66 replies to this topic

#1 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:06 PM

What will my "camper" be?

First let me say what it will not be. It will not be the Starship Enterprise on a five year mission to boldly go where no man has gone before. Nor will it be an Earthroamer with "unmatched luxury and convenience without sacrificing any of the comforts of home". I do agree with Bill Swales founder of Earthroamer that I want "to travel and camp in comfort far away from cluttered RV parks and campgrounds."

Every vehicle is a compromise, but designed to best perform its intended task. I cannot see my camper as an "expedition" vehicle, or an "overlanding" vehicle, or even as an "adventure" vehicle. It will be, well, a boondocking camper designed to allow my to "wander the west." I will have accommodation to lounge, cook, and sleep inside. After 40 years of camping, I no longer desire to put away wet gear only to get to the next night and set up wet gear or to weather an afternoon thunder storm huddled under a tarp.

I want my camper to be lightweight. (It is much easier to recover a 4,300 pound vehicle that a 15,000 pound one.) Simple (Less to go wrong.) And reliable. I think I can use the 80/20 rule and achieve 80% capabilities of an Earthroamer ($425,170 base) at 20% of the cost (Maybe 2%!)

So after studying what is available at what price, I found what I wanted in the Thaler ActionCamper, but I cannot afford either the base vehicle ($30,000+) nor the price of the camper ($36,000) so after careful measurements I will be making my own version of the ActionCamper by mounting a modified 1981 FWC Grandby on a modified 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Let the build begin.

Attached Thumbnails

• JeepWranglerMoabCamper2013Rigged_4_jpgde4e2f24-bf98-4e80-b821-a26cc34fa11fLarge.jpg

Edited by Boonie, 04 December 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#2 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:44 AM

Sounds lke a great project. I'm looking forward to following your build.
Good luck and post lots of pictures.
2007 FWC Hawk

#3 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the interest EDR, I think like most people one picture is worth..... a few words anyway.

Having tried to post my first build picture I found out that the pictures from my camera creates a file that is too large to download, so my assignment tonight is to read the website tips on how to resize the file. I hope to have the first pictures up later tonight.

#4 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:27 AM

As I was saying: "mount a modified 1981 FWC Grandby on a modified 1991 Jeep YJ."

(First attempt at pictures. Figured out how as an attachment, but still haven't figured out how to include a picture as part of the post.???)

Attached Thumbnails

• jwc.jpg

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,573 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

As I was saying: "mount a modified 1981 FWC Grandby on a modified 1991 Jeep YJ."

(First attempt at pictures. Figured out how as an attachment, but still haven't figured out how to include a picture as part of the post.???)

This might help with embedding photos...

http://www.wanderthe...ry/#entry156534

I am haunted by waters

#6 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:54 AM

Thanks, Sagebrush. It could be my computer but when I paste the copied address to the URL box and click "OK" it does nothing, click "cancel" it does nothing, click "X" to close the box, it goes to an "Options have changed. Are you sure you want to close" and from there I am in a dead end loop forcing me to close everything. What did DD say in the beginning "We are not going to the moon here guys". Sorry DD, but if I were involved we would not make it to Cleveland.

Edited by Boonie, 04 December 2016 - 03:27 AM.

#7 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:26 AM

Sagebrush, Here we go again on another computer! Now I need to figure out how to size it!gallery_6696_1091_82023.jpg

#8 poncho62

poncho62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Me like....following thread

#9 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Looks like a good project, should keep you busy for a while. Do you think front to rear weight distribution will be an issue? Beefing up the rear suspension won't help to put weight back on the front axle which could have traction issues off road.

#10 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:25 AM

Beach, Great question.

By looking at the picture, the seats are in the middle of the wheelbase, so I am assuming that the axles, frame, and body are for the most part balanced front to rear. The engine, transmission, battery and radiator are the extra weight (838 lbs) on the front axle while the only extra weight on the rear is the gas tank (15 gal=127.5 lbs). adding the camper weight (assumed) 650 lbs, water, propane, porta-potti, food, clothes, etc., estimated at 400 lbs., the extra weight on the rear is estimated to be 1177 lbs.

I will be working on the placement of the camper utilities to keep them low and on top or forward of the rear axle. Obviously there will be some weight aft of the rear axle that actually adds more to the rear axle and takes weight off the front axle. All that said the math says I am looking at an almost ideal weight distribution of 60% rear and 40% front. My fingers are crossed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Grandby, Jeep, Project, New build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users