66 replies to this topic

#31 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:31 AM

Here goes some "Blah-Blah-Blah".

Yesterday, I ordered the storage door for the outside storage compartment accessing the Weber grill. The door will be mounted with the hinge down and with cables so that when the door is opened to the 90* position it will form a shelf for a portable propane stove to allow outdoor cooking.gallery_6696_1091_4058.jpg

While searching Pinterest, I found this picture that will give you (and me) an idea of how the rear overhang will be constructed.

gallery_6696_1091_30078.jpg

Today, I mocked-up the forward edge of the camper so that it follows the line on the Jeep window. This is similar to what FWC did with the Blazer and Bronco campers.gallery_6696_1091_87068.jpg

Finally, I purchased the 1X1 and 1X2 aluminum I will need to turn the mock-up into reality. Next I will be cutting and placing the necessary pieces into position in preparation for taking the frame to the welder.

Edited by Boonie, 16 December 2016 - 12:37 AM.

#32 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

Excellent! Pretty exciting build, really thoughtful component placement and mockup. Grandby on a jeep, woo hoo!

You might think about covering the jeep build in the truck forum, check out the "Moon Truck" build.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#33 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thanks wuck, comments like yours are encouraging not only to continue with the build, but to continue to post.

I started a new thread to try to figure out  "Ideas for lightweight cab over bed board". Since my overhang is 11" longer than original I am concerned about any unsupported extra weight. I'll post here what I figure out on that thread.

#34 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

I've been thinking about your bedboard thread, but the "telescoping" is the hard part. Maybe I'll have an "ah ha!" experience yet, but haven't come up with it. There's probably a few more of us chewing on it!

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#35 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Wuck,

As I stated on the bed board thread, I have as yet figured that part out without adding a support either to the cab or by adding struts to the cowl. The struts could be done by incorporating a light bar above the windshield directly in front of the overhead.

The storage compartment door arrived today, so I can get the final dimensions and cut the frame work to mount it. With the recent cold weather in Colorado not much else happening.

Edited by Boonie, 21 December 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#36 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

So I have figured out that I will be using a light bar to support the cab over bed board.gallery_6696_1091_57141.jpg

The light bar section will attach to the camper similar to the roof rack portion of the pictured Gobi model. This design will also provide low level branch protection to the leading edge of the camper.

Edited by Boonie, 29 December 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#37 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

Weather in Colorado has prevented me from doing much, but I did complete the mock-up of the back end. As you may recall I want to keep the departure angle at around 45* so I will be clipping the back of the camper. For those of you that love pictures...gallery_6696_1091_111466.jpg

gallery_6696_1091_28241.jpg

Form another thread I have decided to keep the absorption refrigerator rather than changing to a compressor refrigerator.

And also from another thread I have determined that my 100w Renogy portable/suitcase solar unit (tilted and tracking the sun) will recharge my batteries (single house battery, single starting) as well as a 160w fixed roof mounted solar panel although I may add a 100w Go-Power flexible panel for convenience.

Edited by Boonie, 20 January 2017 - 12:42 AM.

#38 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Your rig is gonna be trick! Are you using alum sheet for mock-up areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#39 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

Plan currently is for sheet aluminum for the camper siding and diamond plate for the angled overhang "mock-up" area.

#40 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:32 AM

So what have I been up to for the last couple of weeks? I guess you can say fishing craigslist. Look what I caught for FREE.gallery_6696_1091_124892.jpg

gallery_6696_1091_53351.jpg

Front latches came loose at 50mph and peeled back the top. Owner did not have the time or interest to replace the top and "wanted his truck back", so he was gaving it away. I saw the ad within 20 minutes of the posting and sealed the deal. Lucky me!

My '81 Grandby was 12v only with no provision for 120v, so the absorption frig was a 2-way,12v/LPG. To make an absorption frig more efficient (see my other thread) it should be cooled down before leaving home, of course 120v is more practical. The salvage camper is a '96 Palomino with 12v/120v and the frig is a 3-way, so I will be switching out the refrigerators. It has a 120v/12v power center with a 750w inverter as well as a "square" water tank, small water pump (1/2gpm?) and a faucet with a push button to operate the pump. Again I antictpate using these and replacing the hand pump faucet.

I then sold the camper (less the above) for $375. The camper also came with jacks (buyer did not want) which I hope to sell for $125. I can now start shopping for a 160w flexible solar panel for the roof of my build or maybe a TriMetric 2030, or 7620 Ml-ACR

If I'm lucky I may get them all for $500....Oh, wait a minute I got this camper for FREE. So how about  the Trimetric, the ACR and 160w solar panel for FREE!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Grandby, Jeep, Project, New build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users