36 replies to this topic

#31 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,333 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:09 PM

Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal. Add turbinado sugar, spice blend, dates, nuts, and any other suitable edible. It is not "instant" but is finely ground and pre cooked so is ready in a matter of minutes. Bagpipes not included. 

Our local stores stopped carrying Bob's Red Mill. Their pancake mix products were our favorites and you have prompted a desire to try the oatmeal - will it turn our pants into kilts?  It's disappointing to expend time searching out alternative ways to purchase.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#32 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Our local stores stopped carrying Bob's Red Mill. Their pancake mix products were our favorites and you have prompted a desire to try the oatmeal - will it turn our pants into kilts?  It's disappointing to expend time searching out alternative ways to purchase.

No kilts, but your neighbors will refer to you as Angus McBluegrass from now on. Next time we get together, give me your order and I'll bring it to you.

I am haunted by waters

#33 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Our local stores stopped carrying Bob's Red Mill. Their pancake mix products were our favorites and you have prompted a desire to try the oatmeal - will it turn our pants into kilts?  It's disappointing to expend time searching out alternative ways to purchase. Bob's products.

Frank

Ski if you find a "Big Lots" store they have a huge selection of their products.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#34 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:24 AM

https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B00KQ1MNSK

Buy 2 and get free shipping!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#35 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

Went to the Amazon link to check that out. Noticed that the Oatmeal was frequently purchased along with Edamame. Anyone here know something I don't?

Russ

Check it out ski, don't even gotta near town, and you can get breakfast.

Edited by CougarCouple, 27 September 2017 - 04:25 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#36 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

I buy a box (4 bags) at a time from Amazon. 

#37 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

For those on a budget or who don't want all the SUGAR and SALT and PRESERVATIVES in pre-packaged food, you can just buy some Quaker's One Minute oatmeal and some dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples) and put a daily amount you want for one or two persons and the particular fruit of the day in a baggie at home and then use a Tupperware carrier. Toss it all into a measured amount of boiling water and in a minute or so....voila! Breakfast!

I usually take a banana or two at the start of a trip for the first mornings' oatmeal and maybe at lunch, but after that they ripen too fast. I don't like the dried banana chips myself. You can add a dash of cinnamon to the mix if you want when you bag 'em up.

Any of the other brands of instant oatmeal that do not have all those additives are probably as good or better but it is the fruit you add that gives it a boost.

We always boiled water for the oatmeal then for general cleanup (KP duty) afterwards, but the first thing in the morning was to fire up the drip coffee maker and let the heat from that warm up my old Alaskan.

We found you could FREEZE the fruit also if you wanted to go that route and even use it for pancakes.

We also like to make our own, vs pre-packaged oatmeal, by boiling water the night before and adding steel-cut oats. Stir, turn off heat and let it cook overnight. Add sweetener, nuts, dry fruit, etc when reheating the next morning. We buy the oats in bulk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users