#1 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

Hi all,

new owner of 1995 10' cabover Alaskan in excellent condition. Read the OEM manual for winterizing the water system and have a few questions since its very vague.

1. has anyone used an air pressure adapter to the outside city water connector to blow out the lines and if so what PSI is recommended?

2. I drained the tank using the rear petcock as much as I could and after running the right faucet with the electric pump on for a minute or two to remove any remaining water in the tank, I was concerned about running that pump impeller dry so I stopped when it was spitting just some water and air. Is this a matter of concern?

3. The manual says to use an RV antifreeze but they are all not the same. Some manufacturers use recycled materials of propylene glycol and who knows what from aircraft de-icing at airports. When I find "virgin" RV antifreeze like Dowfrost, do I need to run that through my lines still and pump or just put in the tank with about 1/4" of water that still remains and pour some in my P-traps? What is the recommended procedure?

thanks for the help

IMG_2099.JPG

Edited by flyboykev, 21 November 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

Go to an RV store like Camping World and by RV antifreeze (pink). They have the safe stuff and it is good down to -50.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

yes on the air...5-10# works.....

and the RV anti freeze works as well...

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#4 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

thanks for the advice folks.

#5 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:00 AM

In Seattle, I went to fisheries supply and got a jug of propylene glycol non-toxic Ethanol free RV Antifreeze for $5. FYI

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

In Seattle, I went to fisheries supply and got a jug of propylene glycol non-toxic Ethanol free RV Antifreeze for $5. FYI

being a "frugal" type...that's some good information.... ;)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#7 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Update:
Opened all my faucets and drains and removed water tank top plug.
Used a small air compressor to blow 20psi air via each faucet to clear out the lines while changing the position of the diverter valve. I could hear movement of water or air going back into the tank.
I poured a cup of RV antifreeze into each drain.
Installed a small fan heater on the floor and will open all the cabinet doors where there are water lines.
I have decided against pouring the RV antifreeze into my water tank and circulating that pink propelyene glycol through my pump and lines for even if it's non-toxic, I don't want that in my drinking system to try and flush later.
Snow in Seattle is coming tonight.

#8 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

I'll give my sister a call...just finished moving her to Sequim....her first snow up there

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freeze protection, winter, water, de-winterizing, RV Antifreeze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users