#26 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

Wow that's a long build wait.

It's nice to see Marty getting a lot of business.

Waiting 6 months that's going to be hard but worth it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#27 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:47 AM

Hi jimjxsn
Congrats on y'all's panther order. Excited for you. Do you have your first shake down camping location figured out? I like the idea of the single shelf cabinet in place of the ice box.

Russ

ps Why clear slider for the rear door?

Edited by CougarCouple, 17 December 2016 - 02:57 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#28 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:13 AM

PANTHER ORDERED!!!

I placed the order for the ATC Panther yesterday with Marty.  He was a great help and a pleasure to work with.  It looks like they have been getting slammed with order so my delivery date should be late May or early June.

I was debating on when to place the order since we didn’t want to make the trip out to Sacramento until after ski season.  It’s a good thing I called to check though.

So, the big wait begins.  And we are looking forward to a camping trip in California in the spring.

Here is the configuration I ordered...

Panther: Full Size - Short Bed 6.5'
Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible
Furnace
Electric Water Pump
Additional Roof Vent
Mechanical Jacks With Brackets- Set of 4
Auxiliary Battery System
Awning Light – Passenger Side Only
Clear Slider for Screen Door
LED Flood Lights
Slide Out for Extended Bed
110 Volt System
Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4)
Yakima Tracks: Full length

Customizations:
no stove
no ice box
add closet with single shelf in place of ice box left rear
add rear corner passenger side tall cabinet like in a Cougar (make bench shorter to accommodate)

BTW - I told Marty the new interior looks good to us. Here are the samples he sent.

new%20color%20walls%20010-L.jpg

004-L.jpg

002-L.jpg

Congrats all around, thanks for the pictures, helps me visualize my thoughts.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#29 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:06 AM

That is going to be one sweet camper. Congrats! One cool thing is you'll be able to make changes right up to when Marty actually starts the build, so keep researching all of the possibilities.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#30 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:52 AM

Hi jimjxsn
Congrats on y'all's panther order. Excited for you. Do you have your first shake down camping location figured out? I like the idea of the single shelf cabinet in place of the ice box.

Russ

ps Why clear slider for the rear door?

Hi Russ,

I replaced the slider with a clear one on our Ranger.  When it slides over in front of the door window it doesn't block the light quite as bad as the solid colored one, you can actually see through it.

You know, we had the FWC Ranger for 10 years and eventually got away from using the 3way fridge, we ended up just using it for dry storage.  I always thought that so much of that space was wasted in that huge cabinet.  And the one thing I always thought was that there really wasn't much space for clothing.  We had a pull behind trailer previously and the prior owner of that camper had done a closet up with big shelves for cloths.  I always liked that feature.

I wanted to wait until spring to pick up the camper so we could enjoy California when we go to pickup the camper.  I don't know yet, what direction we'll head.  We'll be heading to Sacramento through Reno, I expect.  We've camped out from San Diego to San Francisco along the coast but haven't really seen much else in California.

Maybe Yosemite then, south through Death Valley and take the south route back to Colorado.

Maybe over to the north coastal area above San Francisco.

There are lots of places in that part of the country we haven't seen so we are excited for the road trip.

Jim

Edited by jimjxsn, 18 December 2016 - 03:21 AM.

~Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users