C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:13 PM

Keep planning ,Rob.

That's half the fun.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#22 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:21 PM

Well we are committed...I put it on the card...Bellingham to Whittier (yikes $3372.00 which I don't have yet but hope to sell a few pieces of furniture before I leave).... It is set in stone. A bit scary... Gotta get to Washington. My biggest concern is leaving the east coast as I am the youngest in the family and in charge of my mother (90). Other sibs are distant) ...hoping that all arranged can work. Just gotta hope so. I suppose there is always a sword of Damocles of some degree hanging over a long trip away. Hell, the house and such could burn and that's okay...but family folk is always a worry. 

Well to get there I have a lot more work to do to the camper (fridge install and sand mats' rack made and installed under the cab over).

Would love to hear from any one who can tell me their first hand experience if I should drive the Cassiar down from Watson Lake or go down 97 from Watson Lake to Dawson (We are eventually going to Jasper Alberta but want to see the best... quieter and scenic...less the tourist route. More hikes and boondocking.  Soooo much to learn.

Edited by buckland, 21 December 2016 - 12:25 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

First off the Cassiar is a beautiful drive.450 miles of some of the best scenery.

Lots of places to stop and see/camp.

Also as a bonus it's 150 miles shorter,Watson Lk to Pr. George.

Yeah that ferry cost kinda hits you but you will enjoy it.

Our ferry trip came to $3800,but we had a 4 person cabin.

What cabin did you get?

Keep planning.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

Thanks Frank... it is a bit exciting... We can still handle sleeping bags and a bathroom in the hallway...so we got the cheapest room-let that had a window (always nice to know if one is still afloat)... $40 more than an inside room-let.  It has a top bunk and a lower table -shelf bed setup... is okay ...I just like the closed door with the separation from the masses. (I live a secluded life and crowds get me wound up). I am the chief organizer and planner as my wife is still a second grade teacher and will work up until the last day.

Hope for the best ...plan for the worst

Edited by buckland, 21 December 2016 - 12:57 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#25 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:01 AM

We also like the idea of the "door".

We have done ferry trips that were just one night so sleeping above deck in the solarium worked out great.

Was fun with our daughters on 2 of the trips.

But now is different.

Yes to the window.The rooms are really a bargain.

Frank

#26 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

Buckland have you read the reports about the rear door window getting broken on the Alaska roads? I asked another friend about it after reading another trip blog where the window was broken.

Seems its fairly common.
I wonder if a local glass / tint shop could do a small piece of 3M security film on the glass to avoid the risk of a broken one and dealing with terrible road grim in the camper.

#27 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

I sure have... 2 Bobs... That kind of event is a major bummer... strangely enough... I had the window shattered back in 2012. It was not caused by a flying rock though. It is smart to carry duct take and some heavy plastic. I was thinking of a preventative solution ... but it might be too much trouble... if I have a brainstorm I'll post it up. I am still convinced it was his trailer that ricocheted the stone.   

Henry David Thoreau

#28 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

May be a good idea to cut out a piece of 1/4" Birch plywood to replace the window with and just keep it stored under the mattress.  Ron

#29 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:35 PM

Making a plywood window replacement/protector ahead of time with a means to easily mount it might be a good item to carry on an Alaskan trip. Mount as a protector when on the problem roads or use to replace a broken window.

Or just replace the glass with a polycarbonate substitute & call it good. https://www.intersta...161221112900-3p

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#30 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

Subscribed.
As onother East Coaster (and former Granite Stater) I'm interested in your route planning as we will be going in'18 and are planning on taking the ferry as well.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users