• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:40 AM

Hey Boonie, what a score! Boy I'd say you're ending up doing many of the same things I did on my build. But, dude, you got your salvage camper for free, unreal! I paid $275 for my salvage camper, got what I needed out of it, and then sold the 3-way fridge, camper jacks, and stovetop, so I recovered my original cost, but you're doing yourself a big favor. And funny thing, same story, the Wyoming wind lifted the top off of the one I acquired as well. That can't be very fun to have happen, on a trip to or from, your camping destination.

I really chuckle, about your posts, because I think the same. These rebuilds are a real journey. You're always thinking ahead of next steps, and keeping an eye out for the things you'll be needing. Craigslist has been awesome for me, and I always enjoy meeting so many different people in the process. So many stories you here.

Anyhow, keep up the good work!

Poky

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Edited by PokyBro, 07 February 2017 - 03:47 AM.

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#42 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:26 AM

Poky, Shellback, Wuck, Dreamer (Living the Dream) and anyone else who may have followed my build in the past.

I am alive and well, however, the build has gone nowhere for almost two years now. My class C motorhome has been sold and I now have a 37' DP class A. Not exactly the boondocker my Jeep/FWC is designed to be, but as we have been doing some long term travel it sure is a lot more practical.

I finally found a pair of aluminum truck side load tool boxes that I could afford and which is getting me excited to get back to the build. ( I hope that sparked a question of: " what is he going to do with those?") Standby, give me a little time and I will post a update.

I also will be spending time reviewing each of your threads to get caught up. 

Boonie

#43 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:12 AM

Boonie,

Welcome back! I’ve wondered more than once how you’re doing and what happened with your build. Can’t believe it’s been nearly two years.

Anyhow good luck as you dive back in, and remember to share some photos. Keep the dream alive buddy!

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#44 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Great to hear from you Boonie. Not finishing a project, I don't know anything about that. As my electrical components yet to be installed for 1+ year scream from a dusty corner of the shop :) 

Glad to hear you are motivated again! 

Thinking of organizing a Colorado meet up this summer. You better get your act together, I'm not sure there will be parking for A classes :)

Looking forward to seeing what you put together. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#45 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:15 PM

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself out on the road! I'm kinda at the opposite end of the spectrum. I completed my build and not getting much use out of it. My wife has MS and it can be very trying for her. Just spent 5 days in the hospital, and now is in rehab. Hoping they can get her back in shape so we can hit the road a little more this year. 

#46 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

This is excellent!! 

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#47 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 03:36 AM

In the last post (Jan 2019) I mentioned I purchased a pair of aluminum truck side load tool boxes, After spending the winter in my class A motorhome in Texas, I am now back in Colorado, so I finally got around to installing the right side. I thought you might like to see a picture of how I installed it since this is not a usual FWC rebuild,

DSCN0176resize.JPG DSCN0172resize.JPG DSCN0170resize.JPG

Since my intended use is off the beaten path boondocking, having outside storage is a must to avoid packing and unpacking, lugging stuff in and out of the inside.

Now on to the left side which will be more complicated because of the refrigerator. I hope it will not take another year before that happens.

Boonie

#48 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 09 March 2020 - 12:49 PM

NIce, that outside storage looks perfect for my waders, boots, vest and 4 piece fly rod. Keep these posts coming.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#49 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:33 AM

Well to get to the left side to work on that tool box, the frame for the top was in the way, so when I pulled it out I decided to narrow it while I had it out. In a previous post I mentioned that the camper was narrowed 11" to 69"wide. I believe that is the width of the Hawk model, anyway that is what works on my Jeep.

DSCN0187resize.JPG DSCN0188resize.JPG

To keep the original strength, I cut out 5.5" from each side. At the front I staggered the cuts again to keep the original strength. (Shown before welding)

Now that that is done, I can get to the left side where I will have to cut down the tool box to allow room for the refrigerator. Stand by....

Boonie

#50 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:06 AM

OK, got the refrigerator set, so the final size for the left side tool box has been established, 34", so I need to cut down the 48" tool box by 15".

DSCN0210resize.JPG

With that set I can now continue with the mock up of the inside. Sink and portable stove with quick disconnect, so it can be used outside also, join the Porti-potti on the right-side. Not pictured is a 5 gal fresh water jerry can that tucks perfectly between the front end of the right-side cabinet and the jeep roll bar and a 5 gal grey water jerry can that will go beneath the sink.

DSCN0206resize.JPG DSCN0203resize.JPG DSCN0202resize.JPG

Other major items have been located. 11 lb. propane tank will be in the left side tool box. 10 gal water tank will be behind the drivers seat partially in the previous foot well (4") and partially below the floor board (3 1/2") The water fill and water pump will be located in the left side fender well box. To balance the weight of the water, the house batteries will be located in the right side fender well box. Which means the 1000w inverter will be located in the toe kick area of the right side cabinet.

I'm still looking for the best place to mount the 120v/12v converter, the solar controller and the Trimetric. Oh, and the outdoor shower.

Boonie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Grandby, Jeep, Project, New build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users