22 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC

JohnC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:51 AM

Hello. I am brand new to the site (Post #1).  My wife and I are planning to purchase a truck and FWC in 2017.  We would like some help, though. 

We like the “feel” and smaller size of the Tacoma/Fleet combo, but, from what I can tell, the Tacoma is overloaded with a Fleet, gear, and us.  The maximum wet weight is likely to add up to about 1,700 lbs.  Add in 2 adults + 1 dog and the total payload is 2,000 lbs.  The rated payload on the Tacoma is a measly 1,155 lbs.  That is a whopping 850 lbs over capacity as you are bumping down Forest Service roads looking for a campsite.  Yet, I see more pictures on the web of the Tacoma/Fleet combo that anything else.  FWC certainly has no problem selling and putting the 1-ton Fleet+stuff on a ½-ton truck. 

What gives?  How is this ½-ton truck/1-ton camper combo possible?  And safe?  Why are people happy with this pairing?  Please forgive my ignorance, neither my wife nor I have ever owned a truck and we are nearly 60 and 58.

Why would I not want to put a Hawk on a Ford F150  with a V-8 and a rated payload of 2,200 lbs?  The larger size of the truck is not exactly attractive to us, but we would put up with it, and get used to it, if it made sense. 

I appreciate you sharing your experience and thoughts with us.  

#2 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

I don't really see the Tacoma as that much smaller than a Ford 150 anymore. Check the dimensions

cwd.

CWDT

#3 Lineman

Lineman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:06 PM

I would recommend getting inside both the fleet and the hawk. I thought I wanted a fleet until I got into one right after a hawk. Get the camper you want and then get a truck for it. I sold my Tacoma and bought a full size. We also find the full size more comfortable to ride in.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

HI John, welcome to WTW :) !

With two adults and a dog, I believe you're going to find a Fleet pretty tight. If the pup has any size, make that really tight. If it were me, I'd be looking at a larger camper and the F150. We have two campers, a Northern Lite on a F350, and an ATC Bobcat on a Ford Ranger. From experience, I can tell you even the Northern Lite becomes cramped with two adults and a large dog (we now have 2 large dogs), and the Bobcat, which is Fleet sized, is cramped with just me and a pup. By the way, have you looked at ATC? If you want to customize your camper, they are very willing to do so.

I am haunted by waters

#5 JohnC

JohnC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs- Thank you, but I am most concerned about payload capacity.  The difference between the two as listed by Ford and Toyota websites is 2,200 lbs - 1155 lbs = 1,045 lbs.  The Ford more than twice the rated payload of the Tacoma. 

Lineman and Wandering Sagebrush - This is exactly the experience I was hoping would be shared.  Thank you.  I am fine with the larger truck, but now I just need to convince my wife that, with time, she will get used to driving something larger than our Subaru wagon.

Do you believe that it is essential or smart to upgrade the suspension system that comes stock on the Ford 150?  If so, what might that be?

#6 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hey John,

I went through the exact same predicament early this year.  The decision maker for me ended up being the size of the Tacoma (I'm 6'5") not the size of the camper.  What I later learned is my wife and I would have had to sleep North-South in a Fleet, while we're able to sleep East-West in our Raven.  This frees up space, and makes setup easier (not that it's very difficult in the first place).

Most people end up beefing up the Tacoma suspension/tires etc making it perfectly safe.  The stock power is probably something to be desired, but that's really up to you and how you drive.

We ended up with a Tundra CM/Raven combo and are really happy with it.  The MPG is probably 2-3 worse than a modded Tacoma, but at the end of the day I think the space/power are pretty nice.

Hope that helps!

Riley

#7 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

I would agree with the advice to spend some time hanging out in the different models and configurations. We started out wanting a Fleet on a Taco until we spent a few hours (literally) over several visits sitting in, moving around in, visualizing how we would use the camper as well as store our gear. In the end we purchased a Hawk Flatbed and put it on a RAM 2500 Cummins. Never been happier! 

Dean

@veryactivelife

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

Do you believe that it is essential or smart to upgrade the suspension system that comes stock on the Ford 150?  If so, what might that be?

Yes John, I would immediately upgrade that F150 to a 3/4 ton truck.

Why spend money on upgrading a 1/2 ton? Load range E tires, air bags, different spring packs, sway bars, etc., etc. I see this over and over on this forum and I understand it if one already owns a 1/2 ton truck, but you're starting with a clean slate. The exterior size is about the same between a 1/2 and a 3/4 (GM and Ram) and the 3/4 ton comes equipped to do the job....I like having an excess of 600 pounds of payload capacity instead of being at or over.

I understand that GM and Ford build "heavy 1/2 tons" but they are rare on the lots and usually provide little cost savings. I think a great topic on this forum would be: "Have you ever regretted getting a 3/4 ton truck for your camper?" Not me.....and I don't recall ever hearing of anyone having regrets.  

Congratulations on doing your homework. 

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

John, You don't need a 3/4 or 1 ton, but I sure like mine. My Ranger/Bobcat is what I consider to be my mobile man cave for photo and fishing trips when The Bride wouldn't want to come with me. I guess it comes down to where you want to go and what you want to do. Going back to your question, at minimum, I would put airbags on a 1/2 ton. Maybe even add springs if the camper was a permanent install.

Take your wife with you and test drive some of the trucks you're considering, including 3/4 and 1 tons. I think you'll be surprised how easy they are to drive. Their comfort might be a game changer for her existing beliefs. The one thing I would say is a full size, long bed, crew cab truck is very, very long. If you're going into tight places, a shorter truck would prove to be easier to maneuver.

I am haunted by waters

#10 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

If you are careful with options and packages, the price difference between 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton isn't much.  12 years ago when I bought my new F250, I was debating this too ( I didn't have a camper then but I new I eventually would want one when my kids were grown up).  The salesman said to buy the most truck you could afford, and I have no regrets.  My F250 carries the camper full-time, and effortlessly.  It has the slide in camper package so the extra thick sway bars and heavier springs probably help.  Good Luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, Ford F150, FWC, Fleet, Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users