• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#11 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

Honestly I think it is the best breakfast for you in the world and you can add anything you want.

Mmmmmm...... crab oatmeal with Hershey's syrup.  :blink:

Edited by Tuff Guy 62, 10 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

I don't know Brian might be going to far.But to each their own.

Happy eating.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Almost as good as chunky fish ice cream. :P

I am haunted by waters

#14 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

I never thought about if it was tasty or not.  I just always eat the stuff, 1 bag, but, often times two bags.  If you're heading to the gym, a long morning hike, whatever, not much better food to stay with you (in the gut) all morning.  And like others have said, boiling water for 2 things (my pour over coffee and instant oatmeal) is easy.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

<snip>  If I'm boiling water for my coffee anyway why not boil more and get 2 things out of one boil. I may have to get some oatmeal for future trips.

bingo!

<snip>

The best thing about it is you never crave simple carbs when you eat it and it really does keep you satisfied for hours.

Yup, my Dad said, "It sticks to your ribs" meaning you had added an all day log to the fire for fuel.

3 packages in the morning with whatever fresh fruit is available.............UPS stops about everyday so might was well bring some fancy goatmeal along. Thanks for the post Mr. Sage.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

I never thought about if it was tasty or not.  I just always eat the stuff, 1 bag, but, often times two bags.  If you're heading to the gym, a long morning hike, whatever, not much better food to stay with you (in the gut) all morning.  And like others have said, boiling water for 2 things (my pour over coffee and instant oatmeal) is easy.

Yep, that's what Ms. Tuff Chick and I do. Just boil water & go. Typical breakfast for us consist of instant oatmeal, fresh fruit or Greek yogurt and instant Starbucks coffee. No fuss, no muss, no dishes (paper bowls) and we're ready for the day's adventure.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#17 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:14 AM

So tonight I picked up some maple/brown sugar oatmeal at trader joes. Since I saw the "maple/nut" flavor mentioned here I've been thinking about the maple nut bars we had in our MRE's when I was in the Corps. I loved those things. So just now I looked up the "natures path" mentioned here. Heck I eat granola from that brand already. Pretty good stuff. So should I return the TJ's and go get Natures Path?

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#18 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:31 AM

So should I return the TJ's and go get Natures Path?

Eat and enjoy.  Nothing wrong with most of TJ's products.  Then buy you some NP.

I prefer the flax seed instant oatmeal.  Tends to have more fiber and less sugar than other add-on oatmeals.

Just took a look at NP on Amazon.  Much, much cheaper to purchase directly from Nature's Path web site.  Free shipping on orders over $45.  That's a month's supply of oatmeal!

Most negative reviews of both TJ and NP flax oatmeal is the sugar content;  11g and 10g respectively.

Edited by Advmoto18, 12 December 2016 - 11:49 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#19 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:49 PM

Stopped in a sprouts market and the Nature's Path is on sale for $3/box of 8 packets

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#20 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

I burned out on instant oatmeal mountaineering:  3 pack + powdered milk + boiling water + force it down before it freezes = yuck!

When not making eggs and bacon, I go with Bob's Red Mill 5 grain or 8 grain + heavy cream.  I takes a few minutes to cook but I'm not in any hurry.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users