• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 MrCrash

MrCrash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, no doubt there would need to be significant reinforcement or a helicoil or other means to ensure the threading would be adequate. But as far as the concept goes...bolting directly into the bed seems cleaner, right? Is anyone out there already doing it this way? Otherwise it seems like a two person job to tighten the bolt and nuts, right?

#22 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Me Crash
Aluminum threads with a steel bolt might not work well. I know the fabricator has measurements could he possibly make a pocket for a lg chunk of steel to reside in. Might even allow for a little wiggle room, during installation of FWC
Just a thought.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#23 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Do you intend to regularly remove the camper from the tray?   If not, I wouldn't sweat it as it would be a bunch of extra figuring for minimal benefit.  If you do plan on removing it regularly, some sort of alignment pin/bolt system to get the holes to line up is likely the most important consideration.  

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#24 MrCrash

MrCrash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

Yes, I do plan to remove the camper a several times a year. I recognize the flatbed FWC is not going to be as quick an easy as my slide-in camper with Torklift Fastguns has been. But yeah, a couple times a year I'll need my truck to be, a truck. Be nice to not have to recruit The Wife each time. 

#25 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:49 AM

Otherwise it seems like a two person job to tighten the bolt and nuts, right?

Yes it is. The only good thing is after a year I got down underneath our Hawk Flatbed with a cordless impact wrench and the wife up above with a box end wrench and not one of the nuts moved one mm. So not too bad!

I did run the reinforced floor and welded nut by Denny and he suggested we install the new Grandby Flatbed I ordered YESTERDAY with his usual grade 8 bolts with 4" x 6" 1/4" thick plates top and bottom first and then have my flatbed fabricator weld the bottom plate and nut to the bed. 

I'll check with my flat bed guy but I like the idea.

#26 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

Congrats on the new flatbed Durango!

#27 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Congrats on the new flatbed Durango!

Thanks, Vic! We love our Hawk flatbed/ 2012 Ram 2500 combo. But we never carry more than the two of us so thought we'd keep the same overall length and put the extra space back into the camper. It will be difficult to say goodbye to the old girl- in five years and 30,000 miles she has never let us down!

Flaming Gorge.jpg

#28 MrCrash

MrCrash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Durango,

Nice rig, for sure. Congrats!

And thanks for the input on the plates welded to the underside. That's what I am thinking would be a great way to reinforce and simplify the setup. I will probably use a thicker plate than 1/4 though, in order to be welded to the flatbed it will need to be aluminum and 1/4 of aluminum thread depth doesn't seem sufficient. 1/2 inch would be the minimum recommended engineering spec for Grade 8, and that would be steel. So probably need to be looking more like one inch. Easy enough. And yes, the flatbed fabricators will now this stuff better than I.

Just trying to determine how others are doing it.

#29 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

I think the idea was to use the 1/4" aluminum plate and then weld the nut to it after placing. But will check with my fabricator.

#30 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

I think the idea was to use the 1/4" aluminum plate and then weld the nut to it after placing. But will check with my fabricator.

I don't think you can weld a steel nut to aluminum. Maybe a better idea is to drill and tap a flat piece of steel for the bolt you want to use. Then have the flatbed fabricator make a pocket for it to fit into with a little wiggle room. You could position the camper, then use an awl to center the threaded hole for the bolt. Just thinking out loud.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC Flatbed, Flat Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users